2019 Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Funkfoot, May 6, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I wouldn't put too much stock in news provided by someone named The Goat...

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    gotcha. certainly true. but we are talking about ITK here, which at its heart is an exercise in gleaning information from a wide variety of resources. perhaps all ITK should come with some kind of rating system. something like:

1 - truth
    2 - relevant information confirmed by club official
    3 - relevant information confirmed by WAG's hairdresser
    4 - conjecture based upon relevant information
    5 - conjecture based upon potentially relevant clues
    6 - conjecture based upon conjecture
    7 - utter fabrication

so my post could have read something like: 'The Goat', one of the regular contributors on SC has provided 5.25-level ITK stating that Eriksen has sold his house.

the system could probably use a bit more refinement, but I think the rating for this particular info is roughly fair.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, but my unspoken point was "why does it matter?" Look, let me put it this way. I've lived in 16 different abodes in my life in 8 different urban areas. I have friends who have done similar, but adding multiple countries. To me, somebody selling their house is nothing other than an indication that they are moving. And that could be because they found a better house, or don't like the area. Eriksen has a significant amount of disposable income. He can move easily. Hell, he could probably rent out his home if he wanted. To me, the only true indicator is when he arrives in the city where he is rumored to be transferring to, and/or meeting with a major person from that team.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe the neighborhood is full of gooners - enough to make anyone move.

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :D:D

I understand that you understand - and I get the subsequent question, the answer to which is, 'technically, it doesn't. It is not determinant in any way'. But, as you also know, I'm sure, this is all an exercise in folks trying to figure out what's going on. Speculation, if you will; because we all want to know if he's staying or going. And while Eriksen selling his house is, again, determinant of nothing, it certainly could be an indicator of something because, obviously, if he is to be leaving Spurs/London, selling his house is something that he would do.

Clearly we're talking in circles, here, as we each know what the other is saying. The point was made, and you don't weigh it heavily. No quarrels with that.

But surely you would concur that had your neighbor Ed been speaking to you about a very tempting job offer in Barcelona that might come through next Monday, and then you noticed his house going up for sale on Tuesday, your first thought would probably not be, "I wonder if Ed is moving across town?" And granted, you wouldn't start telling the neighbors "Ed is moving to Spain!", but you might say to the Mrs., "say, did you see Ed's house is for sale?".

I'm not saying Eriksen is gone (and neither, presumably, is the Goat), just that he's sold his house. Determinant? Certainly not. Indicative? Well … possibly.

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    House selling discussion aside, it will also depend on whether Florentino Perez is willing to meet Daniel Levy's asking price.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, that's a big question, too, because if that's the case, then we are essentially dealing with 'more of the same', and Poch will - if big sales are a prerequisite for big purchases - soon be on his way.

Levy ain't gettin' 120m for Eriksen, so if this is standard Daniel, it will drag on all summer, as will incomings, and we won't be significantly better come September than we were last week. The fact is that when Poch says 'we need to do things differently', he's saying that Daniel Levy cannot continue to manage - that is, squeeze every last pound (and day) out of - every transfer, in or out as he has done in the past.

It's a huge question, and hopefully it's answered* sooner than later. Because the later it's answered, the more likely it is that things will be as they've always been. And I'm not saying that's inherently wrong, but Pochettino won't be around for it much longer, I suspect.

*not Eriksen, specifically, but transfers in general. August 31st is too late.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Actually, the transfer window shuts down for the PL before the start of the season, which is August 10th this year. Which means the other leagues can still buy PL players after that date, but the PL can't purchase.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of things:
    1 - News is that Eriksen is not for sale.
    2 - Spurs have far more money this season than they did before. Even with the stadium costs, I can't see those funds being shoved into the back account in full.
    3 - thought that the transfer window was back to Aug 31 because of complaints by the EPL teams.

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The EPL's website lists the deadline as 17:00 BST on 8 August.

soccernutter repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks...some interesting players out there.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It is up to Real now and whether they want to pay Levy's price. And as we saw with Berbatov, Bale, Modric and Walker, and then Rose and Alderweireld last summer, Levy will not sell unless he gets his price.

This is textbook Real transfer procedure. They always ask the targeted player to first make a statement in the media that they want to leave before they make an official bid.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-eriksen-says-he-is-ready-for-a-new-challenge

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, saw that earlier. Will be interesting to see what RM bids.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #39 Golara, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    It's official, Hazard to Real for 88.5 milion. They have already spent almost 200 million on 3 players.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are the recognized richest club in the world.

16. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don’t see how real will pay more for eriksen than for hazard.
    so ... if it happens, no more than £55M...

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The Telegraph is reporting that the Hazard deal to Real is confirmed at £130 million including bonuses. Real didn't want to pay more than 88 million but Marina Granovskaia (Abramovich's right hand woman) held out for the higher fee and won out. So Levy's £130 million evaluation of Eriksen is not as far fetched as we thought.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smacks of 'backscratching' to help Chelsea with their financial fair play issues. There will be a day when Real wants a Chelsea player cheap and magic will happen. Meanwhile, Chelsea's books become magically more balanced.

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Not a transfer, but looks like Sarri to Juventus is done. One of the few open spots that might suit Pochettino. I guess Chelsea, but can’t see that happening.

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree. That job is toxic at this point. However well you do, you are only there for a year.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    There is no way Daniel Levy will let any of our staff go to Chelsea and vice-versa, he and Abramovich absolutely despise each other.

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then there is that guy, Arnsen.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    To be fair, I'm not sure it's particularly uncommon for folks who've done business with Levy* to absolutely despise him.

*in the football world, anyway.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Reports are coming out that Eriksen is interested in a new four year deal to stay. Hercules on SC is confirming that the reports are true, but says "it's all about the minefield of clauses".

That's gotta be a good sign, whether or not it comes off. Our best players coming off that CL run and thinking, "that's as much as I can do here" is a big concern, to my thinking. For a player, who we know brings interest from the biggest clubs, to see Spurs as an option is encouraging, at least to me.

BalanceUT repped this.
  25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That is because Zidane has made it clear he wants Pogba. Eriksen is now on the back burner for them as reported in Marca. Real is hopeful they can steal Eriksen for 60 million euros, but they should know better, having crossed swords with Levy in the past. Eriksen was only going to leave for a club like Barca or Real, but Barca have already signed their Eriksen in Frenkie de Jong.
    https://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2019/05/31/5cf104d722601df2498b456d.html