2019 Season Membership Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I resemble that remark, too. My son will (for the first time) have a Nordecke season ticket next year, while I'll be in 226 again. Looking ahead to 2021, unsure as to what those new season ticket prices will be, knowing he'll be there and that I have other friends in the Nordecke, and being that I'm already knee-deep in midlife crisis mode (and the waters are rising), I may be joining you. I hope the kids can handle that much cool.

catfish9 repped this.
  2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell no... If I'm moving into that section, I'm going right smack dab in the middle. I may even start banging the drums. That is until my kids tell me I'm embarrassing them. The more I think about it, I just may buy one ticket in new Nordecke...for me!

stanger repped this.
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Really? Just looking at players who are of a much higher level than Josh Williams or Pipa, and with teams that have much more to lose I can show you Inter Milan where Conte came in and flat out said Icardi and Nainggolan did not fit into their plans this coming season. A Nainggolan who they had spent 25 million on a year earlier and Icardi who was their captain. At Roma this has happened with Gerson, Rick Karsdorp, and Bruno Peres just to name a few who had come to Roma with transfer fees of over 10 million. This happens all the time with soccer teams. I'm sure you could find dozens of instances in the EPL like this.

In baseball this has happened with my Phillies and Maikel Franco this season as the GM and manager repeatedly said he hasn't lived up to expectations, hasn't improved and there is next to no future for him with the team. Similar fates await a handful of pitchers for the Phillies. If I look at the Sixers over the years this fate happened to Evan Turner who was borderline terrible for the Sixers as a 2nd or 3rd overall pick, continually derided and eventually shipped to Indiana. This happened with Jahil Okafor when the Sixers decided he wasn't good enough to even play for a tanking team and sat him. Nerlens Noel faced the same fate as the Sixers bashed his work ethic and commitment.

It's certainly not uncommon.

4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I 100% agree with this. I've said it before and I'll never stop: Revenue is exponentially more important than results, though one does lead to the other.

But no one here was talking about corporate ticket holders not coming to games because the team sucks, rather private consumers and their reaction to the quality of play. The suites will get sold - we all hope - whether or not the team is any good simply because taking clients/employees out to a Crew game on a Saturday night is a fun, trendy, and impressive thing to do.

5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My group of friends and I have decided that 2021 (maybe 2022) will be our last season with Nordecke tickets. We've got the income and the bad knees/backs that we'd rather sit and enjoy the game.

But I'm glad to hear that this kind of backfill is happening. The Nordecke, though no one will ever admit it, needs elders and though you may feel creepy or what not hanging out with the 20s something I can tell you from experience that they'll look to you (out of the corner of their eyes, of course) for guidance. You do you when the time comes and in the meantime you're more than welcome to hang out with us in our late 30s/early 40s near the top of 141. I'm easy to find.

TKyle, stanger and soccerncbus repped this.
  6. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Not sure I would point to Philadelphia sports teams or Italian clubs as prime examples on sports professionalism but I did throw a softball out there for you. I guess I forgot that there are still clubs out there that are actively trying to hire people like Jose Mourinho.

My guess is even if they said that you would have found something else to complain about. You've set a bar so high on something that you have no control over and you post about it on the message board. Shame on me for responding and feeding the troll but there's an easy way to correct this...

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Attempt a gotcha question, receive a serious answer, get flustered, fall back on troll name calling while failing to acknowledge that several others agreed with the initial assessment on Bez’s email. Rinse, repeat.

I love this board.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think the quality of play in MLS is bad, you should have seen the NASL.... My dad, who was not a soccer fan. but took my brother and I to Atoms games, saw it immediately--and that was in the Ohio Stadium days....

9. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone else get the email this morning about the 2020 season ticket member event November 14th?

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet--just an MLS note about Seattle-Toronto yesterday.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a Bud Light sponsored Crew event.

I'd rather get kicked in the head.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm going since I have that day off work anyway. Might get a chance to chat with Bez.

13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got it.

Might stop by. I'm not much of a meet-the-team kind of guy but a few free beers might be enough enticement.

14. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure If I'll partake or not.

15. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Guess I was not lucky enough to get said email.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Standard Hall?

Truthfully it doesnt much matter since doesnt seem worth driving five hours round trip for 2 free Bud Lights.

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standard Hall is one if the trendy restaurant/bars in the short north.

Decent food and drinks but a little pricy. Certainly worth it for two free drinks.

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not seeing a lot of the usual suspect season ticket holders mentioning this event. Is this for new for 2020 members? I know I haven't received anything.

19. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    They may still have that group categorized stuff too, like, did you sign up for Social, or Family? Social would have gotten this mail, Family, prolly not.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not a new STM.

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be it, I am in the family group.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standard Hall is overrun by undergraduate OSU students. It has wooden wagon wheel type tables outside. Barely in the Short North, almost to 5th on High. Crowded AF on weekends.

I'd hardly classify that as trendy (or pricey).

23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YMMV.

I was only there once and thought the portions were small for the price.

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received the email, yet I will not be a season ticket member next year. Guess my fan score is taking another hit.

25. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Well that sucks. Plan on paying the $50 to get on the wait list for '21? (Which is really just another priority list.)

Here's hoping for a better schedule next year. '21 will be backloaded for home games.