2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    I am not someone who criticizes what Tab does with the team since he is a good coach, but someone from this forum can explain to me how Amaya manages to be a titular player of this team without playing a minute several months ago.

Even he is not a featured player, but I do not understand what Tab sees in Amaya.

Maybe others make me understand that he is a good player, although I do not think so.

ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #602 ielag, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019

There’s a couple players every cycle that Tab just rates way higher than everyone else. I’m used to it.

The inexplicable one was Aaron Herrera over Reggie Cannon. And of course there’s Javan Torre.

Amaya, Torres, and Real are this cycle’s players.

gunnerfan7, deejay, ChuckMe92 and 5 others repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a theme here. He did it to a major degree in the WC where they got bounced it the first rd. It's clearly a Latin bias. Either it's because he's Latin or he's carrying out a directive from USS to ingratiate dual nationals.

But it's worth dealing with at this point because he's also frequently right about players we had an affinity for to like Wright. And his system in recent years has fit the program's pool well. He's gotten above average results. If forced to choose I'd take him over Berhalter for the US senior team tbh. We got miffed at the report he turned down the interim job as a trial, but he claims they never offered.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #604 ussoccer97531, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Here are our goals. Konrad is going to be hard for Ramos to leave off the U-20 WC team. He's better than Llanez, IMO. That second goal starts from a brilliant through ball from Carleton to Amon, and Carleton also nearly scored a nice free-kick but the French keeper had a nice save.

sakibomb523, Dirt McGirt, KUSA77 and 9 others repped this.
  5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Dest -> Durkin -> Dest -> Konrad -> Dest -> Konrad -> Goal on the first one.

6. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I really want to see Dest playing in Berhalters RB role

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, the weight and curl on that pass by Carleton on the tying goal … delicious.

largegarlic and kba4life1 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If all players are fit and available, none of those guys make the roster.

I mean, the reason that Real would make the roster is that he's versatile. He can play all along the backline off the bench if needed. That's the trait that Torre had (supposedly). Its not insignificant. HOWEVER, Jaylin Lindsey can do that at a higher level (just my opinion).

By the way, it seems that FCD denied callups of both Servania and Pomykal to this camp. So if that's the case, its probably players like Torres and Amaya that took their place.

By the way, I suggest folks watch the FCD-Rapids game today. The tea leaves point to Edwin Cerrillo starting in the midfield next to Pomykal. By the end of the day we might be saying "hey, hey, hey...…..………….that kid is pretty darn good.."

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They played their starters in their first game of the tournament.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this cycle has the most potential for surprising omissions. There were a few in the 2015 cycle, and the 2017 roster almost picked itself with all the players who weren't released from Europe. This cycle has a lot more players in contention for the roster, IMO. The defense is likely pretty close to what it'll be. Dest, Richards, Gloster, Lindsey will all be there. McKenzie will be, if released. Real, Keita, Araujo probably fill out the last few spots. The only big complaint I can see here is Real over Araujo, but Araujo would be playing up a cycle, and its unlikely they'd be competing for anything more than "versatile defender" spot.

The way I see it, Durkin is the only player in midfield/attack who I'm sure will be on the U-20 WC team. If Pomykal is released, he'd be the other, but he might not, so thats another question mark. If you look around the team, there are question marks.

Servania: Not at this camp. Been injured recently. Might've been passed by Cerrillo at FCD.
    Sands: Has received no U-20 call ups all cycle. Does Ramos rate what he brings? Would NYCFC release him?
    Amon: Form has dropped off significantly at club level. A lot of winger options.
    de la Fuente: Only his first camp. Hard to make the team playing up a cycle. A lot of winger options. Will Barca release him for the U-20 WC?
    Llanez: Won't play any club football this season, so form is a question. A lot of winger options. Hard to make the team playing up a cycle. How much do you weight qualification campaign?
    Taitague: If he is picked for the team, can he be relied upon to be fit? Form is a question. He's barely played this season, and isn't in this camp. Also a lot of winger options.
    Carleton: Not playing much at club level. Ramos has made critical comments in media about him.
    Ledezma: Hasn't played any club football yet this season. Might not end up playing any. Missed qualification due to injury. What is his form like?
    Mendez: Missed over half a season of club football. Questions surrounding his start at Freiburg. How much do you weight qualification campaign?
    Soto: Will he be released by Hannover? He didn't play that well in the qualification games he got. Might be behind on CF depth chart. Will Weah and Sargent be released?
    Rennicks: How well did he actually play in qualifying? Can he score goals? He's not played much at club level this season. Will Weah and Sargent be released?
    Ferreira: Will he be cleared to play? Will Sargent and Weah be released?

A few of these players are already going to miss out. There isn't any way to fit all of them into the team. There are also options like Akinola, Torres, Amaya, who would put more of them off the team, if Ramos picked them. In prior cycles, we could've afforded the odd Torre or Herrera inclusion, but this team has more options, and I think there's going to be a lot more criticism towards Ramos about this roster than prior rosters.

ChuckMe92, butters59 and Pegasus repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Luchi Gonzalez has said he's in regular communication with Ramos and the USSF. He's said that all players at FCD will be available for selection to the World Cup. If healthy, I think Pomykal is a lock. Everybody else at FCD is on the bubble or on the outside-looking-in anyway.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well put and neutral even on your personal favorites. It would seem that there are a lot of good players so that even with callups declined, injuries and Tab's favorites it will still be a very good team. I'd really like to see everyone called in except Adams who is firmly ensconced in the senior team to create a beach head for future success. Kill it at U20's, have a bunch of these kids move up en mass to the U23's and then within a year start matriculating in numbers to the full team.

rlrcpa, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to post the same thing. Luchi is all in on FCD being a developmental club that is very happy when any federation calls in their players as it reflects well on them and their academy.

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Let’s not forget that MLS wants to sell homegrown players and the championships are a good showplace for young talent. I believe Dallas has a plan to lead the league in offshoring youth players.

largegarlic repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @BrianSciaretta’s Tweet:

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think Tab has a chance to get Weah and Sargent?

17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They're not exactly lock starters for their teams. I can really see weah going, sargent depending on if bremen likes to release players for youth tournaments

18. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    USA 0:0 Japan at HT, US only had 1 shot, Japan had 7 shot. US got advantage on possession but have created very few chances.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 US over Japan in the 50th

Carleton comes off the bench at HT and scores

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Japan levels it up in the 63rd

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 63rd

22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's the final score.

Winoman, Maitreya, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    TxEx, Winoman, Sombrerito and 1 other person repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #625 LouisZ, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Has Christian Cappis gone under the radar for most of you? He certainly has for me.