2019 Season Membership Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jan 30, 2019.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS and/or it's franchises historically host Heineken Rivalry Week events all over the league during said week. We "dullwitted midwestern dolts" have not been privy to such fanfare in the past for the simple reason that we haven't had such a close geographic rival until now.

stanger, eboe and BigStern repped this.
  2. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I also took the 'favored start times' survey. Based on the options, I'm guessing an early/mid-afternoon start time on Saturdays is just never going to be an option. Look, I go to the games anyway, but I've said it many times that a 3:00 pm kickoff would be ideal, since I could go to the match and do something fun that night. Instead my Saturday nights are spent being angry and miserable with 10-12,000 of my closest friends...

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I voted for the midafternoon start times early in the season on the theory it would be warmest then. Later start times of course in hot weather.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like night games. The games only start around dusk (typed this as SUCK twice, guess you know my subconscious feelings about how good this team is) early in the season. This time of year we're getting there well after halftime. Late season only starts after daylight savings time goes off.

With lots of Crew families having soccer playing kids, 3pm kickoff in the spring and fall really hampers my ability to do both things. We have a lot of Saturday games with start times of 1 or 3. Lots of the tournaments have a morning and afternoon game on Saturday and afternoon Sunday. I'd rather see a Friday 8pm kick than Saturday afternoon.

The nice thing about the new stadium it that is sort of addresses @Jim Bach 's issue. If you go downtown for the game, you can easily make an evening of it with a before and/or after event. Early dinner and beers before and tapas with cocktails after. You'll barely even know you were miserable for 2 hours in between.

Alneri and LaMacchia repped this.
  5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just my opinion of course, but based on your presence here in these forums, and your Twitter rants about these forums, I’m guessing “angry and miserable” are constant moods in your life.

But again, just my opinion.

stanger, Kyle Crew and the_rickler repped this.
  6. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    You should probably take a survey of the people who post here and know me in real life, because I imagine they would tell you something very different.

7. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

zman31 repped this.
  8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He Twitter ranted about the forum?

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The last time I saw Jim in person he bought me a drink and when I offered to pay him back he complimented me on my wallet. I enjoyed his company.

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The racism discussion got under his skin enough to throw the forum under the bus.

11. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else take advantage of this offer? I got a room, and one of my friends got waitlisted but hasn't heard anything else.

Anyone here hear anything?

12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be biased because @Jim Bach and I are friends in real life, but I didn't read it like that at all. Frustrated, sure. Throwing the forum under the bus? Nah.

hangthadj and chr1st repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1163839311831281664 is not a valid tweet id

I don't know Jim personally so I will defer to your characterization.

14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Jimmy.

Could you stop tweeting during Algebra? School policy frowns upon that.

I apologize in advance for my flippant posts. This stuff has grown past the absurd.

15. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this, Fight Club?

Agreed, the absurdity is strong recently. I am fighting - successfully, so far - the urge to full out troll the whole damn thing to satisfy my base urge to see a spectacular internet implosion. I respect this place - and what it stands for - far too much to contribute to its demise.

I just want to f*cking know if anyone from these Goddamn boards is going to be in Cincinnati on Saturday night drinking free Heineken and gazing in awe at a human-sized Lite Brite installation.

chr1st repped this.
  16. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I will be there. She doesn't drink, but I'll be having a few bad beers. I think it is worth it for a free hotel room. I'm wondering how they are going to enforce the everyone needs to go to the party rule though. Apparently it is a first come, first served gig with unlimited tickets and a very limited capacity.

17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not so excited about the beer.

I'm also curious how they'll enforce that. And if we have to stay the whole time. But yeah, for the free hotel in Cincy this just became a full-fledged weekend away. We're dropping the dog off at my folks on Friday night and heading down early Saturday to go to a museum my wife has her eye on (something about signs), and not coming home until Monday evening (we already had a hotel booked for Sunday night).

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was the one who made the Pele comment. In part this was because of the "all or nothing" nature of this discussion. We were getting a lot of "always" and "never" types of comments.

My point has been that while racism can be a factor, it's not the only factor. Mentioning Pele doesn't mean that some soccer fans aren't racist but that folks can and are able to look beyond and grow beyond racism. We all carry our own set of biases. What we do with them is what counts. Always crying racism is the modern equivalent of "the boy who called wolf". Remember, in that story, there really was a wolf. But no one was listening because that's all they'd been hearing, ad nausium.

don gagliardi, stanger and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  19. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Tickets were "sold out" when I tried to grab some. Already had plans to stay with a friend though.

20. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

May 11, 1999
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Originally I was just going to let this asinine post go with a simple, 'I'm actually a pretty happy guy IRL' post (see above), but given last night's match I've decided differently. This is, last I checked, a Columbus Crew fan forum. It's not a forum to discuss puppies and kittens (I like both, for those keeping score), nor is it a forum to discuss our gardens (my tomatoes are doing VERY well, my peppers not so much), it's a forum to discuss a sports team. Now, leaving aside the very compelling argument that one of the reasons people follow sports is to channel their anger and misery into more socially acceptable venues, OUR TEAM SUCKS. This is a disaster of a season that the term 'dumpster fire' can only begin to describe. The team is horrible, the coach is an egomaniacal dolt, and our only good new signing is a rental who gets minimal playing time. Yet, because I come here and discuss these issues and express my feelings about them honestly, I'm branded with the label "angry and miserable."

How about this, oh fellow forum members who are so quick to brand any poster here who doesn't subscribe to the predominant groupthink mentality as not a "true/real? fan of the team - if you aren't angry and miserable about the current situation then you probably aren't a real fan yourself. This team has problems, and hardly anything that the new ownership has done leads me to think those problems are going away anytime soon. Sure, they pay lip service to the idea that we, the fans, are the true owners and they're just the teams custodians. And while it is nice to be appreciated, even if it's little more than a feel good marketing strategy, that's not putting points on the board. In a little less than a year we've gone from the cuddly little group project everyone else in the league felt sorry for, to a laughing stock. Yet, by expressing that, I'm "angry and miserable." All I can say is, if if you're really a fan of this team and you aren't angry and miserable over the current situation, maybe you're not a real fan after all.

Draghignazzo, Dr.Fever, catfish9 and 5 others repped this.
  21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel personally attacked.

/s

Ch(Elsey) and zman31 repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try acting like a martyr. It is highly fashionable around here.

stanger and LaMacchia repped this.
  23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Has Markus had real ice cream lately?

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #374 Ch(Elsey), Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Am I allowed to answer this question? Does not seem soccer related.

Edit:
    Email reminder on auto renewal.

[​IMG]

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Ice cream after a soccer game is a treat for kids. As long as it's not crappy Pav's.