2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To say Nagbe isn't your cup of tea is one thing, to say he "offers nothing" is insane.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I've said he is a great dribbler which is a skill lacking in MLS and with most Americans. People confuse that skill with quality.

Two teams have passed on him already. There's a reason for that.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta passed on him when they paid 600k+ in allocation money for him? A guy that was a consistent started under Martino? Portland passed on him when he was an unquestioned starter for how many years? Passing on people is what teams in Europe are doing with Trapp, i.e. not buying in the first place.

EDIT: Just read the comments in the Dirty South article, seems the fans would like him to stay and think he's good, pissed that he's trying to force his way out. Just saying.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We'll just settle this the old fashioned way. If he's a good pickup Kyle Crew owes you a six pack. If he's a poor pickup Kyle Crew owes me a six pack.

5. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No way Atlanta would let him go cheaply. This could all be a bogus rumor anyway.

6. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Last year, we had NO ONE off the bench. We picked up Robinho. Maybe Nagbe can be a spot starter and a spark off the bench. We need quality depth one way or the other. I’ve heard someone say we could use discretionary TAM which would come directly from Haslam/Edwards. So we have the money availble. It’s up to ownership to decide how to use it.
    I’m more curious why Onstad is in South Africa. Something imminent?

7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the good thing is we dont specifically need Nagbe either. I'm not sure why hes trying to leave the best team in the league that just won the championship and that he was a key part of. That would seem like the pinnacle of achievement in MLS. Only thing I could see is maybe De Boer sees him having a reduced role or something...maybe bringing in more youth to the first team (I dont know).

If Atlanta has sufficient coverage or feels like they can do without him, and hes pressuring for his release....it would seem we have the leverage as hes just a luxury option for us. I dont think a team like Atlanta would make someone stay who doesnt want to be there. We might be able to get a better deal than some people think.

Alneri repped this.
  8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of this. He is the best in transition and connecting others going forward. I so don’t think his defense would be a big issue, especially paired with the right person.

The worry I have is where Porter actually plays him. He isn’t Pipa or a winger and if that isn’t the plan then I am all on board.

I would bench Trapp and play him next to Artur. Have our outside backs be a little more conservative compared to the past, especially with Milton’s injury.

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly they need to balance Barco, Martinez’s and Pity which means Nagbe isn’t as needed

Tobias C repped this.
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he really likes playing for Porter? Or wants to come back home to Ohio? Or both?

And maybe he's not in De Boer's plans. Who knows.

TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Why be logical when we can be histrionic?

12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My best guess....shopping for a new starting goalkeeper to replace Steffen?

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if I'm the only one who doesn't know this, but where was it reported that Onstad is in South Africa? I can't help thinking there's a Toto connection somehow.

TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a photo of him on Twitter. Can’t remember who tweeted it

Tobias C repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Well, while I understand it's what's on our minds right now, I have a hard time seeing South Africa as a place we'd need to go to get a new keeper.

Maybe our "just graduated from OSU last May and bought Soccer for Dummies to prep for my first real job" new Dispatch beat reporter can track this down for us.

16. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This Management group has been tweeting the crap out of the fact Onstad is in South Africa. Signing is imminent. Kaiser Chiefs vs Orlando Pirates. Let the speculation begin!

1094630632452472832 is not a valid tweet id

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The return of Doctor Khumalo!

WhiteHartShame and the_rickler repped this.
  18. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good Doctor never lived up to all the hype about him during his time in C-Bus, but maybe this signing is something real to get hyped about? Are there any current Kaiser Chiefs players worthy of some positive speculation? I have not kept up with South African soccer in recent times, since Steven Pienaar was at Everton/Tottenham.

19. rTheMassive

rTheMassive Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 14, 2015
    Pataskala, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WhiteHartShame, TRUJDUB and crew2112 repped this.
  20. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He’s physically big and a good passer per his wiki page. Is not known to score goals though. Depth signing? Replacement for Trapp? I don’t think he will be lighting up the score sheets for us.

21. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    rTheMassive repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his fifa stats (i know) he’s definitely a CB.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a weird signing to me. I trying to figure out the need. I guess if he was more of a CM he might be good cover at the Gold Cup assume Trapp gets called up.

TKyle and rTheMassive repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can you poseurs please show some respect and tag all new signings with #BezbatchenkoBrilliance

Tobias C and hungariansteven repped this.
  25. rTheMassive

rTheMassive Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 14, 2015
    Pataskala, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to play as central midfielder, center back, and defensive midfielder.

Obviously we are set at center back, so I assume he will play as a defensive midfielder because a) Ricardo Clark is 36 and is our only backup at center midfield b) Wil Trapp will likely be gone for 3-4 games during the Gold Cup.

Tobias C repped this.