2019 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/pos...-joins-jamaica-concacaf-nations-qualification says he will play for Jamaica in a Nations League qualifier against El Salvador and a friendly against Costa Rica.

He tore his right ACL. Last year it was his let ACL.

I don't know much, but the two public transportation systems are PATH and NJ Transit.

2. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'd suggest taking NJ Transit from Penn Station to Newark Penn. 20 mins there, then you can take a 15 minute stroll to the stadium, take a free bus shuttle or jump on the PATH for one stop to Harrison.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good suggestion. Maybe a little pricier than the $2.75 Path fare, but nicer and shorter train ride. Especially when they're doing work on the Path lines this weekend. I did that walk once, over the bridge... not too bad, especially if the weather's nice.

I drive 95% of the time. But on the odd few times I've taken Path from NYC, I've always gone to Harrison (only 1 change of train was required those times) and it certainly wasn't bad. And now they have that spiffy new station at Harrison which helps.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It always makes me nervous as a fan (and probably seems unfair to a club coach) for a player who's been on the injury list for a long time with his club, to make his comeback in a national team game... and a friendly at that! :unsure::mad:

5. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yah PATH isn't bad if you are going from World Trade, but the weekend having to go through Hoboken just seems to take forever. Worth the $5.50 in my opinion for NJT. Also, you can enjoy an adult beverage on the way.

NorthBank repped this.
  6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm absolutely gutted for Valot. The poor guy can't catch a break.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our makeshift team was poor. Both offense and defense. Duncan is clearly not ready for MLS.

Lade gets injured. Muyl takes his spot and then gets injured. Pray that Jamaica and/or Panama releases their fullback/s early.

8. lassoedd

lassoedd New Member

Arsenal
    Feb 24, 2019
    Yeah, about the attendance, I just have a hard time buying the "location" being the problem. I have traveled to RBA from North Jersey (driving and NJ Transit), from New York via the PATH, via NJ Transit at Penn, and from Kearny. Of course it takes a bit of effort but it isn't any different to the effort it takes to get to the Meadowlands. It doesn't take too long and you can get there on time. Hell, I even a few times drove up to RBA from Philly!

Also, I have been to RBA many times for Red Bulls games and non-Red Bulls games. We always seem to fill up for special games like last year when Benfica played Juventus (which was the same day as Red Bulls-Columbus... which one had a better crowd?) or when the US national team comes to RBA or even the US women's team. Also went when the Red Bulls played Arsenal and even when we took on NYCFC and also in the playoffs (not full but decent in the playoffs).

I know these are "one-off" games which are special but speaking to people at these games, and knowing people who went, the journey isn't bad, they didn't mind.

The problem isn't getting to Red Bull Arena, the problem is that soccer fans in New York at large don't care as much for the team (unless we play NYCFC or maybe playoffs).

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK. As crappy a footy stadium as Yankee Stadium is, I'm pretty sure if that was NYRB's home we would draw many more fans every match.

I think part of the reason for our poor attendance is that New Yorkers are inherently prejudiced. They're more comfortable riding the subway to the Bronx than taking PATH/NJT to Harrison/Newark, even if the time commitment isn't that much different.

I grew up in NJ so I know first hand the discrimination one faces being from there.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The New York Metros, a/k/a NY/NJ MetroStars a/k/a New York Red Bulls were so horrible for so long that it turned a lot of people, permanently off. A lot probably became NYC FC fans. Others are just Europhiles who don't really care much about MLS. But, I'd say quite a few, potentially at least a few thousand are casual fans, maybe even of both teams. They just don't go to many games, having too many other things to do, and just not having a deep love of the team, no matter that the team is now pretty good. As a first impression the original club was never going to keep the fans, perhaps it was an impossible situation; but they made too many wrong choices. It took years to dig out of that hole.

It seem completely reasonable to have expected more fans to return every year over the last 5-6 years. That said it seems reasonable to expect the club to have redoubled efforts reaching out to more fans in an effort to build it up. If anything the base is continuing to erode, just slowly. Maybe there's some residual stank. With Marquez a few years ago and now Kaku this season, the club is still struggling to find a Latin American star player who doesn't implode in some way. They've also gotten out of the habit of buying has-been older pro, but this means less marketability. Other clubs have used those vets to build some street cred but then shifted to cheaper, younger players to stay good. The Red Bulls tried a reset and it didn't work. I'd say that attendance peaked under Henry and has waned year by year, since. Read into that what you will.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well. It's good to know there are teams with more pathetic turn outs than us. See Chicago Fire. Yikes.

12. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This team is a sick puppy right now. That is not a good advertisement for ticket sales.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 EvanJ, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Consecutive 1-0 losses are always bad, and especially for a club that is supposed to be good. Hopefully our change from 2018 to 2019 isn't like Toronto's from 2017 to 2018.

I agree about the location for many people, but not for me personally. I rarely go to games in any sport, and I rarely go to anything in New York City. Off the top of my head I can't come up with a time I used public transportation in over 12 years. Living in Nassau County, going to any team other than the Islanders at Nassau Coliseum is a significant trip.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't talking about people in the burbs, especially not people all the way on the other side of the city. ;) When I said "New Yorkers" I meant the city folks. Those are the people who seem to think nothing of a 30 min train ride up to the Bronx, but would barely ever consider a 35 min ride to Harrison. I offer no proof of this theory, but I have a strong hunch it's a big factor in NYRB crowds since the move to RBA.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They resigned players thinking that was the same as upgrading the team.

It’s not.

Things are only going to get worse.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Newness is an under appreciated quality in a player, from which a lot of clubs have benefitted the season. Just not NYRB.

17. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It tells me that the so called New York fan isn’t as sophisticated as they claim to be. The high press Redbulls version with lower payrolls has been the best in terms of points this club has ever seen. Yet fans don’t turn up because of no stars? I guess winning is less important than seeing an aging star. Not to me. I think it would be hilarious if we’d ever won MLS cup with a bottom payroll and no known stars using homegrown players.

But if they had to do it another way, I’d like the Atlanta-LAFC way of building a team.

Woodrow repped this.
  18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you were talking about, and I posted about the travel for me anyway. Coming from Manhattan, having to change trains in New Jersey or walk in the cold and/or dark can make people not go.

Here is how our ticket prices for tomorrow on Ticketmaster (what the club websites link to) compare to NYCFC:

Cheapest: NYCFC $15, us $16
    Cheapest midfield: NYCFC $44 in 200s, us $36 in 100s
    Most expensive: NYCFC $247, us $215

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's game is on MSG2, but I have to DVR it manually because Fios doesn't know that MSG2 has a game. They have it as "SIGN OFF."

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m starting to get that feeling in my gut that this franchise is imploding. Team stinks, empty building and more tarped sections. We’re starting to really resemble Chivas USA.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the tarped sections. I don't get that... it just draws attention to your attendance woes. Yesterday was a beautiful warm spring Saturday evening, and yet virtually no fans. That plus our initial bad form... I pray it's not the beginning of some death spiral. :(

Woodrow repped this.
  23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Tarped off sections are just lipstick on a pig, shades of Giants Stadium. The stank comes back pretty quickly. Other than about 15 minutes in the middle of the second half where the shift back to a 4-5-1 led to a goal and penalty shout, this team looked largely ineffective. This is shades of the bad old days. It appears that the other players are beginning to turn on Kaku, and the team is in general appears to give up quickly when things don't go well.

It's not just about Kaku, though. Parker could have done better on the first goal, it seems getting a fat contract has not motivated him. They are struggling to find a replacement for Adams. Casseres seems to be adequate, but young/inexperienced. BWP and Royer have fallen off and Etienne just isn't the answer. Jorgensson seems promising, but pairing him with Brad did not create many chances.

From the standpoint of seeing some new faces last night wasn't bad, but that is offset by the big turd the vets are laying, and Kaku just needs to go. "Sorry it worked out this way, Kaku, but you're not happy and not a good fit at this club, and at this point even a buffalo nickel seems like fair compensation. See ya."

24. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    At least you do t play on a rounders pitch like Man City of New York .

Engerland engerland engerland .

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold
    Stones
    Gomez
    Shaw

Henderson
    Rice
    Foden

Sancho
    Kane
    Sterling

Bench
    Hudson Odoi
    Alli
    Dier
    Chilwell
    Maguire
    Lingard
    Rashford
    Walker
    Butland
    Keane

The production line is up and running .

Best team in the world on and off the pitch .

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard about a professional rugby team using RBA as its home.

I guess this wasn't part of Redbull's original plan of playing precision-passing footy on a pristine pitch.

But they have to make ends meet somehow, right?

I can't help but think about the likely damage to our playing surface. And whether this will change our style to be more aerial? ;)