2019 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Great!! more Connor Lade and Kyle Duncan.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MSG said we have 8 goals from subs. That made me check our statistics, and we have 16 players who scored goals. I found statistics going back to 2009, and in the ten complete seasons from 2009 to 2018 we never had 16 players score. That includes the regular season and playoffs but not other competitions.

There's no way of looking this up, but I wonder where yesterday ranked among the shortest gaps in MLS history between scoring from one of your players and from an own goal by an opponent. We scored a 58th minute own goal and a 59th minute.

3. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Lawrence has been showing why he's probably the team's most essential player, if not the very best on the team.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy that BalanceUT, who is an RSL fan, posted in "The Blowout Comb Thread" in MLS: News & Analysis. A "blowout comb" is a win by at least 4. I posted that it must be rare to have a comb for the game and for one half.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We led 2-0 at halftime before losing 3-2. After scoring in consecutive minutes in the game before, we allowed goals in the 60th and 61st minutes, and Ilsinho scored his second goal in the 72nd minute. Kaku scored our first goal, and Brian White scored our second goal. Philadelphia had better statistics.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Tough loss after being up by 2 at HT.

But... 1T was terrific! I LOVED the way we played that half:

* Aggressiveness & confidence
    * Pace & urgency
    * Quick sharp one-touch passing
    * Exciting direct play
    * Passes in behind & over the top

I wrote these thoughts at the break, as I put my son to bed, telling him "I hope we don't blow this".

Still i'm not too distraught with tonight's performance. We keep playing like that and we're going to pick up lots more points.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done to Aaron long opening his scoring account for USMNT. I won't say anything more, in case some of you still have to watch tonight's match.

Deadtigers and EvanJ repped this.
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know who the Red Bull/MetroStar before Long was to score for the USMNT? Altidore and Eddie Gaven could have done that.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a recollection of Mathis. Not so sure about Klejstan.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kljestan played for us from 2015 through 2017. In World Cup Qualifying, he scored at St. Vincent and the Grenadines on September 2, 2016 and hosting Trinidad and Tobago at EverBank Field in Jacksonville on September 6, 2016. Those were the last two of his six USMNT goals.

In a game on UniMas and Univision Deportes, the Red Bulls won 3-1 hosting Chicago. Chicago dominated shots, 26 to 10, and had 62.8 percent of the possession. BWP was subbed on in the 67th minute. Sean Nealis replaced Tim Parker at halftime, and MLS says Parker is injured. Kaku (8th minute), White (59th minute), Nemanja Nikolic (81st minute), and Royer (90+3rd minute) scored. https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...ed-bulls-vs-chicago-fire/details/video/200087 has highlights.

Zamphyr repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/07/04/warshaw-each-mls-teams-biggest-transfer-window-need is titled "Warshaw: Each MLS team's biggest transfer-window need." It says:

"New York Red Bulls

The obvious answer is the same answer we’ve written in this column for the Red Bulls since 2015: a match-winning winger. In Matt Doyle’s words: “No team in the league has a roster that screams ‘sign Arjen Robben or Franck Ribery on an 18-month contract!’ quite like the Red Bulls do.” They have both the DP and international spots to do it, too. My suggestion that blows Doyle’s suggestions out of the water: Swoop in and steal Yamil Asad away from D.C. United."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...relishing-latest-clash-against-atlanta-united is titled "New York Red Bulls ready for, relishing latest clash against Atlanta United." Lawrence said the clubs don't like each other.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 NorthBank, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Crazy match at ATL!

Royer snd Muyl are BIG assets for us.

And nice to see BWP come back with a bang!

But can we PLEASE end the experiment of Duncan at fullback?

He might be an OK wing back or wide midfielder, but he makes critical mistakes in defense pretty much every game he plays, and several of those have led to goals against.

Today he gave up two! One for dumbass positioning on a 1-v-1 and another for grabbing a star striker in the box, a striker who's not exactly shy about simulation.

If Duncan wants to learn how to be a defender he needs to spend a year or so somewhere other than our first team.

I don't usually rant on players like this, but this guy is glaringly not ready for prime time.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A top quality box-to-box midfielder would get my vote.

14. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I loved the fighting spirit this team showed today. If you want to win big games in this league, you have to care about every single play, ever single possession, play hard to win every single ball. The biggest deficiencies of this club historically have been a lack of heart and effort in a big game. NE has the Red Bulls for lunch on a fairly regular basis just because they play a lot harder.

One last thing, not unrelated to NE, Jeff Larentowicz is a dirty player and he always has been, but he's slick enough to get away with it, he's very cool. I just hope the league takes a hard look at the last play of the game with Larentowicz going out of his way to stomp on Casseres, Jr.'s foot. Stott has routinely screwed this club over the years, but that stomp was as clear as day on the replay and he deserves to get suspended for that and the earlier shove. It was clear he was only in the game to exact some measure of flesh from NY.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Larentowicz is a pr1ck. The day he retires, either of his own volition or not, will be a holiday in my book. I hate players like him, whatever technical ability he might have.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 EvanJ, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they have games in hand on us.

18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #118 Woodrow, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess what you're saying is that the New York Times doesn't cover NYRB or NYCFC like this? I can say that the coverage in the paper edition is virtually zero, because I still get that paper delivered. ;) But I cannot quite say whether their digital coverage is also pathetic. Have they ever published post-match comments like what AJC did?

All I know is that I give Frank DeBoer credit for saying that Larentowicz was stupid for stomping on his opponent, and earning himself a retrospective red card. :D

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Times coverage is inconsistent and tends to focus feature stories on topics other than the Red Bulls, for the past month, the WWC. There is no regular coverage of the club.

21. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Someone agrees with me, sort of:

Gass: My Copa America wishlist for MLS

22. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow it's quiet in here lol

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royer scored both goal of a 2-1 comeback win. The second goal was controversial after a restart was changed from a corner kick to a throw in, and NYCFC was unprepared. FS1 said Royer's first goal of the game was the Red Bulls' first penalty kick of the season. MLS doesn't have a way of checking penalty kick attempts, but before today the Red Bulls and San Jose were the only clubs without a penalty kick goal. The Red Bulls passed Atlanta (who lost 2-1 at Seattle) and are third in the East in points and points per game. https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...ulls-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/203506 has highlights.

Up next is Wednesday at Toronto, who's seventh in the East and only 4-3-3 at home.

24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Proud of the way the team battled back into the game. They were energetic but sloppy early, then grew into the match and really owned it in the second half.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royer has really stepped up, in the absence of BWP, Kaku and others. For me he's our MVP so far this season.

The referees really botched that corner/throw-in which led to our game winner. And they took a full 5' doing so. Probably would've been quicker had VAR been involved.

In the first half they were finding so much space between our defense and midfield. Credit to NYRB for solving that problem in the second.

Onward...