2019 Sud Ladies Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by toad455, Mar 22, 2019.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    To be played May 8 - 18 in France. Six participants: France, Japan, North Korea, Haiti, Mexico & Gabon. Teams are all U-20 teams.

unepommekun, blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They are all U-19 as they are all preparing for the 2020 U-20 WWC.

blissett repped this.
  3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Sud Ladies Cup schedule and info HERE

Games will be streamed free on youtube, facebook and twitter (info here)

sbahnhof repped this.
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    L'orange repped this.
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I watched the France vs. NK Sud Ladies Cup match, and it was pretty dull, a defensive struggle that ended 0-0, with France winning it on PKs. The North Koreans--or should I say the North Korean, as from a distance every player is nearly the exact same height with the exact same (sturdy) build and the same cropped hair, as if one player was cloned and is manning every position--kept eight behind the ball and the French found it nearly impossible to penetrate the opposition defense and get the ball into the attacking third.

NK countered effectively at least three times in the first half and might have had a goal were it not for a couple of good saves by the French keeper. The French were better in possession in the second half and dictated play but could still do little to threaten the NK goal. They had one opportunity when they finally got the ball in deep, near the front of the NK goal, and a French midfielder, I think, flicked the ball with her toe and nearly scored--the NK keeper tipping the ball over the bar. However, that was pretty much the only serious chance the French had all match--I think it was their only SOG. For its part, NK did nothing in attack in the second half, seemingly content to sit back and thwart the French--they either couldn't get forward at all or didn't want to try, I'm not sure which. All in all, as I say, it was a pretty lackluster game.

sbahnhof and Lechus7 repped this.
  7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    why did the France-North Korea match go to PKs?

8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Practice purpose I guess...

9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Tied at 0 after regulation time and there was no overtime period--they went straight to PKs, which France won 4-3.

10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Highlights from matchday one:

sbahnhof repped this.
  11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Mexico vs. N Korea (live)

12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    France vs. Haiti (live)

L'orange repped this.
  13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

Results

Videos

blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Was expecting a bit more from France in this tourney. The team was pretty solid, as some good young players, but really struggled in attack in the last two games--against Mexico (got its lone goal in stoppage time to tie the game and then won it on PKs) and did not score at all against Japan.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, not great a few players were missing Delabre, the OL and LOSC players, but still.

The tournament was a very important tool for our coach who now knows his 20 players squad for the Euros in Scotland.

And get games against potential opponents at the U-20 2020 WC.

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Shij: Do you know anything about Sonia Ouchene--midfielder for the France U20 squad? What's the skinny on her game?

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She is a good technical midfielder. Plays her club football in Spain and you can see it in the way she plays
    She could develop into a proper number 10 or just reach a plateau in the next few years. Hard to know.

L'orange repped this.
  18. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Top 6 goals of the tournament