Rumor: ( HALF USA Spoilers) 2019 Roster Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Aug 19, 2018.

1. And the roster speculation thread shall arrive early too. Of course, we will likely have another new manager. If there was any justice on this planet we would also have new ownership and a new GM. That is, if there is a Chicago MLS franchise to support going forward. That's why this thread is listed as Rumor .

According to the ever reliable Transfermarkt site & Wikipedia there are only 6 players under contract beyond the new year. It can be presumed most of the remaining players, especially the lower paid players, have various club options available.

Nicolas Del Grecco
    Aleksandar Katai
    Grant Lillard
    Dax McCarty
    Nemanja Nikolic

A player on the downside of his career like Dax should be looking to play for the MLS Cup which has thus far eluded him. It is no understatement to say that opportunity is not likely to occur with the 2019 Chicago Fire. However, any deal involving Dax will be complicated by a DP level salary for a player with declining value. It's 50/50 whether, or not he stays.

By now you wonder who Transfermarkt lists as the sixth player under contract for 2019.

Richard Sanchez

Moving on, players with club options I expect will be picked up if they choose to return are:
    Raheem Edwards
    Djordje Mihailovic
    Brandon Vincent
    Brandt Bronico

I expect players with club options declined will be:
    Stefan Cleveland
    Nikolas Hassler
    Daniel Johnson
    Jorge Corrales
    Patrick McLain
    Drew Conner
    Jonathan Campbell
    Some may return after renegotiating their contracts. Campbell, Conner, Johnson & McLain s/b eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Draft.

Players who should be out of contract are:
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Alan Gordon
    Michael DeLeeuw
    Johann Kappelhof
    Luis Solignac (may have club option which s/b declined)
    Christian Dean
    Matt Polster
    Despite N-Rod's claim the club & Basti want to renew I doubt Basti wants to return to a complete rebuild project with an organization in turmoil on & off the field. Matt Polster doesn't have much bargaining power recovering from injury. I suspect he will go into one of the MLS Re-Entry Drafts with Dean & Solignac. The rest are likely gone at considerable salary & cap savings.

That leaves:
    Mo Adams
    Diego Campos
    Elliott Collier
    Mo Adams is a tossup. The current regime likes Campos & Collier. As of now all are squad players that take up international slots.

Any incorrect. or misinterpreted facts are purely unintentional. Have at it.

goldclover, seamuslush, Ke1n and 4 others repped this.
  2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one who is orange would say, "Sad."

3. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The San Diego Fire will pretty much be an expansion team build up instead of a relocation .

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Dax, Niko and Katai being traded for funny money in the off season, we are running low on funny money. Back to year one of another 3 year plan........

xtomx repped this.
  5. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Tear it all down.

Mattyb1760 repped this.
  6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the TOP to the BOTTOM......

Sachsen and firefan2001 repped this.
  8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    As a neutral, and someone who has watched the last couple of DC United games, I would love to see one or both go to DC. Yes, they would be old, but Rooney has been awesome and to have these two behind him, they would be really good.

9. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I frankly do not want to see Dax go for anything. I would also resign BS for another season. Do not sell Nikolic. Just ********ing put a decent GK out there with a replacement for Meira beside Kap. If you have to use Vincent put him at LB. Stay healthy. Honestly that team would be pretty good. Then go sign an impact PROVEN Cam and the team is excellent.

xtomx repped this.
  10. Jake Roberts

Jake Roberts Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 7, 2018
    How is DC United so good now? Is Rooney really that good that he can change the whole team?

11. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were they really ever as bad as their record indicated? While their stadium was being built they were playing almost all road games and preforming like most teams do when away. Rooney has definitely helped them though during their current streak..

Gamecock14 and xtomx repped this.
  12. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Our healthy roster is a pretty strong team. We are massively under performing for the talent level. That is all on the coach. Bring in a decent coach, an average GK an average CB, and some better depth (or the young guys develop) and we could make a good run in the playoffs next year.

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    my guess is a good coach could produce a decent back line with the players we have. Pawno has just added chaos and confusion by moving players in and out of the lineup, moving players in and out of position, and bizarrely waiving Kevin Ellis after starting him in 19 of the team's first 24 matches.

Has there ever been an explanation for that move? I'm not making Ellis into the 2nd coming of Ivan Guerrero, but he was probably our 2nd best defender all season before his unceremonious dumping.

I get the feeling Pawno has no idea how to evaluate match performances and assembles his starting 11 based on some odd combo of player reputation, performance in practice, and whatever personal grudge is top of Pawno's mind that week. When the squad fails to perform in a match or two, Pawno panics and inserts whoever ran sprints the hardest at the last training session.

Joe in CO, GHjelm, loonixxx and 3 others repped this.
  14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I saw the thread title and thought I would weigh in. In 2019, yes, my speculation is that there will be a roster. I don't think it will be a very good one, but there will be a roster.

willydonc and xtomx repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think you are being a bit optimistic with that speculation.

We barely managed a roster this year, and that was coming off a stellar year last season!
    (Well, we were third overall, too bad it meant a 1 game play-in playoff)!

We had to sign 6 players between February 28th and the first game (on March 10th) just make a full roster (with Alan f'n Gordon being signed on March 16th)

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The answer is yes. This highlight is worth watching from last week. Dying seconds of injury time in a 2-2 tie game, DC has a corner kick and the whole team goes forward including the goalkeeper. The ball is cleared to the winger who has to take a touch and is eyeing up the 45 yard game winning chip. Meanwhile unbeknownst to him, Rooney sprints from the top of the attacking arc 40-50 yards and slide tackles his ass, takes the ball and dribbles back 30 and sends a long crossfield pass to the back post that gets headed in for the 3-2 win. Unbelievable.
    https://thebiglead.com/2018/08/12/wayne-rooney-dc-united-video-cross-tackle/

goldclover, seamuslush, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Everything that is good about the game (except a lengthy VAR delay) in that clip. Can you imagine Rooney and Basti together in a midfield? Your answer should be yes, because they played in the same midfield at Manchester United. Yes, they are older, but for MLS???? Would be awesome to see.

18. Mattyb1760

Mattyb1760 Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is Campbell so bad that he isn't better than an our of position left back or an aging midfielder. He was great as a rookie! Has he regressed or is he just not being played?

goldclover repped this.
  19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Johnson fvcked up that play. WTF was he waiting for, it was three on zero break. All he has to do was square the ball and Orlando walks the ball into the empty goal, but he decides to take a couple touches.

20. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That run by Rooney reminded me of Nowak when I watched it a few days ago. Thanks for posting it.

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rooney's work rate and vision have always been excellent.
    His passing has vastly improved from the time he was wunderkind at Everton.

Pennsylvania Dave and goldclover repped this.
  22. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    With the way things are going...
    [​IMG]

Chris M. repped this.
  23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Remember last year when we were lackluster as usual until we got Basti and we started actually playing well? That's what's up with DC. They got an impact player who's raised the level of every player on the team. It's not exactly a sustainable thing, but DC does look like they might have the ability to sustain it.

goldclover repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bastian signed on March 27, 2017.
    He only missed the first three games of last season. We went 1-1-1 in those three games.
    Not quite the same thing.

If you mean in 2016, I agree.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  25. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Torres would have helped.

goldclover repped this.