2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time has come. The 2019 season is here. Here's to a much improved team, more wins, more points, more excitement, and more happiness. The pressure is on................

jayd8888, SccrDon, MrPerfectNot and 8 others repped this.
  2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Go Rapids.

SccrDon repped this.
  3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    'tis the time of hope. Given all the additions, dare I have hope that the Rapids will be competitive. Maybe not the best, but at least able to be on the field.

Sadly, though, this is the perspective I always have before the first game. So, we all have tremendous hope and a deep-seated fear that we will somehow mess it up (again).

Had to get that off my chest before I truly think about any predictions for the season!

rod.

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I expect preseason optimism to drain away and turn into normal soccer fan pessimism like piss poured out of boot forming a puddle, before April is half over. Please. Rapids. Make. Me. Wrong.

5. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Yawn

I’m already bored

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    'Hope' is the thing with feathers—
    That perches in the soul—
    And sings the tune without the words—
    And never stops—at all—

And sweetest—in the Gale—is heard—
    And sore must be the storm—
    That could abash the little Bird
    That kept so many warm—

I've heard it in the chillest land—
    And on the strangest Sea—
    Yet, never, in Extremity,
    It asked a crumb—of Me.

-Emily Dickinson

SccrDon, MrPerfectNot and Dom. FC repped this.
  7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Cautious Optimism abounds for me coming into this season. Last season was an absolute crapshoot going in to the new year so I had no expectations on a new coach and 15 new players, other than to expect the unknown.

I know it certainly seems like a lot of people are rooting for the rapids to fail, but not I. I am certainly hopeful we can be competitive and fun to watch again. A team where you don’t expect them to lose and then are surprised at a tie or a win. A team where you can sit down and be ready to enjoy some football with your favorite club. Watching the Instagram feed as Kei Kamara took over the rapids social media makes me think the players are truly having fun together, and as a result of things like this, I’m looking forward to seeing that joy on the field. That is what makes it worth it. The boys having fun, trying hard, and improving upon years past.

I expect we look better this year. I expect us to scratch our heads again this year. I expect some heartbreak, I expect some joyous celebration. I expect all the emotions that come with soccer as the rapids navigate the waters ahead.

Here’s to 2019 you ‘Pids. May this season be one of joy, full of energy, and full of wins and goals.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Andy126, Dom. FC and Rod1916 repped this.
  8. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Word.

Appreciate the wisdom and hope! As a "Glass FULLY empty" kinda guy when it comes to my view of the Hudsonian philosophy (at least as applied in 2018), I can use any faint glimmer of hope that others can offer. Hoping Anthony can prove my dissenting voice to be dead wrong!

Having said that, if the wins, points, excitement, and happiness generated by the Rapids in 2019 are any lower and more scant than what they generated last year, it may be time for club to stick a fork in it. In principle, they will be relegated in the eyes and minds of this forum. So, yea, let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Dom. FC and m vann repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888 and Dom. FC repped this.
  10. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bar is set fairly low. I just want the games to be entertaining. Some of the games last season were basically unwatchable.

jayd8888, COMtnGuy, wormhole and 2 others repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Rapids tied for first and last with a 0-0-0 record, the Bodmer Line is 1.265 PPG and the Kroenke Line is 0.000 PPG. ;)

(I couldn't resist.)

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fortcollins, Riccardo55 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This is basically where I'm at. Two or three weeks ago I was very optimistic. The new acquisitions put me in that frame of mind - and I also just get this way prior to the season. At the same time, I was highly pessimistic back in November. Then there were the signings of Rubio and Rosenberry in mid-December. It kept going from there. And it really feels as if there has a been a solid upgrade at the least. I honestly couldn't tell you which winter signing I am the most excited about.

At the same time there are two thing that temper my optimism -

1. Injures on the back line. With Smith and Ford out for a while it looks like the Wynne and Sjóberg will be the starters for a while. Apparently Wynne is better suited for right back than center back. Regardless, the Rapids can't dig themselves a hole early on with all the road games at the end of the season.

2. Hudson. Boy did it seem like he was in over his head for much of the season. Now, he and Pádraig are claiming that they got the philosophy installed in the locker room that is going to pay dividends this season. But I am still wondering if he has figured out what it's going to take to win tactically in the MLS.

Should the Rapids not make the playoffs this season I would hold both Pádraig and Hudson.

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I think Hudson will be more responsible than Smith for that type of failure. No doubt both underestimated MLS last year, and of course Smith hired Hudson. Smith has shown signs that he's learned from his mistakes this offseason and from all appearances have given Hudson a team of about as good a quality as we could have expected given the room he had to work with this offseason (some of which, such as Wilson, was self-inflicted).

I'd say, barring a complete meltdown like last season that shows that Smith's (and honestly all of ours) judgment and scouting was horribly flawed for a second season, that Smith has probably done enough to be given another year with a clear roster (anyone signed by Bravo/Pablo will be off the roster) and with Pablo's salary off the books going into 2020.

Hudson, on the other hand, is on a short leash. If he continues to not adapt to the league he can't be back in 2020.

Andy126, Rod1916 and Banter repped this.
  15. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson needs to find a lineup, stick to it, build continuity and quit coaching like its an intramural league. Last year was beyond ridiculous. His hotseat began in the preseason as far as I’m concerned. Go Rapids! Whoever you are.....

JasonMa repped this.
  16. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK I posted 13-16-5 = 44points (on the old thread), so same kinda season....

I guess the new additions made me more optimistic than 538's SPI which mixes last season + significant additions. I do think we'll 'go towards the mean' as we saw personally a couple seasons ago, the difference between challenging for the Shield and last place isn't so much....
    R

JasonMa repped this.
  17. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m optimistic because I feel the team is better, but also realize the other teams got better as well. I’ll be happy with either making the playoffs, or barely missing out. That would put the team in a great position for the following season with (hopefully) a pair of new attacking DPs that will be on the field.

jayd8888 and Andy126 repped this.
  18. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    Well the Weather for Saturday looks interesting. 3 inches of snow Saturday afternoon going into Sat night. Mid 20's high

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  19. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have had good results, Rapids and USMNT, in the snow games....maybe it is because the air is so thin and hurts when you breathe. :D

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current NWS forecast:

21. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    hmmmm must be 2 different reports then. The one i see has a 90% chance. Snowclassico is coming

Andy126 repped this.
  22. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Orange Ball!

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting points. I think I hold Pádraig responsible in part because he did hire Hudson (as you pointed out) and has stuck with him, very much so publicly.

In the preseason friendlies he has done so. I think it won't be hard to accurately predict lineups this season.

Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 JasonMa, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    m vann repped this.