2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    Vela has zero interest in shining. He openly states that doesn't enjoy the sport and simply treats football as a business.

Andy126 repped this.
  2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    As long as he scores goals and collects a paycheck everything works well for him.

3. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    I think you could cut that down to "As long as he collects a paycheck everything works well for him".

Andy126 and Centennial repped this.
  4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    fortcollins and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    COMtnGuy, Centennial and AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    #1183 Centennial, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    I like Fraser he has experience now and he played here both with the Colorado Foxes and the Rapids. I’ve met him a couple times back then.

Congrats!

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article with his history & Style he will bring

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...n-fraser-again-shows-hes-not-afraid-challenge

Fraser played conservatively, a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 formation that was very much defense-first. Some of that likely came from Fraser's experience as a defender and an affection for taking care of the back to build in attack later.

...Most of all, Fraser's time as an assistant has provided perspective on a league that has made substantial changes since 2012. He played a big role in molding tactics both at the Red Bulls and Toronto FC, which helped both clubs win trophies – a Supporters' Shield, the Red Bulls' first, and a domestic treble at TFC, the first in league history. It seems unlikely he'll use a 4-5-1 or even a 4-4-2 with the Rapids most of the time, and given the penchant of Toronto FC to make major tactical changes, he'll likely be more flexible with approach, formation and tactics this go-around.

22SteveD, Centennial, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro and Centennial repped this.
  11. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    I've been stuck on an overwhelming feeling of 'meh' towards Fraser's hiring over the last few days. Not that I don't think he can be a good coach in MLS (I certainly don't hold his tenure at Chivas against him), but rather because of his general lack of experience leading a first team. Obviously he's had a great last few years with Toronto, but seeing perpetual bottom-table teams like San Jose go big with their hires (and significantly improve as a result) has really tempered my reaction to Fraser.

It's just surprising more than anything because - surely - Smith must know his job is on the line if Colorado doesn't make the playoffs in '20. You'd think the decision would lead to someone who's a bit more well-known/established. Can Fraser actually lead this team to the playoffs? The talent I'd say is there - even if, by some ridiculous occurrence, no DPs get signed this offseason.

Overall, I feel underwhelmed like when Hudson first joined. I feel like the Rapids are once again banking on that moneyball hire exceeding expectations. But the reality is that MLS's cap restrictions apply only to the players on the roster, so there's absolutely no excuse for skimping out on a coach - especially considering Kroenke's pockets and how important coaches are in this league.

I wish Fraser the best and deeply hope that I am wrong, but "excited" would not be a word I would use to describe my reaction to this hire.

Is that fair? Have I completely misjudged Fraser?

FtCollins repped this.
  12. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    I respect Fraser and hope he is successful here but I share in your hesitation.

The move - and ultimately Fraser - come off as a trial with hopes of a high ceiling. The issue with unproven former players taking over as boss is there is also a significant floor and it can go oh-so-wrong. There are numerous examples of this throughout the league but you don't have to look beyond New England and their trials before bringing in Arena.

This club is still living in the leagues past and taking a risk which can lower the floor just doesn't come off as the right move.

Again, I hope Fraser can excel here and can right the ship but I feel as though they should have gone with a more proven manager. If he comes out of the gate lukewarm, it may do more damage than good as supporters settle into the thought of "here we go again".

therapidsnumbernine repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have to be careful when judging "Smith" vs. "the club". Smith may have been told "you have this much $ to work with" which may have prevented him from going big. That's not his fault. That is the club's fault in the form of "KSE isn't spending enough" but the Rapids can only do what KSE lets them do.

Totoro, fortcollins and Centennial repped this.
  14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Really agree especially re. coach salary not hitting cap space, just organization's bottom line and winning can impact that more -- but anyone with more than 10 posts here knows the Rapids were not going to pay big money for a 'name' coach. And besides there are plenty potential case studies out there showing that may or may not work.
    I don't think so, the new coach smell lets him hit reset yet again and as long as there is improvement -- this year's start almost guarantees that -- he gets to stay through the 'rebuild' to see it all come to fruition in 2021 (or the year after that when things really gel, or the year after that when the 'new' bad contracts come off the books, etc. etc.). If Fraser doesn't succeed Smith may 'own' it but not in the first year of a minimum of two they'll give him even if he is really bad (see Hudson, Anthony Patrick).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I suspect that is the issue. Find someone cheap he was told. Hopefully it works.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been the SOP with the Springs though. Irwin has done it a couple of times as has Seb I believe.

19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much the "Rapids Way"

22SteveD and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  20. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    Centennial repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padrig just confirmed what I had heard. The Rapids offered both the top assistant role and the Switchbacks head coaching role to Conor Casey but Casey has decided to leave the organization to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

22SteveD and Centennial repped this.
  22. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Joining Gary Smith and the gang in Nashville?

Centennial repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Dom. FC and Centennial repped this.
  24. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well, of the 17 MLS players called up to the USMNT for their upcoming friendlies against Mexico and Uruguay - which are also their final matches before CONCACAF Nations League - no Rapids were named.

I wonder if this will light an additional fire under Acosta and Lewis. I know they’re gonna be looking to play their hearts out to make a good impression on Fraser, but now that they didn’t get a second call up this year they may be looking to get in good favor again with Berhalter too.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...layers-for-matches-against-mexico-and-uruguay

25. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point neither Lewis nor Acosta has shown me that they're national team quality players. Each has been good in spots, but Lewis can't hold down a starting role and Acosta is too up-and-down.

Totoro, Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.