2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your sentiments are spot on, but I would beg to point out that the late lamented Riverboat Gamblers played in the A League at the time.

the_rickler repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooooo, still no news re: Mensah's injury? I have to assume the club has "evaluated" the knee by now. He could be out for the season or starting at Chicago on Wednesday for all we know. I mean, I can't imagine it's the latter, still... Has anyone heard any rumors about his status?

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Didn't we get Stern from the Long Island Rough Riders where he was A league rookie of the year?

4. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers

Bill Archer repped this.
  5. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    A little. But, there is truth in jest.

The league needs to spend more on talent and do away with arcane rules like the DP. Heck, the DP limit is what, $530k? Most teams should have all the players in their starting 11 on that level of salary.

This is not directed at the new Crew ownership, but the league in general.

TRUJDUB and Minnman repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most teams do have most of their starting 11 at that level. Even we did. When we had Steffen, Mensah, Valenzuela, Trapp, Meram, Santos, Pipa and Zardes that was 8 of 11 guys either at max, paid below max with GAM/TAM, DP or a young DP. Just because few of them were worth the money doesn't make it any less true.

I agree that it is becoming time to simplify the roster rules. I'd like to see minimum and maximum salary budgets and fewer/no exemptions. I'd like the rules tailored to encourage academy production. Similar to how homegrowns don't count towards the budget now for a certain period. I could get behind something like a 6 year system (2 normal contract terms) where academy product salaries count 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% of their value towards the salary budget.

Pauncho and the_rickler repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh, I feel like Cliff Claven today:

You're probably thinking of Edson Buddle.

Who would be a case in point himself, hitting a bunch of goals in his one year with LI, but that was around 1999 or so and he had to go through the Superdraft, where he was, IIRC a 3rd round pick.

TrueCrew and POdinCowtown repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yep, you're right that it was Buddle not Stern who came from LI.

There are a number of countries around the world with decent soccer leagues and shaky national economies. The sort of places where the paychecks bounce or arrive months late. Let's be honest: upgrading the current Crew roster isn't the hardest of tasks.

TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  9. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we’ve found many players from African nations, a market I would think ripe for MLS.

chr1st repped this.
  10. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s playing with fire until the league respects international breaks though.

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think South America is a more natural hunting ground. Euro talent hounds infest Africa like maggots on a dead possum.

In SA however you're competing with strong established local clubs, while Africa has a weak and shabby system. Unfortunately this means that players often dont get first class training until they're too.old. Like with Caribbean players, you end up with athletic guys with weak soccer.foundations.

shoplifter and TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I don't know if we're truly in the running for that Tankovic guy at Hammarby, but I kinda hope so. He doesnt seem like a mega ambitious target but I think he looks like a good prospect for us, especially with IM suggesting we're probably not getting another DP this window. His salary may not be prohibitively high and the combined hit with his transfer fee might be possible to be bought down into TAM range. Hes a guy who can play wide or central as an attacking midfielder which Porter has said he still wants.

Hes spent time at both CAM and left wing with the club. Had 7 goals and 5 assists in 30 appearances last year. Has 6 goals and 5 assists already in 13 appearances this season. 24 years old. Was it someone here, maybe elsewhere?...mentioned we offered 1 million but it wasn't accepted. This seems like a plausible target for us, with ownership that isnt averse to spending huge, but probably still wants to feel out just how much they need to spend to be winners.

I'm keen on this one.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2288 Bill Archer, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    I agree in principle, although I think that what we need mostly is an overall talent upgrade, not neceesarily a big splash. A guy like this seems made to.order. Not a big time world changing DP superstar but a competent professional footballer.

Just using that last four words with much of anyone we've sent out there over the last 3 months would be hilarious if it wasnt so sad.

I would however disagree on one thing: there's just no question that Bezbatchenko is the one telling the owners who and what is worth the money. I dont think we can overestimate the extent to which hes driving this car.

When McCullers wanted to spend big on a player he was required to fly to Dallas and beg. I strongly suspect that when Bez wants to spend a measley million on a guy he picks up the phone and has a short conversation. Or he may not even do that much.

In situations like with this Tankvic guy, the Crew will offer what Bez thinks hes worth on the open market. Period. His call.

Partly because 12 months ago no one in the Haslam family could have told you what a 10 shirt means. Partly because the Haslams learned in Cleveland that your professional managers have to be able to wheel and deal without having to check with the owner every ten minutes.

I'd also point out, albeit with limited evidence, that Bez appears to be something of a fake-out, misdirection guy. Lots of rumors floated around about this Swedish keeper or that, one of them even got fed to Jacob Myers. Then he signs the guy hes apparently been angling for for months. All the rest was just smokescreen.

I'm mostly ignoring the rumors. The current regime plays it pretty close to the vest

Tobias C, TrueCrew, Pauncho and 6 others repped this.
  14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some tweet from oyvind c eyrich

Former Norway NT & Celtic scout

Idk what it’s about exactly

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where? I don't see any tweets from this person since 2018.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Was a retweet then posted on FB where i seen this. I’m not on Twitter , you on Facebook?

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.dispatch.com/sports/201...-crew-center-backs-gaston-sauro-josh-williams

I mean, what do you make of this?

But:

So, only Sauro will miss multiple games, right? But Mensah already missed last weekend's game due to injury, so if he misses tomorrow's game, then he'd also be a player missing multiple games due to injury. Whatever.

Anyway, the article does confirm (in writing, even) that Diaz got his P1 Visa last week, but Hamilton and Room still await theirs. Which leads to another interesting nugget:

P-1A Internationally Recognized Athlete

I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker

Forms that need to be filled out to get a US work visa as a foreign athlete. Visas are valid for 5 years.

It's how the sausage is made, which may not be of interest to everyone. But these details are why it takes time to get international signings fully on board. Previously, I hadn't known which type of visa foreign players needed, and I was too lazy to try and look it up.

LaMacchia and MLSinSTL repped this.
  18. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    In short: Weeks ≠ Games. Mensah can miss Wednesday but play Saturday and technically only miss 1 week even if he lost out on 2 games. Pedantic but that's what Professional Sports Injury Lists from coaches gets you these days.

Reading between the lines, I take it as they are designating Sauro as Out for the immediate future while all other players on the Injury List are Questionable and their spot in the lineups will be based on their progress throughout the week. Not having any inside info, I'd guess Guzman gets Wednesday night off and if possible Mensah suits up for both.

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say that while I really like Sauro,at some point you have to say the guy is injury prone and needs to move on. He's just never available, never healthy. It sucks but that's just the way it is sometimes.There were reports a couple weeks back that an MLS team as well as a club in Argentina were both interested in him.If they still are, I'd be sorely tempted to see what we can get.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to say once more how deeply I admire your facility with words!

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need both. Overall talent upgrade AND some high end talent. We are deficient in the former and totally lacking the latter.

Like I said a bit back, the FO has punted on the season.

Does that mean we cannot do some business around the margins and improve things? No.

And we have done some things that potentially makes us better (Room, Diaz) and taken some fliers on other team's leavings (Williams, Hamilton). Bully.

But those moves are not going to move the needle much. And if you think I am going to be happy about the FO punting on a season with 13 games left, during the worst run in team history, forget it.

At this point, spending Saturday night at a polka bar is infinitely more enjoyable than dragging myself to CCS for 90 minutes of hell.

C minuses for everyone. At best.

Draghignazzo and Minnman repped this.
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave a list of proven goal scorers who had all scored double digits somewhere (club, country), who came to MLS ank kicked ass. THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL POINT. We need proven scorers. 10+ goals. Somewhere. Young. Old. In between. Don't care.

You then made a dumb comment about proven players leaving MLS not coming to it, which is BS. So I posted a list of proven guys who came to MLS and kicked ass.

Then you tried to dig out of the hole by talking about guys being over the hill, despite the fact they all kicked ass in MLS, and was never the point anyway.

So yeah, you are picking nits and missing the point, per usual.

So, are you saying Rooney is not a proven player and that you would not want a similar type player because they are over the hill?

Draghignazzo repped this.
  23. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our team is so poor, we apparently believe that Room will be better playing outfield than in net. Proof below according to what you can buy at the online store. Maybe he can replace Guzman in the 11... [​IMG]

CybrSlydr repped this.
  24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Please turn in your fan card to @stanger at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your former support.

MLSinSTL, Ch(Elsey), chr1st and 2 others repped this.
  25. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring it!

I bought 4 extra Nordecke tickets for this one, so six total, probably 10-12 people in our group total.

chr1st and Draghignazzo repped this.