2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My apologies, Chels, but based on what I've seen, I'm going to have to scoff.

Feh.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should see other MLS cities..... It could.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's appropriate--as we are a fairly soft opponent. :(

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always hated that idiotic nickname for Meram. He was born in ********ing MICHIGAN. He's no Mesopo-lion. Christ, until he joined their National Team, I'd been to the middle east more than he had...

the_rickler repped this.
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proven guys leave MLS. Not come to it....

6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nobody means a proven play from Barcelona but from a lower league or low paying league

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd maintain that they are not really proven, then.... Or they'd be going higher than MLS. Mind you, it's better than it once was....

8. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If they played season somewhere and scored and assisted double digits i don’t care if it was in Mexico , Brasil , Italy etc... as mentioned we have guys that maybe had a good season in college at best on their resume

Tobias C repped this.
  9. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Forgot that one good thing about tony queso was he only had the contracts go until 2020. Everyone could be gone (minus latest additions).

10. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah i know i want to see the list of expiring contract players for the Crew

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, every field player we've signed, or been linked to, in this window has been young (20-24). Room's age is fine for a keeper.

It remains to be seen, of course, and maybe I'm just too simple-minded and old school to see things another way, but I do feel as though "the final piece" that Bill references, is really the piece that matters. This guy in Sweden - with stints at Fulham and in Holland - seems to be interesting. Same with Diaz. Pedro, I think, has had a decent year, all things considered. Zardes can score goals in MLS, recent experience notwithstanding. It's the vast gap in the middle that really causes the entire structure to stop working.

Guille elevated everyone around him. I mean, was Ale Moreno an MLS superstar striker? Higuain, in his prime, wasn't at that level, but similarly made the players around him better. We either will find that kind of player, or we won't. But I don't see how this team, and especially this coach, will manage many positive results until it deals with that mission critical issue.

Ch(Elsey) and POdinCowtown repped this.
  12. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm stuck thinking that the Haslem's are bringing to Columbus something they're used to in the Cleveland: historically bad teams.

As a relative pointyball know-nothing who has die-hard Browns fans in his family, it seems as though the Browns are willing to spend a lot of money but they've been plagued with two major issues:

1. Their coaches have been consistently sub-par. Plus, a ridiculous level of coach turnover.
    2. They have plenty of quality on the team, some long-time pro-bowl type guys. But, they've been so many years without a solid QB.

Does this sound similar? It does to me. We need a solution for #10 and we need better coaching. Until those two pieces are there, we're gonna suck like the Browns.

Ugh, I hope I don't become like my in-laws: constantly optimistic in the offseason, rooting for trash in the early season, and cynical by the end of the season. Then again, here we are.

TRUJDUB, LaMacchia and Jim Bach repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2263 Bill Archer, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    I think that it's a mistake to try and draw a lot of corrollaries between MLS and the NFL.

I would also point out two other things:

1) Jimmy Haslam made a lot of mistakes, acknowledges that he made them, he admits he had a lot to learn, and has changed his modus operandi.

2) The Browns are widely expected to be an exciting team this year and are favored to at least win their division.

So if you discount the learning curve years , we're on track for a two year renovation project.

Which, incidentally, coincides nicely with the opening of a new stadium.

Bottom line: forget the browns. Bezbatchenko is running the show in Columbus.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. You just have to actually pay them, and we don't do that here.

Ola was a proven guy. Guille. Lodeiro. Zlatan. Vela. Altidore. Henry. BWP. Villa. Pity. Josef. Almiron. Stern John. Mendoza.

Someone who can make/score goals. Mexican league. Dutch league. Uruguayan league. Norweigan. Czech league. Costa Rican league. Don't care.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Wasn't it Bez who found Pozuelo for TFC? Who was their next option if he hadn't come?

It would be a mistake to wait for a CAM until next window. If we bring in someone in winter, then there's a couple months of "gelling", etc.

This isn't like the NFL or NBA where losing at least gets you good future players. We don't need some extra "you suck" allocation money, we need wins and a reason for fans to buy tickets next year.

16. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree with all of your points, save the "Costa Rican league" comment. We tried that once before...

"The 26-year-old Olman Vargas joins the Crew from Club Sport Herediano of the Costa Rican first division, where he scored 17 goals over the last two seasons and helped the team reach the final of the 2011 Apertura season."

TrueCrew, Draghignazzo and Bill Archer repped this.
  17. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Planting KFC FC players into the ground will be fun to watch..I do think that will happen. To much history and pride on our side.

redi44crew repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many of the guys you noted were past their sell by date in Europe or elsewhere. Stern John was playing in New Orleans in the USL....

19. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hj
    That's what I expect. I'm cool with the Diaz signing, hes young and apparently comes with some credentials between being awarded the best player of the clausura or whatever it was, and being on the fringe of the Costa Rican national team. He sounds like he could be promising and that's good to have on our team.

I just want a person who has a recent track record of getting it done. Not 3 seasons ago, but last season. I dont need one of the top scorers from the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, or Ligue 1. Someone younger or in their prime, coming off a solid season in South America is what I want. Yes, theres competition for those players by bigger clubs around the world, but that comes back to the idea of being willing to spend some money to make some money. If you can spend 6,7,8 million, win a couple trophys, and sell that player on for 20 million...that's well worthwhile.

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You married into it. A choice.

Some of us were born into this madness. And sadness.

21. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    [​IMG]

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2272 TrueCrew, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    And they were all proven goalscorers who scored when they got here. Do you think I am advocating for signing Messi or Greizemann (sp?) and upset we aren't? Obviously Euro stars at their apex are not coming.

But I will take Wayne Rooney all day long. Vela. Villa. Keane. Henry. Gio. Like I said, I will take Ola. Someone who has actually done it, or someone you hope can still do it/do it again, rather than someone who never has.

Right now, we have Zardes and a bunch of never hases (sic). We need SOME proven offensive players.

As for Stern, he was scoring a lot of goals for T&T. 10 before we got him. That's double digits. And on the list. League. Cup. Country. If you can bang them in, come on over.

Wanna try again to pick nits that have little to do with the overall point?

Crewmania, Crew Chuck35 and the_rickler repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm picking nits??

You gave a list of once very big name stars. Which has little to do with the original comments that I was commenting on--like...
    My point is that guys in a lower league aren't exactly "proven". And 10 goals for T&T isn't exactly "proven". There's a reason Stern was in NOLA. H*ll I had over 350 goals in my career--and no one would have ever picked me for MLS.... What we get in this league is possibilities. Stern was all of that and he made the most of it. But the list of Crew names along the entry to the stands are littered with "possibilities". Most never made it. And that's ok for this league. Once in a while you get lucky. But "proven"? Good luck with that. I'd not even consider Ola "proven" before he came to Columbus. He was a project--most folks here thought so at the time and it was only Kei's situation that gave Ola a chance.

Bill Archer repped this.
  24. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Talk about lacking ambition. MLS should be a competitive destination league. That would mean our players are in demand as well.

I know the history of the league and the fact that they were frugal to stay in business, but hopefully, soon, they will take the training wheels off, show that American players can play with the best, and be in the top 5 leagues in the world.

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarcasm, I assume?