2019 Preseason

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Feb 5, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 GunnerJacket, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    I kept checking the team's website for a list of all these matches but it was never posted there, else I would've started this sooner. Alas.

Note: OP will be updated as results come in.

The team has 4 matches on tap before they begin their Champions League series. All of these will be played in Fullerton, CA, save the match vs LAFC which will be at Banc of California Stadium in LA.

2/2 - ATL 7-1 SEA

Played as four 30 min periods this one featured a lot of B-teamers and youth for both sides. Seattle was missing a few starters due to international duty and Atlanta's first XI played longer as they're ramping up for the earlier start date for their season. Best news from this is no injuries reported.

2/6 - Club Tijuana (B side)

Atlanta, featuring a mostly A side, wins comfortably 6-1. Josef bags 4 goals, including 2 assisted by Pity Martinez. Brek Shea reportedly puts in a good shift.

Prior to that match the AUFC B side tops Cal-State Fullerton 1-0 on a goal by Romario Williams.

2/10 - LAFC

Atlanta took a 2-0 lead into the half but let the LAFfing crew come back and tie in the second. Not a bad match for what was essentially a road game at a western conference playoff side. Full report on the team's website.

2/13 - LAG

I believe the Tijuana match can be streamed off the team's site.

2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually played 4 30 minute quarters, not 3. More minutes to go around.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, it'll be Club Tijuana's B-team. The Xolos face Atlanta and Atlante on the same day, so the Copa Eme Equis gets the starters.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My bad. Thanks for catching that.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, when I went checking for scores I noticed the Xolos had a formal cup match the same day vs Atlante, ironically enough. At first I thought it was a typo!

Scoreline reflects the calibre of opponent, with the Stripes' coming out on top 6-1.

6. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky to get out of that one with no injuries. Some dirty tackles for no reason in that one.

Also that's why Romario sits on the bench. Got himself in to good positions but not clinical enough to finish. Then you see the first team and how clinical they are other than Gressel missing a couple.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure where to put this but Portland just beat Herediano 3-1 yesterday. Game was in Costa Rica but I'm not sure if Herediano played their A side or not.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    According to the AJC Nagbe may be on the way out. He arrived late to camp and rumor is he wants to hook up with is college and Portland coach and mentor Caleb Porter in Columbus. It will be interesting to see Nagbe gets any time with the first team in tomorrows scrimmage with LAFC.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Put in the news thread that feels a bit of a reach. It's not like he's spoken ill of his time here, he's a key player on a team vying to repeat as Champs and it's not like Columbus is a shoe in to compete for honors this year. Plus Nagbe, as far as I know, doesn't have a history of playing the pissy brat.

If he is demanding a trade no reason to not hold Columbus over a barrel.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well as I said, it will be interesting to see if he gets any playing time in tomorrow's scrimmage.

11. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017

Except isn't that the reason he left Portland? He wanted to get paid (My now opinion is he wasn't happy Porter got fired) so he forced his way out? Seems like status quo here. Sure wish we had more time to replace him.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First I've heard that was the reason. There wasn't any major national press about him saying he wanted out ahead of the deal, that I recall.

13. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    You’re right nothing came out that he wanted out but he did ask for basically double his salary. That is a big ask when he wasn’t a DP and a way of forcing himself out.

All that said I could careless why he left Portland and am more worried about our midfield depth. No way can Jeff play every game and Kratz has never played well as a starter and there are only unproven kids after that. I wish they would have done something about this earlier in the preseason.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Nagbe

He didn't feature in yesterday's match but I'm still not panicking. If the guy truly isn't committed I'd rather figure this out now than down the line, but that being said this still sounds fishy. Hopefully the team works it out and we can get on with the season without anymore distractions.

Meanwhile, Atlanta drew 2-2 with LAFC yesterday. One more match this week and then the games all count after that.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He not only didn't see action yesterday but he will not even be training with the team the next few days. Club is mum and the player isn't giving interviews.

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy about Nagbe. When on, he’s on. But when he’s off. It’s like a glaring hole in our midfield.

From watching Barco play, I always thought more of him as a midfielder.

————-Martinez—————
    Pity—————————Villalba
    —————Barco——————
    ——-Remedi——Gressel——
    Pogba————————Escobar
    ——Parkhurst——LGP———-
    —————Guzan——————

Still... I’d like to see us reinvest that money from Nagbe and McCann if we can.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might say push Gressel up to RAM and Barco at LAM with Remedi as the CDM; similar to how Berhalter fielded against Panama and Costa Rica.

18. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One consequence of Nagbe leaving (which I hope doesn't happen) could be clearing up the logjam we have up front. It seems Atlanta has played with a 3-4-3 so far in the preseason. Escobar being out probably has a lot to do with it. Gressel did decent playing in the middle last year. If he can hold that spot, that leaves Tito with a chance to come into the starting 11...

-----Pity--------------Martinez---------Barco-------

Bello/Shea-----Remedi--------Gressell-------Tito

--------LGP------Robinson-------Parky-------

We'll see what happens with Pogba. I imagine once Escobar gets healthy he'd come in for Robinson and move over to the right, if Atlanta stays in this formation.

Of course, this would mean Tito would have to play more defense then we've seen him play in the past. But with three behind him he wouldn't have to be great, just competent. This would be a hell of an attacking squad.

And as much as I want to see Bello get every chance in the world, I have to admit the prospect of having Brek Shea in this formation intrigues me. Shea and Tito's speed attacking from the wings would give every MLS defense fits.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nice to see someone pencil in Shea. I imagine he is going to get a lot more playing time than expected by us arm chair managers.

20. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT troll here. What's the story on Andrew Carleton and why he's not playing? Is there news or no news and we are all paranoid? Best of luck to your team this year.

Eleven Bravo and GunnerJacket repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's probably on par with where he should be, I feel. He's still a physically weak player for top flight matches and while technically gifted he's still working on the team play at this level. With other kids his speed and savvy stands out. In MLS matches he can get lost or caught standing easily. Part of it is figuring out where to put him. He's not an out-and-out striker nor a deeper lying supportive, attacking mid. IMO his target should be something like Villalba as a speedy outside player, but he needs to improve his crossing and ability to track back.

If he progresses, and he'll get his cracks this year, then he'll have senior USMNT potential, but at the moment he's a cut or two below that.

Eleven Bravo, yossarian and yabo repped this.
  22. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you see him as a future #10?

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right now, no, but he's not played there for AUFC that much so I don't have much to go by. His finishing is certainly not as polished as Wood or Altidore, and his diminutive size makes him a liability for receiving aerial balls. Given the right roster and strategy it's possible he could succeed in that role but at what expense to the team as a whole?

If he takes his chances this season maybe he breaks out and shows the potential of, say, a Theo Walcott or Andrei Arshavin, both smaller players with speed who found their niche in striker roles. But if he can't score then he'll have to settle for something more out wide.

yabo repped this.
  24. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the knocks on Tata was he didn't like playing young players. Couple that with the fact that he played a position where United was arguably the deepest (Miggy, Barco, Tito) and you get a recipe for not a lot of playing time. He also acted like a kid around MLS Cup, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. The few times he did come in he didn't look too overwhelmed. He's played some games for United 2, but from what I understand he hasn't exactly lit the USL on fire.

We've got a coach who likes to play young players, and (potentially) a much more congested schedule. If Andrew doesn't play more this year then I'd be concerned. He's still a teenager so I'm not going to write him off yet, but you'd have to wonder at that point if it wouldn't be better for the kid's development to go elsewhere.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the U20 World Cup as well. He'd be away from the team for a while, but it's playing time.

yabo repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to sound more pessimistic than most. But, I’m predicting a dud.

In a sense, his ceiling is more Julian Green than Christian Pulisic.

He’s weak and slow. Which, at the higher levels, a winger without Olympic pace is no winger at all.