2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone with Bez's ear on Twitter or something, please tell him this roster needs turned over like a compost pile.

ibrew, Bill Archer, TKyle and 1 other person repped this.
  2. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Very true. Those four are terrific players. It makes me sad though that not a single German player is on the list at all anymore. Popp, Maroszan and the others are not at the level German players were 5-6 years ago.

Bill Archer repped this.
  3. pericles

pericles Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    JJ Williams scored twice in 6 minutes to send Birmingham over STLFC 3-2

Robbiegoal, chr1st, Tobias C and 5 others repped this.
  4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argudo, Lundgaard and Kempin all started in the Riverhounds 3-1 win over Hartford.

Probably not unique to have both keepers in a game under contract with the same team but its not exactly common either

5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Lundgaard is our next Steffen he has more potential than our other keepers. Bendik is average at best and won’t get better. Kempin might get marginally better but I would start Lundgaard sometime this season after Zac leaves .

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Starting Lundgaard amounts to throwing in the towel on the season.

Draghignazzo and Bill Archer repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does starting Kempin.

I would like to see Williams get time up top, too.

ibrew, TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  8. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lundgaard being our next Steffen sounds rather extreme.

With that said, I'm interested in his development. He was our top draft pick last season and hes obviously still with us this season. Leads me to believe our former GK coach and now technical director Onstad might be high on him. I mean who knows for sure....but once Steffen is gone....I think it's worth giving him some opportunities to start...especially if he excels on loan. It's not like Bendik or Kempin are exceptional and that Bendik deserves to have the spot locked down or anything. If we have a stable of mediocre, serviceable at best gks.. might as well run out the one with some potential a bit.

I also agree with @stanger about JJ Williams. Seemed like a beast in a preseason. Just dominated a debut game in USL. I dont see why he shouldn't be 2nd choice striker honestly.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno whether Williams is the real deal or if he's ready or whatever, BUT when your team isn't scoring goals don't you run some other potential scorers out there and see if they can do better?

Coupe, TRUJDUB, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  10. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I tend to agree about JJ. Obviously I don't know what Coachbot is seeing in practice but with Mullins sub performance on Saturday (which granted didn't give him much time to do anything) and play vs Philly and JJs loan performance/preseason, I'm ready for JJ to get legit first team minutes over Mullins and wouldn't be upset if Zardes found the bench too. Maybe 1 forward up top first half, open the 2nd with 2 up top and sub off the starter after 15-20 minutes. Add a little flexibility in the attack to loosen up the D. Right now we have our preferred attack which seems to fail repeatedly for 80 minutes and then 10 minutes of flailing with 2 forwards as a backup plan. No bueno.

As for GK, something tells me Lundgaard is more a potential backup/stopgap roster spot and not the future. A younger Kempin/Bendik. I could see giving him a chance to earn it but the writing may already be on the wall. If that's the case, I'll defer to Coachbot on whoever he send out PS (Post-Steffen aka the future dark ages).

Tobias C repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, you never know about the kids. Few years back my team was getting smoked and on their way to almost certain relegation. They decided to give the local kid a chance. We didn't get relegated after all. His name? ter Stegen. He's at Barcelona now....

Robbiegoal, TRUJDUB and BigStern repped this.
  12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tobias C repped this.
  13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-4-17_12-55-12.jpeg

Now imagine I had any editing skills

jack sticker, CybrSlydr, TRUJDUB and 2 others repped this.
  14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news! We have a scouting czar. And he was with Celtic so... yay?

"Columbus Crew SC today announced that it has named Neil McGuinness as its Director of Scouting. McGuinness most recently worked for the Qatar Football Association as a Senior Player Recruiter and previously served as the First Team Senior Scout for Celtic Football Club of the Scottish Premiership, Scotland’s topflight."

15. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Qatar national team and the Crew. Name a better match.

But this seems like a decent hire on paper? Only thing I know about this guy is that his name is what a beer order at a Mcdonalds would sound like.

catfish9, TRUJDUB and chr1st repped this.
  16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the_rickler and chr1st repped this.
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, this kinda/sorta who he's replacing:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/or...c-names-ricardo-moreira-director-of-scouting/

Can't say I'm blown away with his resume. But I also have no idea how other clubs staff such a position. It's always seemed as though MLS clubs are tight lipped about their scouting organizations.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, he was on staff with Celtic and responsible for first team scouting and recruitment when they brought in Virgil Van Dijk...

TrueCrew repped this.
  20. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why would the FO pay McGuiness if they don’t have a need for him? I would expect some international signings this summer.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point.

Also keep in mind that the club has stated on the record that they want to run their own Crew 2 USL side in the relatively near future.

As noted, that ESPN article above is two years old. But it certainly seems as though MLS clubs approach "scouting" in vastly different ways, and that resourcing scouting remains a relatively new thing in MLS. You'd think (or at least I hope) that the sale of players like Steffen and Gonzalez, hell, even Ajax's amazing run this year, might make new ownership willing to drop some cash on building out a top flight (for MLS) scouting operation.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #897 Bill Archer, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Well of course being a Senior Recruiter for Qatar isnt anything much like any other job.

His job was not wandering the desert looking for hidden soccer talent. There isnt any. Qatar consists of pudgy princelings who drive Maseratis until they run out of gas or something and then leave them by the side of the road.

Everyone else is a "guest" worker, essentially a slave. They live in old truck trailers and die hy the hundreds every month. They are not and never will be Qatari citizens, and have no free time to be playing soccer anyway. Mostly southern Asian, although the North Koreans do rent out thousands of slaves as well.

So what this guy did was wander Africa looking for young players whose families could be easily bribed to come to Qatar and become naturalized citizens, giving them housing and money and pretend jobs. Then their sons can get Qatari papers and play for their nationals.

Their leading scorer is a native of Sudan. Their center mid is an Iraqi. Last month, when Qatar beat the UAE, they were pelted with shoes by the fans. The UAE filed a complaint which FIFA refused to comment on or do anything about, pointing out that neither player, among others, can legally play for Qatar

Its an ugly, cynical program, and the fact that this guy was part of it gives one pause. On the plus side, maybe he felt he couldn't stand the stink any more, despite what was undoubtedly good money, a went.looking

Coupe and jack sticker repped this.
  23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We will not make a move before May deadline . When will we make a move ? I think they now know exactly what we have so the question is how much talent can we find before the offseason because we need to get rid of about 50% of this roster some of them should be on a Crew 2 USL team .

24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I change my mind :

Abubakar, Lalas 17 D SR keep/ USL team
    Afful, Harrison 25 D SR keep as a back up or sell
    Argudo, Luis 2 M RES sell/ USL team
    Bendik, Joe 1 GK SR sell ASAP
    Clark, Ricardo 13 M SR move on after this season
    Crognale, Alex 21 D RES HG keep/USL team
    Artur 8 M SR keep until you find a better replacement then keep for back up
    Francis, Waylon 14 D SR keep as MVs back up
    Hansen, Niko 28 M SR keep/ USL team
    Higuain, Federico 10 M SR DP keep on discount only ( under 100,000)
    Jimenez, Hector 16 M SR keep until you find a better younger utility guy
    Keita, Aboubacar 30 D RES HG keep/ USL team
    Kempin, Jon 24 GK SUP replace
    Lundgaard, Ben 12 GK RES keep/ USL team
    Maloney, Connor 31 D SUP cut ASAP/ USL team back up
    Mensah, Jonathan 4 D SR keep
    Meram, Justin 9 M SR sell to Iraq or Cut
    Mullins, Patrick 32 F SR Cut
    Opoku, Edward 27 F SUP GA keep only because he is GA/ USL team
    Robinho 18 M SR INTL keep
    Santos, Pedro 7 M SR DP, INTL- keep until you find 2 better starters but next year he would have to take a pay cut , he actually plays well but lacks finishing in final 3rd which we need
    Sauro, Gaston 22 D SR - keep unless you sell high
    Sosa, Eduardo 20 M SR INTL- personally i like him and would start him in mid week games but he seems to be on his way out. Takes a international spot and if you can’t contribute now than you at least loan him out ./ USL team
    Steffen, Zack 23 GK SR - wish we could get on loan , once Man City’s season is over
    Trapp, Wil 6 M SR - keep unless you can sell high
    Williams, Josh 3 D SR - keep for back up
    Williams, JJ 33 F SUP GA- keep/ USL team
    Zardes, Gyasi 11 F SR - keep

28 of 30 spots filled
    Players that do not count against the 30-man active roster
    Valenzuela, Milton- keep

So you sign this summer
    A GK , cut Bendeik or Kempin

Sign as soon as you find a quality starter no later than before next season
    A RB , cut Maloney
    A CAM
    A winger

Considering much of our roster is USL talent level
    We need a USL team by 2020 season so we can add better players .

Core team you keep because they should start:

LB: Valenzuela
    CB: Mensah
    CDM: Trapp
    ST: Zardes

We basically have only 4 guys that are important and valuable everyone else is expendable and should be a back up. We need 7 new starters next year .

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coincidentally, when Sigi took over after 2005, his 2006 roster had IIRC exactly four players left from the previous year.

That was a dreadful team but he was building something. Some of the guys he offloaded weren't that terrible and several had long, productive careers afterwards. Sigi just wanted a clean slate

TRUJDUB repped this.