2019 Schedule

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Jan 7, 2019.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 SabreKhan, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Schedule just dropped for the year.

So far what I've noticed:
    May 15-24, we play Wednesday on the road in Vancouver, then Sunday in NY, then Friday in Utah. Jet lag much? And that road trip starts after a Sunday game, and is immediately followed by another Wednesday game. Four games in less than two weeks, including two cross-country flights.

We have a crapload of Wednesday and Sunday games. 11 weekday games currently scheduled. 13 Sunday games (though only two during football season).

Also, only four games (so far) conflict with scheduled Army events.

Eleven Bravo and GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Too many mid week games, but I guess that is what happens when you get a Gold Cup break plus schedule compression to finish the season before the last international break.

May is going to be tough.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland road trip in August! Woohoo!

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Kind of bummed that we didn't get Cincy or Orlando on the road on a Saturday night....or a Saturday period. Would have really helped with a road crowd.

Looks like Columbus is the closest roadie on a Saturday night. 8 and a half hours by car. Easy enough to drive up Saturday, take in the match, get drunk with some buckeyes, and toodle on back Sunday.

Cannot wait for Nashville to join. Should make for some legit atmosphere with easy travel for traveling fans.

5. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I get your overall point, but Cincy isn't that much closer than Columbus.

To throw a totally unevidenced conspiracy theory out there, I wonder if the Orlando away game was purposely put in a slot to discourage fans from making the trip because of the hubbub last year.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll see your tin foil hat and raise you this:

Maybe they put it in midweek so that if there WAS some nefariousness, it would make the news midweek when people are paying attention.

7. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    What are your predictions for the season?

How does Atlanta finish in the CCL?

What will be their final position in the eastern conference?

If that position is in the playoffs, how deep do you predict they go?

How far does AUFC go in the Open Cup?

Who takes the team golden boot? Do you believe that will also win the MLS golden boot?

Who is team MVP?

Who is most improved?

Who is the newcomer of the year?

Which player takes a step back from last season?

Other:

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll play.

What are your predictions for the season?
    2nd in East.

How does Atlanta finish in the CCL?
    Pains me to say this but loses to Monterrey in Round of 8.

What will be their final position in the eastern conference?
    See above.

If that position is in the playoffs, how deep do you predict they go?
    Eastern finals.

How far does AUFC go in the Open Cup?
    Wins. After the CCL exit this competition gets serious attention.

Who takes the team golden boot? Do you believe that will also win the MLS golden boot?
    Josef Martinez, and yes.

Who is team MVP?
    Pity Martinez

Who is most improved?
    Barco. No one else was both bad enough that there's room to improve that will also get the opportunities he will.

Who is the newcomer of the year?
    Duh.

Which player takes a step back from last season?
    Jeff. Father time catches up to him in a position that really challenges one's stamina.

Other:
    - Bello doesn't play as much as we want but does see PT
    - Miles makes notable progress toward being a worthy starter for the future
    - Florentin Pogba reminds everyone why he's available to MLS teams instead of playing in Europe
    - De Boer lifts at least one trophy within first 2 seasons

9. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA

Thanks for hopping right in GJ and showing some obvious flaws. My input with a couple clarifying questions:

Agree with you on the CCL (losing to Monterray)

I, too, think we'll perform better than we ever have in the Open Cup. This time making the semis before losing

I'm calling for a 4th place finish in the East, but in the playoffs, we go back to the final, and lose on the road

With regards to the boot I'm calling Pity here. PMart seems more willing to fire on frame and Josef's numbers will drop as he won't have an Almiron picking him out. Regardless, neither will have enough to take the league boot. I'm actually calling Zlatan for that

Pity is the team MVP

Most improved is Robinson

As far as newcomer? I acknowledge the silliness of that question so how about we break this down in to two categories. Established players brought in (without Pity) and emerging player that has been with us but not seen (m)any minutes:

Import: Moore, Pereira, Pogba, Shea
    Emerge: Bello, Carelton, Gallagher, Goslin, Hernandez, Kunga, Robinson, Vazquez, Wild, Williams (Rosario)

10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blistering start that falters in mid-summer as teams figure out how to play us again, but hanging on to win the Supporters' Shield.

Win the trophy.

1st

I think they'll go deep, but not repeat as Cup-winners. Lose the conference final to RBNY, maybe?

With the schedule congestion, and the team focusing on the Supporters' Shield, we exit in the quarterfinals.

Josef Martinez again for the team, but I think Zlatan Ibrahimovic will sustain his pace from last year. Josef will have to share some goals this year among his teammates, so he'll be a little short of the league crown.

I'm going way out on a limb and saying Barco lights it up this year.

Also Barco.

Pity Martinez, but of the others, Shea will get the most playing time. Bello and Robinson aren't really newcomers, but they'll get more opportunities this year, too.

It's tempting to say Larentowicz or Parkhurst because those are the greybeards. But they've been consistently excellent for decades now, so they're unlikely to get noticeably worse this season. My bet is Gonzalez-Pirez. If deBoer is more concerned with possession than Martino was, LGP is going to struggle more. He plays great defense, but consistently gives the ball away (thankfully usually not in dangerous positions).

iVamos United!

Gunner repped this.
  11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not expect that to come to fruition eight minutes into the season.

12. Ernik

Ernik New Member

Chelsea
    Germany
    Mar 12, 2019
    Will you go to the match on April 13? I'm waiting for this match, I have long wanted to see how Stuttgart will play - Bayer L, who do you think will win? I have never been to Atlanta, so I don’t know where I can stay and where to go. I will not be bored, since I am going to the game not alone, but with friends. We managed to find some information on the Internet, in the review https://worldstadia.com/mercedes-benz-stadium.html suggest to settle in the Glenn Hotel, I just love boutique hotels and this is a great option for us. What can you say about the hotel? What mono places to visit, we come for a few days and we have time to walk. We come for a few days and we have time for a walk.

Ronik. repped this.
  13. Ronik.

Ronik. New Member

France
    Mar 4, 2019
    Visit Elliott Street Deli & Pub is a cool restaurant located not far from the staion.

14. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's happening on April 13?