2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, not obviously. Crognale was on the bench vs Charlotte last weekend.

In "old Crew" news, Oduro was subbed in for Charlotte and scored. Kevan George also went 90 for Charlotte.

https://www.indyeleven.com/news_article/show/1004726

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB, chr1st and 1 other person repped this.
  2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neat!

3. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Always thought Kevan George was a solid MLS type..hmmm...then again I thought I could play baseball beyond high school without playing any baseball in high school.

4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was thinking about TFC's recent acquisition of Pozuelo, and our across the board debates about which kinds of players Porter and new ownership should be looking into signing, and when. This post is more about the when side of the equation.

The furthest back I can find a report about TFC and Pozuelo being in negotiations was January. But TFC would have to have made a discovery claim on him at some point before then, or acquired his rights from another team. Of course, discovery lists are - like so many things in MLS - extra double secret. It's not possible to know when or how TFC acquired his rights. I'm not even sure it's possible to know exactly where his acquisition fits in under MLS rules:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

and, interestingly,

Pozuelo may be a Special Discovery Player, since he's 27:

He's a Designated Player signing, we know that. But I'm not clear on whether a Designated Player can also be a Special Discovery Player.

In any event, TFC had to acquire his discovery rights before signing him. For all we know, he'd been on TFC's discovery list for months or years before he was signed, after Giovinco's departure. Witness the recent story about Joe Corona being acquired by the Galaxy, and that he'd been on their list for 8 years.

Who cares? Well, I only point it out to remind ourselves that these signings may have very long gestation periods. It's reasonable to assume that Tim Bezbatchenko had a hand in the Pozuelo acquisition; that he was placed on the TFC discovery list when Bez was working for that club. Otherwise we have to assume that either (1) TFC recently acquired his discovery rights from another club who had him on their list, but was unable to sign him when given the right of first refusal, OR (2) he was just sitting there, playing in Belgium, and no other club in MLS bothered to add him to their discovery list, which seems hard to believe, but what do I know?

Bezbatchenko and Porter inherited the Crew's discovery list as it was developed under Berhalter. I have no idea what teams in MLS know about other teams' discovery lists. But the only players the Crew could quickly go after would be players already on the Crew discovery list or those that no other MLS club has on their list. Otherwise, we'd have to acquire the rights from another club, and hope they don't decide to sign him first.

I do hope the club signs someone in the current window. But assuming it can take a 1-3 months to actually come to terms with a player and his club once he's been identified, and admitting that the discovery list structure limits our flexibility to just go out and sign whomever we want, don't hold your breath.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't mean to be a jerk and I don't question your post factually but do you realize how ridiculous all that sounds?

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS roster rules ridiculous, you mean? Certainly.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Absolutely. We know how silly they are but when one actually reads and organizes them they are beyond absurd. How the hell did we reach this point?

10. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doom until next year . GO.Crew!

11. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t believe DPs fall under Discovery players. They are more like free agents, they go where they want.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DPs are discovery players. NYC had to buy Villa’s discovery rights from Red Bull when they transferred him in.

Tobias C and Minnman repped this.
  13. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That's because it was a Tuesday and New York City FC was desperate because they already booked the conference room for a press conference with a non-refundable deposit to announce Villa's signing. If they could have waited until Thursday, they would only have had to send Red Bulls a See's Candies or Shari's Berries gift box for Villa's rights.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Who here watches the Belgian league regularly? Pozuela got something like a 4X raise by coming to MLS. He was making less than Santos or Zardes money in Belgium. So it shouldn't be too hard to bring in some of their stars.

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is this a real question?

CBusAlex, chr1st, TKyle and 1 other person repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, we seem to have fans of lots of leagues here. Is there some cable package that carries the Jupiler?

17. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only thought with that is the only worthwhile guys we would get from that league will probably be multi-million dollar DPs like Pozuelo. MLS probably isnt a significant leap upward in level of play or exposure. I dont know the league well but I suspect it's the type where the top 2 or 3 teams could whoop any MLS teams ass 3 out of 4 times but the bottom half of MLS teams would dismantle the bottom half of their table. So while different, still roughly equivalent. If we scout around there looking to pay a guy 500k to 1 mil....we may be more likely to wind up with Yohan Croizet.

Still worth scouting around those mid-level leagues in Europe because theres obviously MLS worthy talent...but only unless we have the time and resources to dedicate to it. Otherwise the better deals are always going to be in Latin America, Africa, etc.

Minnman repped this.
  18. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.

Afful has a broken jaw. Who steps up?

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maloney likely gets a shot. But probably Jimenez.

Tobias C, Draghignazzo and BigStern repped this.
  20. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Our swiss army knife is about to get daily use. Jimenez is first off the bench. Maloney is the only other player on the roster with history at the wingback position. Another tweet I saw mentioned Keita has been at Crew training lately. There was some preseason experimentation with him there so maybe him too.

Less likely but another option is to roll out a different formation to suit the available players.

My guess is still we get a healthy dose of Jimenez for the next couple months.

TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm a lifelong fan of the Hector Jimenez Experience.

Sign me up.

Alneri and DGA57v2 repped this.
  22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Our outside backs are becoming Spinal Tap drummers.

QuarkspaceDotCom and CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting caught with a cucumber wrapped in tin foil at the airport?

24. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you could say this is an...... awful development. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ninja:

stanger repped this.
  25. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I agree with this message.