2019 Season Membership Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jan 30, 2019.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm old, sit in 226, and approve this message.

2. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Ditto, ditto, and...ditto.

3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I counted fewer than 1,100 Ticketmaster tickets this morning for the 9/29 game. Surprisingly, a few in Nordecke. I didn't count how many there were if we included the resale tickets.

4. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm too old to go up in the 200 sections.

5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A letter from Columbus Crew SC's Tim Bezbatchenko:

Dear Crew Supporters,

On behalf of the Haslam and Edwards Families, Caleb and the entire organization, I wanted to send you a note of thanks for your support this season. Just about one year ago, there was uncertainty as to whether the 2019 season would ever happen for this Club, and it was dedication from supporters like yourself that kept this team in Columbus. Although we were in a period of busy transition to new ownership, front office and coaching staff, I’d be remiss if I did not say that we are all disappointed that we did not make the postseason this year.

Yet, after battling injuries and a difficult summer stretch of matches in which we did not deliver victories, we are confident in the future of this Club moving into 2020 and beyond. When the Haslam and Edwards Families brought Caleb and myself on board in January, we knew this would be the beginning of a special project on and off the field. This week’s groundbreaking is another example of the ambition of this ownership group, bringing a world-class and iconic venue for supporters downtown. As we make progress towards the summer of 2021 when the stadium is set to open, I want you to know that we will use this longer offseason to improve.

We have a core group of players that we believe we can build off of, and we’ll certainly be looking to add pieces to strengthen the roster as ownership, Caleb and myself are committed to contending for trophies and putting a winning team on the field. The future is bright for this Club as a whole, and we’re honored to help usher it into a new era.

As an organization, there are exciting times ahead, and I’d like to conclude with an ask of each of you. We need your continued support in many ways. Certainly, your renewal of season tickets helps ensure an atmosphere on matchday that gives our players energy, and we want to deliver an attractive product and an exemplary gameday experience. Beyond that, if you have not encouraged friends, colleagues, family and neighbors to come to a match, we’d ask for you to make that a priority this offseason. In pivotal moments in Columbus soccer history, the supporters have shown their true colors. Whether it was putting MAPFRE Stadium on the map during FIFA World Cup viewing parties in 2002, or the global recognition of the “Save The Crew” movement, Crew supporters have always helped bring this sport to those in their social circles to grow the game in Central Ohio. If you have not told a friend about the waitlist for priority in the new downtown stadium, now is the time. We need supporters to again champion soccer alongside us.

I have enjoyed meeting with so many supporters this year as the Club looks to re-connect with the community, and we know we have our work ahead, but I am encouraged. I look forward to Thursday’s groundbreaking event and what it will mean for our supporters and our city. Enjoy the day of celebration and please know that big moments on the field are in our future, and we are working hard to continue to deliver on our goals.

Glory to Columbus!

[​IMG]

Tim Bezbatchenko
    President & General Manager​

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TL; DR:

We acknowledge we have put a sub par product on the field this year. We have no idea how to market this team, and no idea why anyone would pay too see this team play. But is it true that you might have friends? Please convince them to buy tickets? Pretty please?

One Love,

Bez.

TrueCrew, 96er and Jim Bach repped this.
  7. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a few edits.

Jim Bach and hangthadj repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    One Love.

LaMacchia and Jim Bach repped this.
  9. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I did find it a bit odd the whole “pretty please bring your friends!” Line. I’ve brought 8 people this year who’ve not been to a game before. I doubt any of them would become season ticket members (except my 8 year old nephew and in his case, I’d be the one buying them) and considering the product on the field this season, I wouldn’t blame them. They need to do some serious outreach and pump a ton of money into marketing. The seats next to ours were empty nearly the entire season. They were bought buy a guy who owns a business and every game week, he offered them to his employees and nobody took them except for maybe twice.

10. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they were paid for and that's all that matters.

Kryptonite and hangthadj repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's not uncommon for a number of sports. Had a buddy who worked at a Columbus company that had Reds season tickets (between the dugout and the old home plate screen. They usually went unused for a weeknight game....

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're planning on going to the groundbreaking, here is the email the FO sent out this morning...... Note the parking options

upload_2019-10-8_10-25-1.png

Pauncho and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we will have to wait until the offseason to find out who exactly are the core players.

14. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Who cares if they don't become season ticket holders next year? The important thing is that you exposed the product to 8 people who've never been before. Maybe 6 of them hated it and will never return again. That sucks, but guess what? Two of them didn't hate it and now it's an entertainment option for them.

Obviously the team has to do their part to market themselves and get into the forefront of peoples minds in terms of entertainment options, but we can play a huge role as current fans. If people have never attended a game, and especially if they aren't already a soccer fan, they are not very likely to ever try it out unless someone invites them. We should all take your lead and invite as many new people as we can throughout the season. If you are able to at least convert one person into a casual fan each season, that's a huge win. We can convert people into casual fans, and the team can take it from there.

15. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Yeah, this crap sucks pretty bad and I am more than a little disappointed. Bez is part of a business, if you want me to market this stupid team full of garbage coached by a turd then send me a check. Knock it off with this we are a family nonsense. Go get some players worth buying a ticket to see.

Jim Bach and hangthadj repped this.
  16. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    He never told you to market the team. Get over yourself.

He was simply saying if you are a fan of the team and care about helping the team grow, maybe invite a friend or two to come along and check it out. Why this is a controversial statement is beyond me. If you go to a new restaurant and you like it, you tell your friends to try it out with you! If you find a new band and like their music, you tell a friend to check them out! If you have a good experience at a vacation resort, you recommend it to your friends!

17. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    It becomes a problem when the restaurant I'm at sucks, like REALLY bad, then the chef comes out and starts telling me to tell all my friends to please come, it would really mean a lot if I just told all my friends to please come to this stupid restaurant who just served me a plate full of regurgitated cow rectums. I would be pretty pissed off, were such a thing to happen. Because yeah, I do keep dragging myself out to this stupid place against all logic and reason and advise of family! I don't know why!! And now you want me to, pretty please, just get some more people to come out? Nah. No thanks.

18. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Ok, if you aren't a fan of the team anymore then Bez is not talking to you. One bad season caused you throw away your fandom. It's unfortunate you are that fragile, but oh well.

LaMacchia repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Horseshit.

Look the team finished 20th out of 24 teams this year. Bullshit open letters from sports teams expecting to explain away failure need to stop.

The letter by and large was just excuse making and makes me worry more about the direction of the team than if they just kept their mouths shut. Of course the first excuse falls back on injuries. It's been stated here ad naseum, but losing an overpaid bottom 10 in the league attacking midfielder is not the reason for the terrible season. The supposed core of players and the coaching staff who put together an MLS record winless streak and failed to protect leads down the stretch is the reason for the terrible season. If Bez and Porter can't own that we are in deeper shit than I thought.

This team in and of itself wouldn't exist without fans bringing friends to the stadium and the groundswell of support that was part of the Save The Crew movement. Of course these people have brought friends to the stadium this year and last and went week after week to watch one of the worst products in the league drop points at home with shocking regularity.

Instead of talking about what is needed out of the supporters who have saved the club and been suspected to 34 weeks of dreck the focus should be on what FO is doing to ensure that a season like this isn't repeated again. Instead of begging you to tell your friends to spend money on a terrible product, the focus should have been on what our billionaire saviors are gonna do to improve the product.

It's a ridiculous letter lapped up by apologists and excuse makers who are still of the mindset that we are lucky to have a team and who believe that their should be no accountability for the teams pathetic performances this season.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to bring friends when you don’t come to games yourself, right ivory tower man?

soccerncbus repped this.
  21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree that that’s all that matters.
    Yes, the seats were paid for. A good thing indeed. Income for the club.
    Yet would it not be better had there been actual people in those seats? People that might have had a good time (in spite of the on field results), and that might want to come back and spend their own money on their own seats?

22. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Imagine being this fragile....

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think the fundamental issue here is Bez's definitely seems directed to individuals who are more interested in a "fan score" than the actual figures on the scoreboard or the standings.

Every team in every city has this section of fans. Fans that will brag about perfect attendance. Or build a man cave full of paraphernalia. They have all the bobble heads. Used player jerseys and shorts. The license plate frame.

These people are diehards. They are gonna continue coming to the game no matter what. Honestly, they don't even need a letter. They are fans of being fans. It's central and core to their identity.

But there are others who are fans of the team, Columbus Crew. Some watch fom home. Some come to a handful of games. Some may not come when it's raining or bad weather. They may not care about the perfect attendance award. They want to see the team do well. They'll support in ways different than spending hundreds of dollars on a shit product if life circumstances dictate it so. And many of them are people who see the product on the field, see at least 19 teams ahead of us, and see a letter like this and roll their eyes. And rightfully so. It's an embarrassing letter, with an embarrassing ask, at the end of an embarrassing season.

zman31 and djtrinidad repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fragile? Sounds Italian!!!!

kgilbert78 repped this.
  25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of bug do some of you have up your butts?
    Bez asks that we try to grow our fan base by bringing new people out for games.
    “Oh, I’m offended. We suck. I’m not doing his job for him.”
    Since when did our fandom hinge on winning? Do we only bring people along if we win? What is that yardstick? We have to make the playoffs? MLS Cup or bust?
    Growth helps foster success. Get off your high horse and do your part.

Pauncho, LaMacchia, DGA57v2 and 4 others repped this.