2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    TheWarmBurger, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    When is Altitude sports going to cease to exist? Can’t be that long from now right?

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction is that they make it through 2019 but if they don't get back on one or two of the big three providers in Denver by the holidays they're done.

I also saw yesterday that DirecTV and ESPN are now in a carriage fight. Altitude is small potatoes if DirecTV is willing to stand up to Disney.

Sports Yak and Centennial repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    My biggest beef with KSE is the blackout. I totally (maybe not totally) understand why you would have home games blacked out when you aren’t selling out. You’ll get up to 100 more in attendance.
    What I don’t and will never accept is blacking out away games on a service I’m paying for. For what purpose? So I can watch on their sports channel that is no longer carried??? Why not unblock those so we can watch while they negotiate????

Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that's their pressure point. If we can watch the Rapids on ESPN+ and the Avs and Nuggets aren't in season, what pressure will there be on DirecTV/DISH/Comcast to make a deal? Its not like there's a ton of fans clamoring for their weekly golf course update or whatever other filler they use during the summer.

Andy126 repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ah. Clever.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @JasonMa I know you have done a long list of "Rapids Record Holders" (which I can't find), Trying to figure out the single season goals record-holder.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey at 16 IIRC

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, per a quick check of the Rapids website info.

What's really depressing is the 10 seasons, including the last 4, where the leading scorer was in single digits...

10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Looks like they added pre season Avalanche fans to the list.

They brought up the fact that altitude will be airing the Avalanche vs Las Vegas on the 17th... but ...

From their website:
    “As things currently stand, Comcast (xfinity), DIRECTV and DISH Network subscribers will be unable to watch any 2019-20 Avalanche television broadcasts, as each have elected to drop Altitude Sports from their lineups after their contracts with Altitude Sports expired in August. While Altitude Sports has been negotiating throughout this entire process with the three former cable and satellite carriers, the Big Three continue to deny viewers the Altitude Sports programming they want to watch. “

The only issue with using fans as pawns is that this fan is finally getting to the point of cord cutting. I only have kept cable/satellite due to the availability of channels like Altitude. I needed a “kick in the butt” to take the final step and rid myself of these astronomical charges that keep going up faster than healthcare.

I’ll give it another month but will most likely gain my freedom from cable/satellite TV before years end.

11. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    So, thanks to all of your help, we made it to our first match! Andddd.... we will be buying season tickets for next season, on Monday! What a blast.

Thanks again for all of your help.

[​IMG]

12. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    1172150920244690944 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    anyone seen the Eastern Conference table? We would be 3 points off the playoffs over there. Crazy where we could of been if we had done this at the start of the season too. Could of been looking at a home game in the playoffs

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1172018721583288320 is not a valid tweet id

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see that Fleming is still announcing, was worried with Altitude TV issues that he wouldn't. Nice to pull up ESPN game highlights and see he was calling the game.

22SteveD and Soaker888 repped this.
  16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The year we won the cup we qualified for the Eastern conference in the final spot and won everything. That was the final straw for MLS then they changed the rules to prevent that from ever happening again.

We can still do it with a miracle. (Qualifying in the west of course) Zlatan would hate that based on his anti MLS rant a month or so ago.

17. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I love the 15 minute summary highlights that MLS site put up after each game. Makes the hate from KSE towards their fans a bit more bearable!

FtCollins repped this.
  18. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    I wanted to know how the Pids could move up over the next few weeks, so let's look at the best case scenario.

Here's the current playoff hunt:

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    5. San Jose - 44 - 29
    6. PTFC - 43 - 28
    7. FCD - 43 -29
    --------
    8. Gals - 42 - 29
    9. SKC - 37 - 29
    10. Pids - 36 - 30

We're in a bit of a hole w/ 1 more game played than the rest of our competition, but not out mathematically yet. Let's put some scenarios out there re: this weekend's matches:

Weekend Fixtures - 9/14-15

NYC vs. San Jose - The Pigeons are home for this one. Though they're without Heber, NYC has only lost 1 time at home in 2019. My gut is they take all three points from the Quakes.

Portland vs. D.C. United - DC's been sluggish lately but I expect Portland to take care of business at home. Realistically speaking I don't think we'll ever overtake the Timbers, so let's give 'em 3 points here.

Chicago vs. F.C. Dallas - Dallas has to travel to Chicago, who have only lost twice at home this season. However, they have drawn 6 times. Basically a toss up but for the Rapids benefit let's assume Chicago takes the W.

LA Galaxy vs. SKC - This is the big one. Rapids really need LA and SKC to split the points on this one. Three points to either team would make the Rapids road tougher as we enter the final month of play. Let's assume it's a draw.

Finally, against all odds (including Price being out due to suspension), let's imagine the Pids get the win on the road in Toronto as Fraser's miracle continues to deny his former club any points. Maybe it's because Toronto rests their starters for the CanChamp the next week? :)

After the above weekend, the table would look like:

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    5. PTFC - 46 - 29
    6. San Jose - 44 - 30
    7. FCD - 43 - 30
    --------
    8. Gals - 43 - 30
    9. Pids - 39 - 31
    10. SKC - 38 - 30

That puts the Pids up in 9th, with 3 games left to make up a four point difference. That's still doable, but we need some help. Let's look at the next week:

Midweek Fixtures - 9/18

Portland vs. NYRB, Seattle vs. Dallas - Portland will likely extend their streak and defeat the Red Bulls at Providence Park, but Seattle (9-2-3 @ home) hosts Dallas. Let's give three points to the rave green team with a full squad available after the international break. The table then would be:

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    5. PTFC - 49 - 30
    6. San Jose - 44 - 30
    7. FCD - 43 - 31
    --------
    8. Gals - 43 - 30
    9. Pids - 39 - 31
    10. SKC - 38 - 30

Weekend Fixtures - 9/21-22

This is where the fun begins.

Atlanta vs. San Jose - San Jose has to travel to red hot Atlanta where they are sure to struggle to get more than a point. Let's assume the 5 stripes manage to do what FSL was able to do this weekend and keep San Jose down.

SKC vs. Colorado - The first of two ENORMOUS six-pointers if we're seriously considering a playoff push. These scenarios largely require the Pids to win out, but if they lose this one they'd be DOA heading into the last weeks of the season. Assume Fraser's win streak continues for the sake of the scenario.

LA Galaxy vs. Montreal - Would really need the Galaxy to drop points here. I doubt it happens but Montreal is fighting for a spot too and the Galaxy (last night at least) looked to be really mentally depleted. I don't think this Galaxy team has the mental fortitude to push for the playoffs, esp. if they play out the season like last night. Either way the Pids need the Galaxy or Dallas to drop points on a weekly basis headed into the final weeks so let's assume it's the Gals.

F.C. Dallas vs. NYC - NYC's at the top of the EC and has a 6-4-4 record on the road. I think they can handle Dallas but let's assume it's all square.

Except for SKC the week after this, Portland is playing out their season at home. Hard to see them drop any points from now on so let's primarily focus on 6-10 of the table.

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    6. San Jose - 44 - 31
    7. FCD - 44 - 32
    --------
    8. Gals - 43 - 31
    9. Pids - 42 - 32
    10. SKC - 38 - 31

Midweek Fixtures - 9/25

MUFC vs. SKC, FSL vs. Galaxy, San Jose vs. Philly - Sorry but Sporting isn't gonna travel to the twin cities with their record this season and get three points. I think it's an easier one for Minny. Let's also assume LA salvages a draw on the wrong side of the rockies (I can't in good conscience abide by a scenario where we have to cheer for them to win anyways). San Jose will likely stop the bleeding now that Almeyda is finally back with the team full-time after his suspension and with a home record of 10-3-2 (as of right now), I think they beat the Union. Maybe watch for a draw here, though.

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    6. San Jose - 47 - 32
    7. FCD - 44 - 32
    --------
    8. Gals - 44 - 32
    9. Pids - 42 - 32
    10. SKC - 38 - 32

So we're finally even on games played. Let's drop San Jose from the discussion and SKC while we're at it.

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    7. FCD - 44 - 32
    --------
    8. Gals - 44 - 32
    9. Pids - 42 - 32

This is our competition heading into the last two fixtures of the season.

Weekend Fixtures - 9/29-30

The Rapids will play Dallas, which makes that match literally the most important one of the season. Literally our playoff hopes will rest upon getting all three points. The Galaxy will play Vancouver at home and LA will definitely take all the points there, leaving us with:

Place / Team / Pts / GP
    7. Gals - 47 - 32
    --------
    8. Pids - 45 - 32
    9. FCD - 44 - 32

Decision Day

So you can see, even in the absolute best case scenario (In my opinion at least) for the Rapids, that they'll still need the Galaxy to lose on the final match of the season (away to Houston), with the Rapids taking all three points against the best team in the league (AGAIN).

I don't know if playoffs will happen, but it would quite literally be a miracle if all this manages to transpire. Let's hope it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

TheWarmBurger and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It's not going to happen. :laugh:

I dusted off the code I put together to calculate whether or not teams had qualified / were eliminated based on games left to be played (ie, if team A is 2 points ahead of both team B and C with one game left, but team B and C play each other, it's impossible for both B and C to leapfrog A... but extend that out to more games). For the Rapids, it's grim. If the Rapids win their remaining games, and the Eastern Conference teams win their remaining games against Western Conference teams, and then any WC team ahead of the Rapids at that point (only LAFC) wins their remaining games, and then any WC team who cannot catch the Rapids (HOU and VAN) win their remaining games, you're left with:

11 games are left
    LAX: 34 games played, 69 points, 69 mpp
    COL: 34 games played, 48 points, 48 mpp
    RSL: 32 games played, 46 points, 52 mpp
    SEA: 31 games played, 46 points, 55 mpp
    MIN: 30 games played, 45 points, 57 mpp
    SJE: 32 games played, 44 points, 50 mpp
    FCD: 32 games played, 43 points, 49 mpp
    POR: 31 games played, 43 points, 52 mpp
    LAG: 32 games played, 42 points, 48 mpp
    HOU: 34 games played, 40 points, 40 mpp
    SKC: 30 games played, 37 points, 49 mpp
    VAN: 34 games played, 36 points, 36 mpp

I didn't get more sophisticated with my code after that, I just left it as "what happens if the rest of the games end in ties" and made the determination that way.

20. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    Ha! believe me I don't expect it to, I just wanted to work out how they could actually do it (assuming these ridiculous scenarios). I think it's telling that even if results go our way significantly over the course of the next few weeks, that we still will never be in control of our own destiny (barring something silly happening like the Galaxy losing to the Whitecaps at home).

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magic number is 6. 6 points dropped by the Rapids/won by the 7th placed team means we're out. Essentially we need to play a 3 PPG the rest of the way while hoping that one of the teams ahead of us who's been playing at 1.5 (or close) PPG this season suddenly starts playing at under 1 PPG.

22. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    So what you are saying is there is a chance!!!

Imagine winning the final 4 games making it a 7 game winning streak. With a little help from a team or two they squeak into the playoffs. They will be full of confidence and cruse though the next 3 games making it to MLS Cup 2019 and then win the cup in a final for the record books!

Sounds like the Rockies playoff run when they made it to the World Series. We can forget that series but you get the big picture.

23. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2019 Rapids appear to have settled any remaining question as to whether coaching matters.

24. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    Bruce has done a great job of that as well in NE.

25. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Anyone watch the pregame show on Twitter? I came in right when people were piling on Fleming for comparing Shinyashiki to Wondo. He didn't look too amused about the laughter Balboa was not controlling. Hopefully Fleming can stay on, he's a great part of the face of the Rapids to the public. And while I like Balboa's pre and post game commentary, his live call would be intolerable without Fleming.

Andy126 and therapidsnumbernine repped this.