Rumor: ( HALF USA Spoilers) 2019 Roster Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Aug 19, 2018.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, two games in March, when basically the entire team sucked royally and you don't just want to bench him, you want to ship him out.

You guys are all either delusional or just really harsh.

You all sound like Paunovic "puanovicing" Katai.

The guy has scored in double digits in every season since 2007.

Last season, he had a spell in April/May/June where he went 10 games without a goal.
    I am surprised one of you didn't go out there, personally cut off his testicles and stuff them in his mouth, 'cause "that'd show him."

Of course, he 'only' ended up scoring 15 goals last season, which was tied for the third most for any Fire player in a season (only Nikolic's 24 in 2017 and the Razov's 18 in 2000 were more).

2. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    It also has to do with the style of Forward Niko is, and I'm not sure he fits with the way our other attackers want to play. And he's 32, so maybe get some value now...

3. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is absolutely insane.

milicz, Der Stich and xtomx repped this.
  4. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Ok I'll remember your derision. Let's see the return for everybody's hero at the end of the season.

5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think Frankowski is 100% the player Niko needs. Gaitan most certainly has to be exactly what he needs. Sapong and Katai both have the ability to assist. I think Niko may be really successful this season.

6. When did Vejlko Paunovic inhabit your body?

GHjelm, skinut, bunge and 2 others repped this.
  7. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    #1007 nowherenova, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    I’ll be cheering as much as you guys for him when he succeeds, I just see how badly we need defensive help and I know Niko is still marketable (so is his international spot I’d like to keep Niko AND sign a quality Defender but this is MLS)

8. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This bench/trade Niko talk is insane. He has led the team in scoring for the last 2 years and won the golden boot. He did this with almost no service. Now we sign 2 players that are excellent providers and we want to sell him? He clearly plays a type of game that requires good service and even without it, he has been excellent. To sell him now would be stupid.

skinut, milicz, bunge and 5 others repped this.
  9. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told people on this very board when he signed (I watched him play for Legia Warszawa a number of times) that he will score a bunch for us if he gets the service. He already proved my assertion in his first season by winning the golden boot. You just don't jettison someone like that for a defender.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely agree.

Yes, and my friends who are Legia fans said exactly the same thing.

loonixxx repped this.
  11. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We need to get rid of Paunovic, NRod and Hauptmann way before we need to get rid of Niko

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I agree with Bunge that you can play both, but if you are picking between the two, and one is hot, why not play that guy until he cools down. He has been involved in almost every goal this season. I have no problem playing Nikolic with him, but if you are choosing between the two, I'd go with Sapong right now. I fully anticipate that Nikolic will score more goals this year, so it would be a temp thing. By the way, after just two games, I think I would say that Sapong is a more complete player. I'm not sure that matters if you don't have others who can finish, but just an observation.

13. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    post of the season here, folks.

cchchaplain, willydonc and xtomx repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1014 xtomx, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Because if Nikolic does not play he cannot get "hot."
    I have been impressed with Sapong so far and we have ALMOST won a game with him on the field.

Any discussion of "picking between the two" and going with the worse player because he is "hot" is stupid.
    People said that last season when Alan f'n Gordon scored 3 goals in 3 games, "Oh, he should start more" (and then, of course, did not score or even have a shot on goal for the rest of the f'n season, because he sucks).

Three games into a season is way too early to determine if someone is "hot" or not.

Any discussion of sitting Nikolic because he has not scored in two games is just stupid.

I suggested playing them both and we should play them both, that's why we signed them both.

Of course, Sapong is a "more complete" player, that is not the question, and he should be on the field.
    Sapong is a more complete player, but is not a better player.
    Nikolic is an out and out goal scorer. Sapong is not and never has been.

wolvesfirehope, goldclover and loonixxx repped this.
  15. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is crazy actually talking about on field strategy, tactics, and personnel as opposed to just how crappy the team is being run.

It has been a long time.

nowherenova and xtomx repped this.
  16. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    well, we are kind of doing both

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Come on, now, be fair.

After ten years of horrible management, it will take a lot (winning MLS Cup/appearing in the finals/winning the US Open Cup + going to the conference finals, HauptmanOut, RodriguezOut, Paunovic shutting the hell up and going away) for us to stop talking about how crappy the team is being run.

willydonc, wolvesfirehope and loonixxx repped this.
  18. wolvesfirehope

United States
    Apr 6, 2018
  19. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Frankowski came on for the start of the second half against Austria for Arkadiusz Milik (Napoli striker) in Poland's Euro qualifier against Austria today. The coach said in postgame he made the sub to secure the right wing defensively were Alaba was causing issues. Poland won 1-0 and Frankowski played well.

Chris M., goldclover, bunge and 3 others repped this.
  20. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    (Chants) 3-5-2! 3-5-2! 3-5-2!

lethargytartare, bunge and chiladd repped this.
  21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team doesn't have the defensive personal to play a 3-5-2 sadly.

(Note: I haven't watched a single minute of any game or highlight so far this season ;))

22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed, but what we do have would be best in a 3-5-2.

23. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That's some catch, that Catch-22

GHjelm repped this.
  24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    As was noted here earlier, we went down 2-0 in the 4-4-2 but when we changed formation to the 3-5-2 the scoring was 2-2.

goldclover and GHjelm repped this.