2019 SheBelieves Cup

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Socarchist, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't think I handed in my amateur meteorologist license did you?
    Philly
    HI 55
    Low 29
    NNE 12
    Rain and drizzle
    Just think of all the money people are saving on suntan lotion. Different year same tune.

Nashville d*mn it, probably warmer at kick than Philly
    HI 45
    Low 26
    N 7
    Clouds

Tampa (Weather brought to you by Semb)
    HI 76
    Low 59
    N 9
    Clouds

CoachJon repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly (7PM ET)
    HI 37 (Possible brain, eyes or nimble fingers error above)
    Low 31
    NNE 6
    Cloudy

Nashville (4:30PM ET)
    HI 44
    Low 17
    N 12
    Clouds

Tampa (8PM ET)
    HI 73
    Low 60
    N 9
    Clouds
    Can't wait for the annual pre-match comments from USSoccer officials like...."Can you believe this weather" - H. Yes, it's Philly in frickin February, what did you expect.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know where you get your numbers from but I really think that Nashville will be about 10 degrees, or more, warmer at kickoff and there will be a chance of rain. The rain depends on the exact path and timing of an upper level low that will move into or near the area earlier in the day.

4. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why in the world do they insist on playing these games in late-February/early-March in the north? It makes absolutely no sense at all.

They're getting lucky the game isn't being played today or tomorrow when the temps will be about the same (upper 30's), but with 25-30 mph winds as well, which brings the wind chill down into the teens (~15°F).

There are recorded temperatures for EVERY game since 1998. The 5 coldest home games the USWNT has ever played are...

26°F - Mar 4, 2017 - SBC vs England @ Harrison, NJ (night)
    31°F - Nov 27, 2010 - WCQ vs Italy @ Chicago, IL (day)
    34°F - Mar 31, 2010 - Friendly vs Mexico @ Sandy, UT (night)
    35°F - Mar 1, 2018 - SBC vs Germany @ Columbus, OH (night)
    35°F - Feb 11, 2012 - Friendly vs New Zealand @ Dallas, TX (day)

The game in Utah was the famous Snow Game. The average high for that date is 56°F, so somewhat out of season.

The average high for Feb 11 in Dallas is 60°F, so that one is excusable.

The average highs for Harrison, NJ; Chester, PA; and Columbus, OH; for March 1 is 45°F. Not only that, but these games are being played at night when the average temperatures are in the upper 30's (and that's on an average day).

If someone gets injured due to the weather, some heads should be rolling.

5. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As of right now (a few minutes after you made your post), weather.com shows the following for March 2 in Nashville...

44°F High
    23°F Low
    AM Showers

6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highly placed operatives of the National Weather Service and accuweather.com.

Also a Snow Match d*mn it, well....frozen precipitation in various forms falling from the sky both diluting my beer and keeping it cold at the same time.

Kevin625 repped this.
  7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well I guess that various weather sites are in disagreement but it does not much matter as any temperature above about 35 is pretty pleasant for playing soccer and that is really all that matters.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, only one game is being played "in the north." Nashville and Tampa definitely do not qualify. As for the dates, that's when there are FIFA dates for a friendly tournament. To avoid the weather, they could send all the games to Florida or southern California, but people would complain about that, too.

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No matter where they play friendlies there will always be complaints.

There are a number of decent sites in the north where outside temperature matters very little but the lease might be prohibitive. Also most/all "indoor" sites use artificial grass and that could be an issue. (I do not know if any of the chosen sites are on fake grass.)

Personally, since I do not have much chance of ever attending, I think they should try Florida, Central/Southern Texas and California.

Having said that I really think that they should use just one site for the whole set of friendlies so as to make travel not an issue and move the site each year the games are played.

The real reason the games move all over is because the USSF wants to maximize income that the WNT generates as they are the cash cow of the federation.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean it is weird that they don't choose south west region of the US since the weather is pretty mild here but at least they are stopping by for a couple of friendlies in Ca in April. So I'll take that.

11. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Only 1 game this year, but...

2 of the 3 SBC games in 2018
    3 of the 3 SBC games in 2017

From 2017-19, 6 of the 9 SBC games were/are in the north.

jackdoggy repped this.
  12. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, there are always going to be complaints about anything/everything. However, making bad decisions greatly increases the number of complaints.

All 3 SBC sites are grass this year.
    I think we all understand why they move the games around... but they could have played Dallas/Nashville/Tampa, instead of Philadelphia/Nashville/Tampa.

DAL/PHIL are both 700-800 miles from NASH and both about 1000-1100 miles from Tampa.

There's just no reason to play in NY/NJ/PA/OH in late-February/early-March. It's just silly... and that's coming from someone who lives in OH, barely more than an hour away from Columbus where they played a SBC game last year.

I think the attendance would be severely hurt if all 3 games were at the same location.

jackdoggy repped this.
  13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or, or, or they could play ALL their games in Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

McSkillz and Kevin625 repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Or, well, you know, they could get back to a nice little place in Europe called Algarve. ;) I've been there and the weather uses to be lovely in March, except the occasional rainfall.

McSkillz, FanOfFutbol and Kevin625 repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I wouldn't mind, as I had planned on going to the Algarve on vacay the year that they started the SheBelieves tournament. I'm still bitter about the timing on that, but the USSF likes to make money (which I can't fault them for).

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    they must see something I don't. they really want this fox experiment to work.

must admit I don't see in her what I saw in college player brian when she was brought in.

but brian did make mistakes in the lead up to wwc 2015, and they still included her. she proved invaluable.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox was already in training camp as a practice player, so its not a surprise that they use someone already there as a replacement. The surprise for me is that Fox made the cut to replace Colaprico over Long, who is also in training camp.

20. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    There are many excellent players on my "Blue Team" that could fill-in nicely for Colaprico. They all have plenty experience, pace, IQ, etc. They could "Blue Team" as a reserve team for practice games, injuries, competition and learning experience. I'm sure the Red Team and Coaches would appreciate the Help!

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Why do you say they are the cash cow?

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Because of the money they generate and the low expense of the team.

One example is that the Women's head coach that has won the World Cup has been, until just recently, been payed less than the men's U20 coach that has won nothing or the U23 coach that could not even qualify for the Olympics.

The cost vs expense for the Women is what keeps the USSF execs in caviar and coke.

23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    During the long winter of our discontent with soccer games few and far apart in the U.S., I've watched some old games of the NT and the NWSL.

I want to put a plug in for Jess McDonald, not only to be on the NT but to play regularly as a sub. She's multi-talented, fast enough for a break away, talented with her head, possessing a long throw-in from the sidelines, and excellent defending in the box and on corner kicks.

For the NT, she can be a great sub in the latter part of games for both her offensive and defensive skills.

jnielsen and jjmack repped this.
  24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    again!

i’ve been preaching!!