2019 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you could go. I would've been there if it hadn't been for my son's college parents weekend.

And I'm gonna have to miss our final home game because of my daughter's college parents weekend. Geez!!!

You were right about us tonight. We were the better team by far but for 60 minutes we wasted a bunch of great chances.

Until that final goal in the last minute which was so joyous! Kaku's interception, BWP's unselfish layoff and Danny's conversion.

Josh Sims probably earned MOTM. But Kaku definitely earned man of the last 30 minutes. He was absolutely brilliant after coming on.

2 more wins and we'll secure some serious home-field advantage, which is pretty vital in the new single game playoff format.

Good job boys. Keep the confidence. And keep up the great work.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing...

Daniel Royer is my POTS.

Luis Robles might've been that, but instead I'm giving him Player of the Last 5-10 Years. (Sorry Brad, sorry Thierry)

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, Robles took sole possession of fifth in career wins. Wikipedia says he made his Red Bulls debut on September 29, 2012, so he's approaching seven years. He's 35. Since goalkeepers play at older ages, maybe he can reach ten years.

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ryan Meara is the Red Bull's version of Wally Pip. He's a fine keeper, but there's no way he can unseat a healthy Robles, who simply does everything that is asked of him.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meara's OK, but if Robles moves on for whatever reason, we need to go buy a top-class keeper. Otherwise we regress. Sorry Ryan.

6. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Robles has single handedly given us at least a win and preserved several ties every season. I thought this team was dead. Now I’m having thoughts of we’re always a top seeded team and crash out in the playoffs. Maybe the tables are turned and we go further after a sub par regular season

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be nice. Certainly we've tried the other approach, to no avail. Screw the Shield, go for the Cup! (if only it were that simple)

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This team has been through a lot of heartbreak, and it's pretty clear how teams expect to counter the tactics. There should be fewer surprises in the playoffs.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #210 NorthBank, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Wow. We are SUCKING in Montreal right now. Down 3-0. Lost Duncan. Murillo comes in and doesn't cover himself in glory. Now Long down with head wound. And Robles with as poor a game as I can recall.

Ay yay yay. I had a little hope for our playoffs before tonight. But now... no way.

PLUS they just obliterated any chance of playing another game at home. (and me coming out for that)

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls will get a home game if they win and New England wins at Atlanta. It's easier for the 6 seed to get a home game than the 5 seed because the 6 seed can host a 6 vs. 7 Conference Semifinal, whereas the 5 seed goes to the 1 in a Conference Semifinal.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I realized that mathematically it was still possible. But if you were to look up the bookmaker odds of New England winning in Atlanta, I bet they're as tough as any odds in the first round.

Speaking of odds, I guess that Union is also favored over NYRB, although certainly not as heavily as ATL over NER.

So the chances of both NYRB & NER coming up with upset defeats is probably astronomical. Anyone who wants to look that up, feel free!

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States