2019 Season Membership Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jan 30, 2019.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I figure it's probably worth having a season membership thread.

Well, the ticket exchange policy for season memberships just came out. I'm disappointed that they're moving from 10 exchange dates down to 6. My ticket rep told me it would be "at least 9" and probably 10 when I ordered mine.

https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/tickets/membership/exchanges

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually find a friend to give mine to--one who usually would not be able to afford to go.

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a bit disappointing. My potential rep informed me they were keeping the larger exchange policy as a benefit to full season (I complained about the reduction in exchange dates for half-season, as I have trouble planning too far ahead with kids and baby-sitting, etc.)

4. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the other way to look at it is expectations of larger ticketed crowds which means they can't give as much access to ticket exchanges.

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume that fans are going to have to get used to ever more strict ticket exchange policy limitations when and if the club starts meeting the kinds of season ticket sales and wait list goals that we think they need to reach if we're going to compete with the upper tier of clubs. Which, you know, has to be the goal.

Fwiw, here's KC's exchange policy:
    https://www.sportingkc.com/content/future-game-exchanges

And if I'm reading this correctly, you can't exchange tickets you aren't able to use in Portland:
    https://www.timbers.com/tickets/policies

We can't have it both ways; the flexibility to swap out tickets for whatever game we want, and a club that routinely sells out the stadium. The two things are contradictory.

6. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I completely understand that.

I'm not complaining about the policy as much as I am disappointed that it makes purchasing a half season ticket impractical for me. It was a benefit we've had in the past that is going away. I never expected it to go on indefinitely, but I can be disappointed in its reduction.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, I can trade out of three games with my Blue Jackets Quarter Season package--which I use almost every season, due to unavoidable schedule conflicts. Surprisingly, I was able to trade *into* a Pens game this season.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    My rep told me the policy would be the same as last year. Only 1 match after June? That's pretty limiting.

9. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was my issue when I last had half season. There were 5 possible exchange dates, and 3 of them were in the first 5 games (and one of them was the 1st game, which every half-season package had at that time.

I understand you don't want everyone trading all their unused tickets for the last game and trying to scalp them. But only having or or two dates after May doesn't leave many practical options.

10. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    In their defense, there are only 6 total home games after June.

Truthfully, last home game of the season and the FC Cincinnati match make sense to not be listed but the rest should be. 7/6 has a high likelihood of people having conflicts so it seems likely for that one to be one of the most switched out games (although Seattle is a premier opponent). There's no reason the 7/20 Montreal or 8/31 Fire match shouldn't be options to switch to.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have a schedule conflict for July 6, which is a bit of a bummer as I would expect the Crew to honor Sigi at that game.

12. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wouldn’t the Galaxy match with GBS in the house make more sense as the game to honor him?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the other choice. Maybe they'll honor Brad Evans at the Seattle Game.

14. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we honor Brad Evans?

stanger repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massive Champion and he retired this season.

I hope and expect to see a lot more events honoring our heritage with the new ownership.

TrueCrew repped this.
  16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was here for 2 seasons and only started about half the games in 2008.

Are we going to honor Andy Iro and Jason Garey too?

LaMacchia, crew2112 and jairadballerina repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of them were major fixtures in our league. Evans was. And he was a starter in the final.

18. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh.

I won't boo him if they give him a framed jersey or something pregame sometime. But I also don't know why you'd bother really.

It's not like it's an OSU football game where you have 50 media time outs you need to fill so you honor everyone and their step brother.

Hope I didn't come off as snarky on that last one. Was actually coming back in here to change my other similar players to Ekpo, who probably had as many starts that year and, at least in my opinion, a greater impact. Granted Sigi disagreed with me as he took Evans with him to Seattle for a reason.

19. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Your memory seems to be failing you. Evans started 26 games in 2008. Every game in the playoffs. Scored a goal in the playoffs. Ekpo, who I thought was awesome and at the time wrongly screamed for him to start ahead of Eddie Gaven, was firmly a second teamer. Solid depth. Brad Evans was a critical piece of the 11 that demolished the souls of the rest of the league. He was really, really good.

Jim Bach and TrueCrew repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see us start honoring our history by honoring retired players when they retire, especially ones that end up having a long career in our league (Ekpo didn't). We've done some of that in the past (and in the way you noted) but haven't as much for a few years. Evans had a large impact *on the league* even if he wasn't here as long.

You see this in other sports. The Phillies made a big deal of honoring both Jim Thome (I got lucky with a very rare business trip and got to attend Jim Thome Day, which Ryan Howard honored with one of his last homers--a grand slam) and Doc Halliday when they retired (mind you, both did make the Hall), even though they were not with the team that long.

One way that teams that really connect with their communities is to honor their heritage and history.

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    26 Games played, 18 Starts. But yes, at 1700 minutes (9th on the team), more playing time than I thought.

22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Ch(Elsey), Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    So what are the ways I could sell the tickets to the games that I know we will not be able to attend? I did the responsible action, and I put all of the games that we will attend in our joint iCalendar. That left a handful or so games that we will not be able to attend.

We have four Nordecke tickets. Paid off. Renewed early at the lowest price. I do not think I have ever resold Crew tickets before because either due to not needing to or not knowing the available methods (especially now that Ticketmaster controls things).

edit: I heard that tickets will be loaded into accounts by the end of next week, yes?

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored goals in that title run. National teamer. If we could have retained Sigi he likely stays.

24. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    All you need is an e-mail for the buyer. You can transfer tickets through the account. The price is not listed and the purchase would take place separately from the transfer. So, I would say to post your tickets to Nordecke Ticket Exchange on facebook (If in Nordecke) or one of the other groups in there. There are also buy/sell pages made on Reddit for each match. You set the price, agree on a money transfer platform (PayPal, CashApp, Venmo), ask for the money, then send them the tickets. They accept the transfer and it leaves your TM account and goes into theirs.

Kryptonite and hardhead repped this.
  25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also StubHub--but there are service charges to both buyer and seller that might make it a poorer option.

For me, I have a list of friends who would like to go but can't afford it or are doing things like Big Brother/Sister and the like. My way of building the game.

Robbiegoal repped this.