2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Taitague has played winger in recent years.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taitague is a winger.

Read fantastic (shameless plug) his interview at Soccer America during the recent U-20 camp

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...ar-nick-taitague-on-his-bundesliga-quest.html

“I play left wing but I started out as a 10,” Taitague said. “[Tab] said he might still be willing to play me there because I can play either. But right now, I think my greatest strength for this team is when I get isolated out wide and going 1v1. I love the position in how [Tab] plays me all the way to the line and how I play out wide. It's a big switch from Germany -- where the wingers are always inside and getting the ball, almost as a striker. It's good to be back and just able to and pick the ball up out wide and just go at players.”

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    To clarify, from my reading of your Taitague quote, below:

Taitague is a winger who started out as a 10, and whose coach {Ramos} might still be willing to play him as a 10, because Taitague can play either position.

4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Very similar to Pomykal, I think, in terms of their preferred position and versatility.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So by my count, Tab has called up 70 players during this U20 cycle (not counting players just called to a U19 camp).

Of those 70, with the recent MLS (GA and homegrown) signings, 52 of them have signed pro contracts.

Two more - Julian Araujo and Uly Llanez - are 01s who will either sign in Europe as soon as they're old enough or sign a HG deal.

There are only 15 players who the U20 team has called up this cycle who are still college soccer players.

Eight of them, are products of MLS academies and, presumably, could be signed any time.

Justin Garces (Atlanta United), Fr. GK, UCLA (00)
    Justin McMaster (Philadelphia Union), So. F, Wake Forest (99)
    Glademir Mendoza (Real Salt Lake), Fr. D, New Mexico (99)
    Jake Morris (Seattle Sounders), Fr. D, Tyler JC (99)
    Mark Salas (FC Dallas), So. D, North Carolina (99)
    Greg Tracey (Colorado Rapids), Fr. M, Portland (99)
    Aristotle Zarris (LA Galaxy), Fr. M, Wake Forest (99)
    Sean Zawadzki (Columbus Crew), Fr. D/M, Georgetown (00)

It will be interesting to see if any of these guys pop up in MLS preseason or playing for USL teams this year.

Mendoza, who hurt his knee last summer, only played one game last fall and would presumably have 4 years of eligibility remaining. Where he uses it is up in the air as New Mexico dropped its soccer program though there are folks, including some politicians, who are fighting that. Regardless, he may end up transferring.

The other seven unsigned U20 players aren't HG eligible.

Simon Becher, Fr. F, Holy Cross (99)
    Gideon Davis, Fr. D, Denver (99)
    Jack Maher, Fr. D, Indiana (99)
    George Marks, Fr. GK, Clemson (99)
    Aedan Stanley, Fr. D, Duke (99)
    Seth Stiebel, Fr. GK, Saint Louis (99)
    Carson Vom Steeg, So. D, UC Santa Barbara (99)

Becher was listed as unaffiliated for the latest U20 camp so I'm assuming he's looking to transfer.

Presumably some of the above seven will be of interest for GA deals next winter.

Finally, one more player, Chris Nicola, a 99 forward from California, appears to have gone Keyser Soze on us. He was called into the first camp of this cycle. TDS says he was supposed to graduate from HS last year but he doesn't appear to have played college soccer last fall and I can find nothing about him going pro in the US or signing abroad.

Still, that's basically 54 out of 70 kids called up to the U20 camp this cycle who are already pros before they are old enough to (legally!) drink.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's honest to admit it.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Would the same thing apply to Real if he wins the Union’s LB position?

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like someone forgot to inform Ernst Tanner that MLS doesn't matter...

deejay repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bigsoccer intelligentsia hasn't corrupted him yet.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Are pro contracts for Booth, Fernandez, Perez or Soto official yet?

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full quote from Ernst Tanner... you really can't argue against his logic

"Mark is already in touch with the A national team so what are we talking about?"

deejay repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No...……..you can't.

The question is what McKenzie wants to do? Does McKenize want to go to the U20 World Cup? Cuz right now he might be at January camp, but when the games start to matter this summer I'm not sure he's a USMNTer yet. Is he going to the Gold Cup?

This was all just a matter of time. No surprise here.

We have to hope that other MLS clubs don't follow suit once Philly makes this opening. Durkin. Pomykal. Lindsey. Carleton. Even Bello and the U17s. The list goes on. One hopes not...………………..

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He detailed it in an article last week. It appears like Tenorio thinks this may be an issue that goes beyond Philadelphia, and could extend to other teams.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's really no need for Ramos to call McKenzie up again until right before Poland. It's it's hard to see this really being a huge deal unless Berhalter wants him for the MNT or the Union have major roster issues early in the season.

On the other hand, recent history suggests that U20s need really good CBs to advance. In 2015 Ramos was able to pull two guys up from the next age group who were ready to contribute and last cycle the group was, by YNT standards, stacked.

It's not so clear that he has so many options this time around.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The MLS final regular season weekend and the playoffs will take place during the U17 WC. Good chance we never see Bello with the U17's again this cycle.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    This might be the crux of the matter. It very well might turn out that Mckenzie will have to choose between Gold Cup and U20 World Cup.

18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I’m in the minority, but I am ok with any player not being released. If we want to be a top soccer nation, we need our best 17-20 year olds getting significant first team minutes as soon as possible. 1. It shows that they are talented enough and capable of playing with adult professionals and 2. It allows for their flaws and weaknesses to be exposed and forces them to improve.

As much as we enjoy the youth tournaments, it’s always more valuable to play the best competition available than it is to play against inferior competition in your own age bracket.

Personally, I’d like to get to the point where we have this many guys who aren’t released and are deep enough to play our b or c squad and make it to the quarterfinals or better. I remember saying that in 2017 and someone said “I remember my first cycle” (haha). But now I don’t really feel like we are that far off.

Teams like Germany and England have shown that they have enough talent to do that. We are fortunate not to have to deal with nearly as good of teams in qualifying as they do, so it’s much more realistic for us to think we can get there.

19. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Is there anyone to replace McKenzie and be at the minimum decent enough not to miss him?

20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not exactly the strongest position of this group

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That about sums it up.

One would think Berhalter and Ramos should be able to team up on a proposal to Philly that satisfies, or at least soothes, all parties.

Of course, what happens if MM gets hurt is another question.

Clearly Ramos needs to clarify his options at CB no matter how this resolves itself.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think most fans understand McKenzie not being released. Carleton or Bello not being released to youth competitions when they aren't making the gameday roster is absurd.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I agree that it's likely one or the other but not both, but I doubt McKenzie will do the choosing. It would be nice to think that he will be consulted, and I would hope he would not feel that the he is now somehow 'above' playing at the U20 World Cup. My guess is that he would look forward to playing there.

What I don't know is how this might be negotiated. Berhalter could approach Philadelphia and agree not to call McKenzie for the Gold Cup if Philadelphia releases him for the U20 World Cup. This could even be part of a larger multi-team negotiation, sharing/spreading the pain among several MSL teams, so that no one team feels particularly aggrieved.

LouisZ repped this.
  24. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's your chance to ask Philly's front office questions

1088562176003051521 is not a valid tweet id

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Let me work on my approach - maybe someone here can help me out. I'm trying to hit all the right notes, strike just the right tone.

Hey guys! Big fan! Love what you're doing for the city and the team.

I do have a question, though. Why would you say you've made it your life's work to ruin all that U20 Coach Tab Ramos has done to bring a World Cup title to the United States?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen ...