2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just signed a TAM winger from Venezuela, so I think they're probably done with signings (thus, why they can trade a discovery protected player to us).

Bill Archer repped this.
  2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, tell me, my dear Crewster, who, exactly, has done well this season? Check and mate. A-ha. A-ha. A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Sorry... on to my main beef with your comment...

You can judge a player's ability and developmental potential off "lengthy minutes in several games" and write them off after a handful of poor performances? How long did we suffer a middling Meram before he blossomed into a decent-to-good MLS player (and then a million-dollar man we used to happily fleece Orlando in a trade... and then mostly gave back)? Is Trapp trade-fodder because he's been poor over the course of the entire 2019 season (okay, probably)?

Other than Artur and Robinho, our 24-and-younger players haven't exactly been given a hefty share of minutes. Here's how many regular season minutes (out of 1,800 because I'm too lazy to look up preseason or CUP stats) the youngins' have had under CB9K:
    • Artur - 1,282
    • Robinho - 1,115
    • Argudo - 345
    • JJ - 325
    • Crognale - 297
    • Hansen - 246
    • Sosa - 205
    • Abubakar - 90
    • Keita - 90
    • Maloney - 15
    • Lundgaard - 0
    • Opoku - 0
    Sure, there are some caveats—loans and injuries and the depth chart and NT call-ups—and CB9K sees these guys in practice every day, but I wouldn't say most of those guys have been given much of a shake this season to prove their worth. I dunno. You must be a much better evaluator of talent than me.

Coming into the season, I was riding fairly high on Crognale, Abubakar, and Hansen. It seems like they've all been cast aside except in cases of extreme need. Considering just how poorly almost everyone has played, that seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

So... do we know what we've got in guys like Sosa (590 total MLS minutes) or Argudo (975) or even Hansen (1,678)? I honestly don't think we can say. I do know that I'd rather find out over the rest of the season than watch Guzman dog it.

I resign.

zman31, Draghignazzo, TRUJDUB and 4 others repped this.
  3. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Guys like Guzman? :)

chr1st and hangthadj repped this.
  4. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    With Lyon's hiring and the other early evidence of real ownership, I've come to an alarming realization -

A couple of months ago CrewSC sent out a survey regarding future ticket prices in the new stadium. Suffice to say, if what was being suggested is even close to reality, we will not be able to swing seats anything like we have now.
    My response to the survey was basically - "Bring it!" I'd rather watch a winner through a knothole in the fence. We wanna win.

So, it looks like I'll be trying to work my way into the Nordecke section. My apologies to you good people in advance.

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right, but I'll go back to a previous post (in another thread, maybe) that notes the club just acquired a -currently - spare international roster slot in the Mullins/Hamilton swap. Why acquire that slot - which expires in December - unless you're at considering using it?

A DP signing this summer? Perhaps not (depressing as that may be). But we need upgrades at several positions. Even if we sign a DP (or two) this winter, we'll still have gaps. I'll be very disappointed if we don't bring another player over the summer window.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mensah is officially listed as being out (MLS injury report) for the OC match with an unspecified "right knee injury." Myers tweeted a few days ago that he returned from national team duty with a knee issue that the club would evaluate. Has anyone seen any follow up reporting on this? Knee injuries bring out the pessimist in me.

Accam's still listed as questionable. I doubt he'll play today.

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can always trade it for TAM or GAM to help pay for big signings.

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not worth anything unless it's used to acquire a player during this summer window. So, sure, we could sell it to another club tomorrow. It just seems kinda odd to do so. Plus, other clubs have unused international slots, too, so there's no guarantee we'd even be able to sell it this summer.

Time will tell, I suppose.

9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I just hope Chris Cadden is not our answer for a central attacking midfielder . No one has expanded on what he plays 6,8, RB???

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't worry too much about that.

11. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm also pretty worried about Mensah. He played most of Ghana's tournament and even wore the armband. He sat out the last match and now is out with injury. Given our track record this year...it could be bad on top of bad.

chr1st and TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I've been thinking of: I can't recall a signing quite like the Luis Diaz acquisition in club history. Not that they don't exist, I just can't think of one (granted, I've not put much effort into this).

$1 million fee (one of the largest club history; you don't drop that kind of cash on a player you're hoping becomes the next Niko Hansen) for a 20 year old midfielder without much of a resume. Sorta like Valenzuela, I suppose, but we got him on loan before we ended up buying him outright. With Diaz, basically the club has made a $1 million bet that this kid is going to develop into one of the better outside midfielders in MLS, play for us for a few years, and then get sold for millions in profit. It's really the first big test of this new business model. And while I have a lot of confidence in Bez and investment that's been made in scouting, it's certainly not guaranteed to work out. Should be fascinating to watch play out, though.

Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one's ever implied that a young Scottish right sided midfielder was being thought of as the solution to our CAM challenge. That wouldn't even make sense under previous ownership.

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And sorry for the kinda repetitive posts. Tapatalk is showing me duplicate posts, then zero posts when I delete one, then the post reappears. Grrrr

Guess I should get off my lazy ass and mow the lawn.

15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was asking because i forgot what position he played i heard he was maybe going to be a right back but played in midfield. Then in 19 Games he had 1 Gol and 1 asst . We need international players to start otherwise It’s a waste Hansen and Argudo can give you those numbers for less money

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the shit is Chris Cadden?

17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, that guy that forced us all to take a crash course in FIFA club categories.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. I mean, he's a young player (22) who's been playing in the Scottish Premiership and has begun getting call-ups to his national team. He's scored eight goals as a pro. Our scouting director is Scottish, and probably knows him pretty well.

I mean, Diaz is 20 and has scored three goals in his professional career. What more do we really know about him other than Crew paid a large transfer fee to acquire him?

None of us had heard of either of these guys until they were linked to the Crew.

19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If he is cheap you take a shot but i think everyone just wants to see a investment of a proven 10 from another league. Cadden makes since for the winter transfer window but not right now

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Which i already forgot

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just come mow mine instead?

22. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Because you keep telling people to get off your lawn.

On season ticket prices increasing, don't see them doing that for 2020 season, especially with the performance this season. But for a 'new' roster in a new stadium in 2021, I anticipate shelling out more.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  23. rTheMassive

rTheMassive Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 14, 2015
    Pataskala, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tobias C repped this.
  24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booo. What was the last player directly from Sweden that made a big impact?