2019 Playoff Watch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by tvromero, Apr 9, 2019.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The way they lost LAndy the way they did, any team in MLS would implode. They also lost Ronnie Ekelund and Jeff Agoos. They had been very important players in those years.

2. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Update for the last two games

Seventeen games in, with 17 to go and we are sitting in 5th place on points and PPG and in a playoff spot. We are in 5th place (+3 spots) on PPG with 1.47 (+0.2) PPG with the 6th place team at 1.41 (MFC).

The current trend is ~47 (+3) pts for a playoff spot, our last results gives us 25 pts (+6). We need to average 1.29 PPG (-0.03) to reach 47.

Last Three Games:
    2W, 1T – 7 pts (2.33 PPG) (+0.67) – Outstanding

Next Three Games:
    - Three Wins - outstanding
    - Two wins - outstanding
    - One win, two ties - moving up
    - One win, one tie – keeping up
    - One win - losing ground
    - Three ties - losing ground

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/SanJose.html

Chance of Playoffs: 62.5% (+22.3%)
    Wooden Spoon: 0.0% (-0.8%) -- Cincinnati = 11 pts (0.61 PPG)

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I whine about our team a lot, but I have to say, right now, we are legitimately in the playoffs! We can even start thinking about finishing in the 4th, maybe 3rd playoff spots! That would be excellent!

I've been critical of Almeyda too, but I have to acknowledge (and happily I might add) that he's doing a great job. I still think that we need a couple of more high quality players to really become contenders.

But I have to say that I am please with this season. We're doing sooooo much better than I had expected. (And of course, this really bolsters my view that coaches have more to do with team quality than the players.)

Extra points for knowing who the guy sitting next to Brando is. (No fair looking it up!)

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a big jumble behind the top three (all above 90%)...
    Minnesota 73%
    Portland 65%
    San Jose 63%
    Dallas 62%
    Houston 61%
    RSL 52%

After that SKC, Vancouver, and Colorado are a combined 37%

5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    last year at about this time we had a 2% chance of making the playoffs.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8 teams over 60%... that puts us 9th (with ~40%)...

7. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Update for the last two games

Nineteen games in, with 15 to go and we are sitting in 6th place on points and PPG and in a playoff spot. We are in 6th place (-1 spot) on PPG with 1.47 (+0.0) PPG with the 7th place team at 1.45 (Dallas) and the 5th place team at 1.5 (Houston).

The current trend is ~50 (+3) pts for a playoff spot, our last results gives us 28 pts (+3). We need to average 1.46 PPG (+0.17) to reach 50.

Last Three Games:
    2W, 0T – 6 pts (2.0 PPG) (-0.33) – Outstanding

Next Three Games:
    - Three Wins - outstanding
    - Two wins - outstanding
    - One win, two ties - moving up
    - One win, one tie – losing ground
    - One win - losing ground
    - Three ties - losing ground

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/SanJose.html

Chance of Playoffs: 56.9% (-5.6%)
    Wooden Spoon: 0.0% (0.0%) -- Cincinnati = 12 pts (0.74 PPG)

8. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I guess it is good news that we now have a PPG, including the awful start, that is all we need to make the playoffs. I am trying to remind myself of my hopes coming into the season: not get the wooden spoon, play the kids. That was it. Human nature causes me to try and forget that and now no longer be satisfied with anything less than making the playoffs. I guess I'll let that happen, while trying to remember that at this point, any additional success is gravy! We really had no reason to expect more than 30 points this season.

Cincy is running away with the Wooden Spoon, but I don't want the "Western Spoon" either, and that is more possible than it was (though still not very possible), which is strange because we have been great. But all the bad teams have suddenly turned it on, leaving Vancouver as the only team I'd consider "bad" in the West. We have two games versus the Rapids coming up, and it turns out to have been a major advantage for our competition to have played them in the early season when they were terrible. Only the Quakes and the Loons didn't play them in that stretch, though only Houston, Vancouver, and RSL won in Colorado.

That turned out to be a lot of text =)

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gravy? I have bets riding on these results. :)

Quakes are currently on pace for at least 13 wins and they're still within striking distance of finishing ahead of Atlanta.

By the way, the Quakes currently have an identical record as the Red Bulls (albeit lose a goal-differential tie-breaker). 8-7-4. I don't have a bet riding on finishing ahead of the Red Bulls, but I will remind everyone who earlier in the year was sniffing New Jersey jockstraps that I told you so -- the grass in not greener there.

Wondo is not washed up, after all.

Shea Salinas is currently on better form than Sebastian Lletget.

And Matias Almeyda, the best coach in the hemisphere, admits publicly he is in San Jose primarily because of that alleged "grifter", Jesse Fioranelli, who looks smarter with each passing day.

But the Ultras (supposedly) sing too many songs about themselves. And the visitors' locker-room at Avaya is (purportedly) Third World. So, lots to complain about, still. :)

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention having the worst primary uniform in the league for the third consecutive season (after having among the best ones the prior three seasons), not having a jersey sponsor, still not having an exterior stadium skin (and in fact, having ownership go out of its way with the city council to continue not fulfilling its promise to finally install one :rolleyes:), having an unfinished roof, still not having most parking lots paved (and the resultant dust storms) and not replacing a now-bankrupt stadium naming rights sponsor, among other things. :thumbsdown:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  11. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    The question becomes "what could Almeyda do with the LAG roster?" Could he make Lletget look like Vela? The bad thing about Almeyda being so good is that it makes it hard to judge the quality of the rest of the organization.

12. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I have to say I don't hate it as much as you do. Also, I just got my TT jersey, and I like not having some random company's name on my chest. Obviously it isn't great for the team finances, so I hope we do get one, but I am happy to have gotten my jersey at a time when we don't.

JazzyJ repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can say the same about Belichick. But still people say a 6th round draftee with no athleticism is the GOAT.

MtnGardener repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As great as things are going ON the field, we can't let our ownership get away with these skinflint, miserly infrastructure, marketing, and overall FO initiatives. A winning team can be transatory and difficult to maintain consistently from year-to-year, but a healthy, well-finananced, and well-run stadium and office operation are necessary to build the fan engagement necessary to sustain interest during the inevitable lean years on the field.

markmcf8, Quakes05, tenfourteen and 2 others repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abso-friggin-lutely! :thumbsup:

The current Golden State Warriors regime is a perfect example of this. Soon after their current ownership bought the team in 2010, they quickly built both a top-notch roster and a top-notch front office, the exact opposite of what the team has had in both aspects for the previous fifteen or so years.

And now that the Warriors roster is going through perhaps its biggest transition of its current Golden Age, it's fortunate that the top-notch FO is still in place - not to mention that they're now headed for a brand new NBA arena as well. :thumbsup:

-G

Scott Rohde repped this.
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How come? :(

Not even if the new jersey sponsor ends up being this? :confused:

-G

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Warriors games will be even more unaffordable in San Francisco than they have been lately in Oakland. Not something to cheer about, in my mind.

And didn't Kevin Durant have different perspective on how peachy everything is in that organization?

The Warriors went 40 years in the wilderness before repeating as champs. Quakes look pretty good in comparison.

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Personal taste? I think the old jerseys look... like old jerseys. Like someone from the 90s showed up and made them. I think the new jerseys are fine, as did, I am sure, the person who designed them. It is just taste, I don't argue mine is better.

DotMPP, SeaJayBee, hc897 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #145 falvo, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Worst to First? I can't believe this run! If we weren't tired from the travel and playing all the games in succession when losing to Minnesota, this team will have been second or third overall and in the west behind LAFC!

We have an incredible team going ladies and gentleman! I can't ever remember a 3 month progress like this from a Quakes team!

Let's enjoy it while we can and hope it continues!

Playoffs are almost certain now MLS Cup dreams?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Earthquakes Prove Everyone Wrong in So Cal - Center Line Soccer

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    DotMPP repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    long ways out, but our dream opponent is obviously the LA Galaxy at this point. Houston and Seattle i feel we also would match up against.

Dallas feels like an opponent a playoff could go either way but i feel we'd have the slight edge. RSL feels the same.

The matchup I want absolutely nothing to do with initially is against Minnesota, they have our number like we have the LA Gals.

and of course, LAFC, the top of the mountain.

bsman repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quakes up to number 3 in ESPN’s power rankings only behind LAFC and Philly. Amazing after the first month when they were 24th.

markmcf8, SeaJayBee and MtnGardener repped this.
  25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Disagree. MLS is too chaotic to make a trend out of two games. The Quakes win at Stanford was convincing from a score standpoint, but not a moment to moment standpoint. It could have turned out very differently. The recent win was definitely convincing, but is the team likely to play at that intensity in every single game? Is LA going to play that poorly in more games? I wouldn't expect them to.

Along the same lines, I'm not sure the Quakes would be bested again. It's certainly possible they could, but I'm still not totally sure what Minnesota's true talent level is. I don't really buy into the idea of a team having another team's number, especially in a league where the teams only see each other a couple times and the quality of the teams year to year varies a lot while still managing to stay relatively similar.

Every game is a big gamble, is what I'm saying, so I think when it comes to playoffs, all you really should care about is where you will be playing (home field advantage) rather than which opponent you'll be facing.