2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is a reasonable, well thought-out take.

Boooooo!

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to make a comment which is somewhat germane and, anyway, I blame the gin. But at least it's the good stuff tonight.

Regarding Abu Keita, he has shown rather well the past couple of games. Hes not Franco Baresi yet but coming after what many people felt was a less than stellar U 20's WC, hes been a real bright spot.

But here's the thing: if not for injuries, he wouldn't have been out there at all. Yet the kid - can he really be 19? - has taken advantage of the chance and made a statement.

That's what a pro does. When you get a shot you make it tough for the coach to take you back out again.

Far too many guys on this team got a shot to show something this year and were found wanting. I lo e Crognale but he was given every opportunity to grab a job, make his mark and become a fixture and he has fallen short. The team was begging for him to arrive and he just did not.

That's not to say that he wont develop but hes obviously not there yet and hes clearly destined for the bench. Hes just lucky the Crew hasn't yet launched the USL side which is on the horizon.

Keita has grabbed his opportunity and made the most of it. Hes not going anywhere. It's how its done.

Unfortunately, in 3 -4 years, Keita will be sold in Europe but until then hes a real bright spot.

chr1st, porchlight and the_rickler repped this.
  3. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can’t wait for a Mensah/Keita pairing, hopefully we get to see it sooner rather than later.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What are you drinking ? Slow down i hope we do sell him to Europe but he might not even have the same success as Trapp who has yet to make the jump . That’s a bold prediction my friend . I hope your right but I’m not seeing that much potential just yet.

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only person that still sees Mensah's boneheaded mistakes and questions him? I feel like I must be the dumbest person on this board, and that's part of the reason I don't post that often, because I clearly don't see eye to eye with most of the takes here, and I will come off as ********ing idiotic if I post my takes.

6. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most emotional? Yes.

Dumbest? Not by a long shot.

Post and opine away, my friend.

eboe, Draghignazzo, TKyle and 1 other person repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He's drinking gin. He made that clear.

Bill Archer and LaMacchia repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If these players didn't make boneheaded plays they wouldn't be in MLS. That's one of the pitfalls of following a minor league team. However, Mensah is making fewer boneheaded plays than he once did. Besides, he's been injured so we think anyone returning will help us.

eboe and TKyle repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe he is drinking Gin and chasing with Everclear
    ???

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Bill has more class than that.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to work on his passing ability which was the biggest issue at the U20. His defending and position was just fine but he was slow on the ball and struggled to find midfielders feet but there is a lot to like.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never been sold on Mensah.

13. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    True...the only reason he is still here..I have had one Yingling Pilsner

14. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Abu has the physical tools that Trapp just doesn't have. Trapp has the mind and the heart, but I think he just doesn't have the speed and strength to be a top tier player in Europe.

west ham sandwich and Bill Archer repped this.
  15. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I love how you always start, maybe it's the <booze>.

TKyle and chr1st repped this.
  16. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOOOOOO! CB9K SUCKS!

BOOOOOO!

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I never said I was good, just consistent.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Haslam>FratAss

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dee could seriously f*ck his shit up.

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I certainly agree with that , it’s why he has more potential. But potential doesn’t win games. Good health is not guaranteed etc... also he needs playing time , chemistry with teammates , good coaches.

I mean Erik Palmer Brown made it but he still hasn’t got much of a breakthrough since being in Europe he is also a CB from Ohio.

Let’s just hope Keita keeps getting opportunities and does well for us first because tomorrow isn’t promised.

21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    His first year he was complete trash just always made bad decisions and cost us a lot of goals and games . Love his speed , physical skills etc... perfect for being able to play a higher line and having speed to not allow a attacker to just get a easy goal. He continued to work hard and is a solid MLS starter. Nobody is perfect but he clearly wasn’t worth what we were paying him while he made those mistakes. Now I would say he is worth his salary he is a key player on our back line and there aren’t to many MLS CBs I’d rather have if any.

But he need a lot of variables to develop into the player he is. Had he been at a better club all those mistakes he made would have got him stuck on the bench. But in the long run GB had faith in him and it was worth it to stick with Mensah despite 99% of the fans calling for his head.

22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aww, I'm emo. My goth side is SO proud. ;)

TKyle, Draghignazzo and LaMacchia repped this.
  23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The math is not working out because the official roster on MLS does not list Mokhtar. Something (someone) has to be moved or perhaps we can think of a special magic trick? I am kidding, of course. What rule could we use?

Right now the official site has Crew maxing out the 20 SR. Add Mokhtar, and we have an odd man out.

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Bendik or Sauro?

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bendik is no longer listed. Has anything official been confirmed on Sauro? I have not seen anything.

I am thinking either a loan or a trade prior to Mokhtar being placed on the roster (however long that process takes).