Rumor: 2019 Season Player Movement Rumors & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bluecat82 repped this.
  2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

This makes sense. He has lost out on the number 2 spot to 20 year old homegrown Matt Freeze and takes up an international slot. Biggest issue is can they find a suitable 3rd keeper or if they think that either of their 18 year old academy kids are ready to earn a contract.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hat Tip: @Dead Fingers

Manny and Adrian REALLY want that Left Back.

Also, apparently the Loons are in pursuit of Ghanian Isaac Coffey, currently plying his trade with Sporting Gijon, former home of the recently acquired Robin Lod.

4. Fire twitter awash with Bornstein to Fire.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Is this a good thing? I think of him as being about 40 years old, but it turns out he's only 34.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Crew are supposedly picking up out of contract winger Younis Mokhtar, formerly of Staebeck.

7. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed by Dispatch and Crew website.

8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know this is behind a paywall for a lot of you, so the team is Al-Ahli and the fee is $3 mln with incentives that could increase it to $5 mln.

Article mentions that Acosta is unlikely to approve a move to Saudi Arabia, but it does beg the question of whether United would be willing to move him for such a price given that his contract expires at the end of this season.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rich get richer......If we only had a GM/Owner that was willing to do this.

12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well, to be fair, I think this is just a preemptive move on their part. He doesn't really fit into the line-up right now unless they move back towards a 4-2-3-1. He is either an a-mid or a wide player. In their current 4-3-3 he either slots in where Rossi or Vela play. We know he isn't replacing Vela so that leaves Rossi's spot or a formation change to get him starting minutes. I don't believe he is a pure center forward like Ramirez or Dio (and Rossi isn't either). I don't know enough about him to know if he can play in any of the current midfield roles, but seeing where he has played in the past I lean against it. So I really feel like he is a replacement for Rossi as it really seems like this is the last 6 months in the league for him (rumors abound this year about several higher level Euro teams scouting him quite a bit).

And the Fire really aren't in a position to do this sort of move right now anyway. Pretty sure that two DPs come off the books next year so the biggest priority is finding a DP that is at least near Vela levels. Then filling out a roster that can support that player or win when he isn't around. Then you can blow money on a youth DP that may or may not work. Else you just end up possibly wasting a DP slot and not making your team any better (see Orlando and Josue Colman).

mbar repped this.
  13. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know you know this, but another former Fire player doing great things for another MLS club. The rot starts at the top with the Fire.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a great call, looking back.

15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our owner doesn't like former FIRE players...

16. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like Nicholas Benezet is headed for Toronto.

18. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the Pavon deal is almost done.

Being reported that he is joining the Galaxy on an 18 month loan for a reported fee of $2 mln with a $20 mln purchase option.

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I'll believe that when I see it at this point. There are so many contradicting reports from the last day that I don't think anyone actually knows what is happening with that.

There are rumors that Michael Chirinos (24 year old Honduran international) is joining an MLS team. Originally it was SKC that was reported but other reports are saying it may be Vancouver and that is why they moved Venuto.

Next season related rumors are Miami signing the captain of the Venezuelan U-20 team, Christian Makoun. He was on loan with Juve's U-19 team last year. Also, Nashville has supposedly tabled an offer for South African left back Sifiso Hlanti.

20. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, there was a ton of noise yesterday around Pavon. Move looked set and then suddenly he was headed to Bourdeaux and next it was Fenerbache. We'll see, but today's news looked more solid. Guessing someone was throwing out some smoke to try to extract a little more dough outta the Galaxy.

Saw the same re: Chirinos. Looks set to Vancouver. Could be a nice signing, but overall I'm underwhelmed.

Miami looks to be moving full steam ahead. I've been impressed by how aggressive they've been. I also like that they are building around youth at this point. They look like they are going to try to compete from the jump. Really interested to see who they name as coach. Some big names have been bandied about.

Nashville looks like they are going to construct their roster a lost cheaper. More in line with Minnesota and Cinci. I've been a bit underwhelmed thus far. Though it was cool to see them announce a residency academy.

21. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I think it is way too early to make any calls on what they are going to do. While I wouldn't be surprised if they go cheaper than Miami (and fully expect them to) I think people put way too much stock in early signings. Atlanta made 6 non-homegrown signings before the end of the 2016 MLS season. Only Villalba played more than 1000 minutes. McCann played a shade under that and Jones played just about 500 minutes. None of the others ever played an MLS minute. LAFC made 4 and only Vela and Gaber ever played a minute for them. Miami is really the first one to go out and grab several players that really sound like they are starters in the summer window. So if Nashville doesn't make any signings it really shouldn't raise any red flags yet.

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Rodriguez transfer to LAFC is still on with the delay apparently due to issues between the player's agent and the club on the transfer fee that goes to the player.

1157347681926361088 is not a valid tweet id

Translation:

Brian Rodriguez has already reached an agreement with LAFC, there are differences between representative and club, but the deal is close

Details: player wants the 20% of the transfer fee (which he is owed). Team wants to give him 10%.

24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this move for DCU. Was hoping he'd come to DC after he got Zlatan'd out of LA. Or even before that, really.

jason1551 repped this.
  25. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya. I'm just reading between the lines a bit. Their GM previously said, “As much as it was game-changing to pursue players like [Miguel] Almiron and [Carlos] Vela for our league, it’s hard to maintain that level of spending for any club," Jacobs told MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday. “I don’t think it was just about spending money [for Atlanta and LAFC], but it was about spending wisely. There have also been teams that invested poorly.

For us, we don’t look at it as an arms race of trying to spend as much, or more, as those expansion teams as much as looking at how thoughtful they were in their process and spending wisely.”

Doesn't sound like they are looking to break the bank. They've signed a couple of players to MLS contracts already. Accam and Jones. They've already got Gary Smith in place. Jacobs has experience in this league. I think they'll be OK. I would just prefer not to see a repeat of Minny and Cinci's year one teams who were/are both hot garbage.

Hopefully these guys have seen that attempting to bring up a bunch of guys from your USL side and building solely through the the college and expansion draft and TAM is a recipe for getting hammered in year one.

Bluecat82 repped this.