2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #551 Clint Eastwood, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Comments about FC Dallas players, with news we all want to hear. Coach Gonzalez says that all players are available for World Cup selection, even starters (in other words Pomykal). FCD had to hold their players back for this week. It seems that Servania was the closest to being released. The injury to Hayes may have changed plans there...………………………

Another note? Bressan and Hollingshead left training early today. Bressan's sounds like a hamstring..

I can seriously see a situation in which 7 U20s are in the 18 this week: Pomykal, Cerrillo, Servania, Roberts, Nelson, Reynolds, Ferreira. It is really possible.

Stupid_American and Patrick167 repped this.
  2. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #553 bshredder, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    One of the differences this cycle compared with previous cycles is the size of the provisional roster that Tab must submit generally by the end of March. The rule book doesn't give a date but in the past it has either been March 31 or 40 days before the start of the first game when the provisional roster must be submitted.

But either way, the size of the provisional roster is up dramatically this year. It used to be 35 players - which coaches then must select the final 21.

Now the provisional roster is set at 50 players for 2019 (4 of the 50 must be goalkeepers). It makes sense to increase the provisional roster due to the growing reluctance from clubs to release players.

For Jesus Ferreira, he must be a citizen by the time the provisional rosters are due because a copy of a passport is required with the provisional roster. The required FIFA waiver is can be handled between the submission of the provisional roster and the naming of the final roster.

4. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Thanks. This explains a lot, and I think it plays to the advantage of the U.S. team.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    How?

6. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it allows Tab to take a few chances by holding provisional spots open for people.

He can burn two on Sargent and Weah until the roster is due while trying to convince their clubs to release them

He can perhaps work more on Balogun or Efra (if he rates either two enough). If Ferreira's citizenship comes through, he can play out the process of obtaining the FIFA waiver.

He can use one on Aaronson to see if he can build off his debut. He can keep injured players like Taitague and Ledezma firmly in the mix on the provisional roster by allowing them more time to recover.

A 35-player provisional roster only allows for 14 players who won't make the final roster.

The U.S. has a lot of question marks with injuries, late emergers, citizenship/FIFA issues, releases, etc. With 50 players, Tab can juggle these question marks for 6 more weeks to try to get answers.

7. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    What happens if the US and Mexico both put Efra on their provisional rosters? (I guess this would apply to Ledezma too...)

Winoman repped this.
  8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    With 50 spots I wouldn't be surprised if you and I are on the provisional roster too. Alot of throw away spots to play with. 29 non roster spots.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I get all that. I just don't see how it represents an advantage to us but not the competition. The additional flexibility is theoretically good for everyone, for all the same reasons. If that's all the original post was saying, fair enough.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #560 bshredder, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    In theory, it helps everyone. But I would be surprised if many other teams had as many important question marks as the US U-20 team

Taitague and Ledezma are two of the best players in the U-20 pool. Taitague is always injured and Ledezma hasn't played an official game for anyone in a long time (maybe that changed when I was on vacation but before I left it was last June).

Weah and Sargent could theoretically be released (while Adams has been ruled out by Berhalter).

Uncommited dual nationals are in play for all countries but a kid like Balogun seems impressive by most standards at this age group.

11. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never understand why the U20 World Cup doesn't allow 23 players like the men's.

Tom Collingsworth and ielag repped this.
  12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It’s a total smh. What’s 2 freaking extra roster spots. Especially for a condensed tournament.

13. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Brian said it well.

14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then the Olympics at 18

Maitreya repped this.
  15. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #565 Tactical Hipster, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Here is the lineup for the first game. Interesting notes, Akinola and Amaya starting with a lot of "star" power on the bench, but rotation is key in these quick games I guess:
    1109088076733788166 is not a valid tweet id

Edit: That same twitter user mentioned he will try to live tweet if no stream is released (I know he is more than a twitter user and is actually the businessman who wants to make that American Scandinavian team)

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    whats the deal with amaya?

17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I would agree except it’s two games and this France. I think this is what Tab considers his strongest XI (depending on form and injury).

18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What type of lineup is that? GB and Tab playing favorites

19. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was more grasping at straws

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Rennicks goes down with an injured hamstring, in comes Soto. H/T to this twitter account following the game.

1109096004014522369 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think so at all.........................

What is the purpose of this camp if not to make decisions on the last couple of roster spots? Spots up for grabs include the forward position. So you give Akinola and Rennicks this chance to show what they can do. [Unfortunately, it looks like Rennicks just got injured. That's a problem if its even semi-serious.] Amaya is on the bubble if everybody is fit and available from the midfield. So you challenge him with this game. At the keep position, dos Santos is on the bubble. Give him this game.

Let's be clear. The result in this game is 100% meaningless.

Down 1-0 by the way.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I dunno, it could be a useful measuring stick for...

Never mind. Meaningless!

;)

TarHeels17, eliwood, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  23. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Amaya against a France team is a huge challenge. It is for any US player, but when you are Amaya's size, this is putting him in the deep end as to the vastly superior physical players that he will have to figure out how to beat if he is going to be a successful high level pro. It seems like this selection in midfield is asking a lot of Durkin defensively.

bballshawn repped this.
  24. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    seems 0:2 at half time.

25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really rough
    Amaya scored the winner against France's U-21 team last year.

Winoman repped this.