2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Speculation can run the gamut from refusing a 'friendly' call up ... to the coach's wife; but facts might be nice when the player's character is in question? No information on the two prior incidents either.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Kei's 34 and travelling across the world at this point in his career is taxing. It takes longer to recover. Plus it's not like Sierra Leone is going to ever qualify for a major tournament. Club over Country, Kei.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not sure I agree, it's not like the Rapids are going to qualify for anything either. And Sierra Leone has been through so much. Although we have the plague.

The game thread is up for this Saturday....
    Conor Casey Era #19 - Rapids visit Fake Salt Lake Sat. August 24 - 8pm MST

JasonMa repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The country has been through so much but in kei's long career he only has 30 caps or so. It's not like there'a a big love affair between their federation and Kei.

5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The Rapids (not frisbee related) prairie dogs and their tiny livestock made the National news yesterday;

Wildlife Staff Outside Denver Work To Stop The Spread Of Plague Among Prairie Dogs

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/21/7532...to-stop-the-spread-of-plague-among-prairie-do

Fair use excerpt (good advice):

"BIGGINS: Bug spray with DEET is a pretty good repellent, and that's what we actually use quite a bit of when we're working on plague in the field. One should also just be recognizing the symptoms of plague. And if you happen to have gotten a flea bite and you come down with flu-like symptoms within a three-day period or so, you should be cognizant that it might be plague and probably get over to a doctor and try to get on some antibiotics."

And you'll need to play the audio for this, transcript does not do it justice?

(SOUNDBITE OF PHISH'S "DOWN WITH DISEASE")

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will never understand why there are any people on this planet that protest any Prairie Dog relocation or extermination. They are known plague carriers and serve zero useful purposes other than feeding snakes, "Birds of prey", Coyote's & a few Ferrets left in the wild.

22SteveD repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Birds of prey are my favorite animals though, so, keep the prairie dogs.

22SteveD, Sports Yak, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  8. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
  9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Remember this? https://peterhshelton.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/the-dogs-of-nucla/

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I'm sure you've seen it already, but in case you haven't....

As Fleming would say "Oh my Vela...you absolute peach. What. A. Beauty."

Needless to say, what Bob Bradley and Co are doing in LAFC right now is insane. They've got 61 points with 8 games remaining to play. They've got a +46 goal differential with 71 total goals scored.

Colorado scored a combined 64 points over the 2017 and 2018 seasons. That's 64 points in 68 games. They also only scored 57 goals and had a -47 goal differential in that two year span.....LAFC are only 3 points away from tying the point total across two of our seasons, have already scored more goals than us in two seasons, and are 1 goal differential away from being as many goals positive as we were negative over two years.....

Also, just for comparison's sake with some better clubs....last year we saw some insane years as well when NYRB scored 71 points on a +29 and Atlanta scored 69 points on a +26 in 2018...Have I mentioned that LAFC still have 8 more games to play?

Carlos Vela is also on an insane run....he has already combined for 41 goals and assists (26G and 15A) in 25 games. Sebastian Giovinco's 2015 saw him combine for 38 (22G/16A) in 28 games.....There are 15 teams in the league who have scored 41 or fewer goals so far this season. Did I mention they still have 8 games remaining to play?

The Rapids this year have scored 43 goals as an entire team......

What the Galaxy did with the Beckham era and the Arena era completely changed the league. That catapulted things in the MLS waaaaay forward.

I would say the next really major shift would be when Atlanta entered the league and brought the players/coaches they brought in. This shifted the mindset of the league again, and Tata Martino brought a different play-style to the pitch than we've seen successfully week over week.

Now, Bob Bradley and Co. are doing some insane work. He's taking coaching in this league to the next level. The system he's built....man, that's scary good right now. The way they prepare, practice, and study as a team is just, simply at the next level when compared to the rest of the pack right now.

What have the Rapids done in this same time frame? We all know the answer to that question....

I think....no, I hope Padraig Smith recognizes that the league is moving forward at an insane pace right now. I hope he recognizes that the next coach and the next signings will determine whether or not we can try to keep up with the likes of Atlanta, LAFC, NYRB, etc. We've got to do something to try and stay competitive in this league now. There's too many teams and too many good things happening for us to stay mediocre and still stay relevant. We will quickly be left behind if something doesn't happen soon.

Take a bow LAFC. Take a bow Carlos Vela.

Let's go Rapids.

12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My son and I watched it live, it was an incredible goal. They are a great team but I'll be rooting against them in the play-offs. Too soon for success, suffering should come before glory. On the other hand, it would be good to see two good teams in the final for a change. Plus, if it them verse Seattle or RSL - I'm taking LAFC. Should be an entertaining end to the MLS season.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I watched it live as well. I was on the phone, otherwise I probably would've made some of those weird Soccer fan noises we all make from time to time....

I honestly think out of all the teams in the Western conference, I think that Portland is the worst matchup for them - and probably one of the only hopes of stopping them from reaching the final. I'm with you on the "too soon" camp, but man, what they've built so quickly is insane.

I don't know for certain who will come out of the Eastern conference, but if I was a betting man, I'd say NYCFC or Atlanta, and I would lean more towards Atlanta as they are only now getting back to full strength. Either of those teams against LAFC would be a super fun final to watch.

*EDIT*
    What I do know for certain is that we may get another shot at beating them a second time on Decision Day if they decide to take that game easy. They've already locked up a playoff spot, and by then, I'm sure they will have locked down the first seed and the supporters shield. Maybe we get lucky on October 6 :D

AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Rapids did shut them out and take 3 points from them...
    [​IMG]

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Vela pisses me off. Wasn't he the one who was coming here and then switched over to LAFC? Imagine how good we would be with a playmaker like that. Likely would make everyone else better.

16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Rapids loan Bassett and Anderson to the Switchbacks:
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/post...BSjzLcHg0B5yTRSQ6kIorzJzx8SpDRRsFk_TJwqrA0rYc

Well. I'm a little shocked to be honest. I guess that's the end of productive MLS minutes for the young'ns this season eh? I guess there just simply isn't room for them to even get subbed in to games at this point - which is odd, given the fact that we've been out of honest playoff contention for a while now....

Our upcoming matches: @ FSL, @ NYRB, Vs Seattle, Vs LA Gals, @ Toronto, @ SKC, Vs Dallas, @ LAFC

I can say with absolute certainty that Bassett and Anderson would've gotten more valuable minutes against those teams than they would've against any USL team in the coming weeks. All of those teams are either in the playoffs, or in serious contention for them.

You can't honestly tell me that you're building for 2020, and then on the other hand go around not letting your kids develop against top competition over the coming weeks in a season that's already been dead and gone.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reality is we have too many young players all vying for the same field positions. Where we are playing guys that probably don't have a "long" future ahead, we just don't have upcoming young talent.

Andy126 and 22SteveD repped this.
  19. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    To make an analogy to baseball, I expect to see a whole lot of young players playing for the Rockies in September win/lose or draw. The Rapids are in the "September" of the soccer season.

At least they'll get 90 at the USL level. Still...

JasonMa and therapidsnumbernine repped this.
  20. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Do you really think he would have stayed if he started to shine?

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Andy126, m vann and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Some of my Phish Friends sent some meme's that cracked me up a bit:

Attached Files:

Centennial and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be more worried about a VD. Some Phish fans I know think Chlamydia is a flower.

Andy126 repped this.
  24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  25. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids