2019 roster, lineup thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I’d switch to for next game...

————Martinez————
    Pereira—-Carleton—Gressel
    ——-Nagbe——Remedi——-
    Shea———————Pogba
    ———-LGP—Robinson——
    —————Guzan—————

Bench: Kann, Parkhurst, Escobar, Larentowicz, Pity, Villalba, Gallagher

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well Villalba picked up a knee knock off that rash foul by Kemar Lawerence at the end of the last match, so expect to see Pereira in the line per your wish.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Pogba is a left-footed cb, has he ever played as a WB, much less on the right side? If we rest Escobar I imagine we'd start Parky @ RB.

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd really love to see Nagbe thrown out as CAM. No one can handle the ball in tight spaces as well as he can, and with teams bunkering as much as they have been against Atlanta, he'd have the best chance to hold onto the ball and make those tight passes.

5. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I wanted that for a long time, however, people (much smarter than I) have looked at the statistics and have shown Nagbe isn't as valuable in the offensive third as he is in the other 2/3s of the field. Below I linked an article from his time with Portland. At that point he had a career high of 7 assists (not that many in MLS terms), but his value is maintaining possession in the back where he gets the defense out of tight situations.

We really need Pity to come alive. I don't think our attack is going to be good until we find a way to make him effective in our scheme (even if we need to change our scheme). We started to click then Barco got called to international duty. Recapture that with our current squad and all is good. Of course We have to pray Copa America and the Gold Cup don't decimate our squad in late June.

https://www.stumptownfooty.com/2015/1/29/7937061/from-the-stump-busting-the-nagbe-myth

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard that before, and if the opposing team plans to actually attack I agree. But if they're just going to bunker in and the majority of the game is going to be played close to their goal, then I think it's better to have Nagbe's skills closer to goal.

While Barco is gone. When he comes back that should be Barco's spot. I know they're trying to get Pity to play the 10, but I think he'd be much better if they moved him back to his natural position on the left.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    AJC is reporting 8 players are on the MLS All-Star ballot.

The listed Atlanta United players are goalkeeper Brad Guzan, defenders Michael Parkhurst and Leandro Gonzalez Pirez; midfielders Ezequiel Barco, Julian Gressel, Pity Martinez and Darlington Nagbe; and forward Josef Martinez. Centerback Miles Robinson, who was just named to the preliminary roster for the United State’s Gold Cup team, is not on the ballot.

Ironic that Miles was snubbed despite obviously being one of best CB's in the league this season and Parkhurst is on the ballot with limited playing time.

8. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I bet the All-Star ballots are generated in the preseason

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently the media selects the players, which shows how much they know. Each team gets 8 players on the ballot and one player from each position must be selected.

10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love me some Josef, but he does not deserve to be on the ballot. The omission of Miles is strange.

11. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    But Roberson didn't get a vote and he is the media that covers Atlanta, even Twellman criticized the selection process. Any media that actually covers MLS would have selected Miles. So right now I don't buy what MLS is selling.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why doesn't Doug Roberson get a vote? Let me guess, that tool Steve Hummer gets to vote for us. Not sure why the AJC even lets Steve Hummer write about the 5 Stripes because it is obvious he knows nothing about the game and sometimes I wonder if he has even seen a match.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    AJC reports that Julien Gressel and Gordon Wild now have green cards and Anderson Asiedu has been released. I am not sure what that all means, but I am guessing it frees up some international room to sign someone when the summer transfer window opens up.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  14. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to see Asiedu gone. I think these first rounders should at least get a year to prove their mettle.

Gressel and Wild getting green cards does indeed free up international slots. Maybe we can get Gressel full citizenship one day and he can be yet another German-American on the USMNT. He's been in the US for a long time now.

VFish repped this.
  15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wonder if green cards also affect US Open Cup standing, which limits international players?

VFish repped this.
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That is a good point, I never thought about this angle.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What I loved about Anderson was his attitude. You could tell he was just excited to be given a chance. I am sorry it didn't work for him, but that kid is going to do something special with his life.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For tomorrow’s game with Barco, Villalba, and Martinez Out.

GK Guzan
    RB Escobar
    CB LGP
    CB Robinson
    LB Parkhurst
    M6 Remedi
    M8 Nagbe
    RM Gressel
    LM Pereira
    CF Pity
    FW Vasquez

Bench: Kann, Pogba, Gallagher, Shea, Larentowicz, Meram, Williams

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way Vazquez has been playing recently in the Open Cup, I definitely like him up top with both J.Martinez and Villalba out. Really not a bad third option at striker.

20. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    FdB already confirmed Vasquez is starting. Atlanta should press for the win since Toronto's main contingent is off playing at the Gold Cup.

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 5’2; he’s not going to be the aerial threat we need.

23. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta isn't selling Pity unless they can break even on him, and I doubt that would happen. My guess would be for the winter, since it's very possible Barco could be headed out then.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News from MLSsoccer is that Emo Hyndman is on his way to Atlanta. Personally, I think that move could be huge. We need depth in the midfield, and Big Red is getting old.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wiki lists him at 5'3", but a) Wiki's been wrong before, and b) 5'3" ain't gonna make him an aerial threat, either... I can still see Romario soaring above a bunch of taller Swedes late in that 1994 semi to score the game winner. But no, it doesn't happen much.

Part of me is thinking 121 pounds isn't going to help a lot, either. MLS is not a skill league, and opponents might just Britbarge him out of the game.

Maybe just rumors, we'll see.