2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Cellar's getting deeper and deeper. Everyone in the West besides the Rapids has 10 points or more.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Rapids are six points to the good in the race for the Spoon, with the other two contenders also playing at home this week.

COMtnGuy, Andy126 and Centennial repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I was wrong, that was actually a decent crowd. Esp. given how bad the team is.

kucsdat, Andy126 and Centennial repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helps that they were running 2-pack promos with this game and the Arsenal friendly.

Andy126 and Totoro repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    0-9-2 is the worst 11 game start in MLS history?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. And we can set a new record for longest winless streak to start the season next week.

Andy126, COMtnGuy and ogre1976 repped this.
  8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    More records!!!

We soo deserve that wooden spoon award/trophy...

DON’T MESS IT UP SMITH!!!!

Andy126 and ogre1976 repped this.
  9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we let in 2 more goals, we'll have tied our 2016 season total goals allowed! Yay, Rapids!

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC the last two games we've allowed one less goal at home than we did in all of 2016.

fortcollins repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next record up for challenge: the worst first half season in MLS history.

Current record holder (16 games) -- Chivas USA, 1-12-3 (6 points), 0.375 PPG, in 2005.
    Rapids 2019: 0-9-2 (2 points) and counting, 0.182 PPG.

(In a 17-game first half, the record is DC United, 2-12-3 (9 points), 0.529 PPG, in their epic 2013 season.)

12. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the next Messi or Pele going to be available for the #1 pick?
    Unless we already traded it to someone else.....fyi Hazzard to Real Madrid and Pulisic to take his place in Chelsea (the Europe one, not the NYC 'hood).

Sigh. And to think we let Watts go.....

R

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The #1 pick is going to Nashville or Miami as expansion teams.

Just because what we replaced him with was bad doesn't make getting rid of a poor player a bad decision.

SccrDon, Andy126 and Riccardo55 repped this.
  14. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to use Pele, Messi, Pulisic, AND Watts in the same post. :D
    R

Andy126, JasonMa and fortcollins repped this.
  15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Not Messi or Pele, but you could throw Watts in there for a good trivia question.

"Who are 3 people who have not been in my kitchen"

or

"Who are 3 players who scored on Tim Howard."

nowar99 and Riccardo55 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/spor...aments-involvement-in-unwanted-mls-milestone/

fortcollins and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well crap...Bruce Arena hired as GM and Coach of the Revs

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Bruce Arena is off the big board of available coaches...New England fired their coach and GM and replace them both right away.

Can you imagine if the Rapids fired Hudson and then Smith back to back? And then hired a guy like Arena? All in the span of a week?

Pipedreams baby. Pipedreams

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want no part of Arena, New England can have him.

Dom. FC, SccrDon, Rod1916 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    So you're saying if you had your choice between Interim Coach Casey and Bruce Arena, you'd take Casey?

I'd take Arena in a heartbeat. I'd take him over Pablo, I'd take him over Hudson, I'd take him over Casey.....the list goes on of people I would rather have him over

rapidogordo repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the only two choices are "KSE gives Arena the money and control he needs to run the club" and Casey I'd take Arena. But if they're willing to give Arena the money and control he would need to take the job they should give it to a better option.

fortcollins and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  21. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I knew what to expect. You need to have a coach & players that play a specific system well. When they supposedly tried that with "The Rapids Way" it resulted in about as dismal a stretch that I recall (and I go back to year 1...). And the fallout continues.

In retrospect, they did not seem to have a system, and the Rapids young players that I thought had some promise were replaced on the roster (or the pitch) with others who neither seemed better quality nor fit the system. In 2016 Cronin, Sjoberg, Azira, Burch, Gashi, and Powers led the team in minutes. (Doyle and Miller were also with them in the top 8, too). Um, that team had a great records, "so guess we can't play those guys anymore!"

We got Gatt and Saeid for then Team Captain Cronin. Tied with Beckerman for Ballouchi as the worse Rapids trade ever. Azira went for a 2020 4th round draft pick, which I doubt will be the next Pulisic.

Do we wonder why the Smith reign is setting the bar below the worst ever seasons we've had?? And we're a team with a striking minority of winning seasons, the the bar ain't very high. I understand that he talked an optimistic game this February. I was OK to see what they rolled out. I think I have seen enough.

R

m vann repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But now those have been replaced with young prospects. We have to see how they pan out but this is about as young a team the Rapids have ever had. I understand the long-term plan here (get young, develop kids, make good first team players and/or sell them, repeat). The short-term plan has been uniformly awful though.

Dom. FC repped this.
  23. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don’t think I’d want Arena either, but we are starting to get to the point where this is the only kind of credibility that is going to make players of any talent/ability sign with the Rapids for future DP (or even non-DP) positions. Otherwise we’ll be back to Mr. Moneyball Smith scouring some obscure league for talent for the foreseeable future with no credible plan how to use the talent the team actually has.

rapidogordo and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England can have Arena.

Sam Allardyce may also be off the table in the next couple weeks.

The Bolton Wanderers were relegated from the Championship to League 1. Right after the season ended, they went into administration, which will guarantee a 12-point deduction next season in League 1. Chinese investors are prepared to purchase the Bolton Wanderers from the administrators. According to current reports, they are prepared to hire Sam Allardyce as manager.

If Allardyce returns to Bolton, he will face a task bigger than the Rapids face. I have to think that his heart is in Bolton, but that better sense would prevail if he were offered Coach and GM duties in Colorado.

To the Everton fans on here, I would concede that Sam isn't a great coach when he has talent and a team near the top. He is, however, the best coach I know when he has a team with little talent and its backs to the wall. That describes the Rapids, as well as the Bolton Wanderers.

If the Rapids hired Allardyce, in spite of Kroenke still being the owner, I would return and buy season tickets. There would be something worth watching, at long last.

JMHO

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Not that the Rapids were ever going to hire him, but what's wrong with Arena?