2019 Philadelphia Union - Away Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by drewuke, Mar 14, 2019.

1. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am in a somewhat interesting time in my life, and will be attending both the Atlanta and Cincinnati away matches in the next couple weeks. (I've only been to Columbus away before). So I wanted to make a thread where people could discuss attending away games.

If anyone is attending this weekend or at the end of the month in Cincy, feel free to message me. I'd love to grab a few beers and watch the Union lose with company!

thomas19064, Yo-Joe and aztec21bas repped this.
  2. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Recap from Atlanta: Oh damn. Not to overdo it, and build their ego even higher, but damn Atlanta is a soccer city. And it's an American soccer city. It's what I think every American soccer fan has dreamed of since they were little. Remember when our league almost died? Like the one before it. And the one before it. And the one before it. But now damn, 42,000 on a Sunday night vs the Union? How did we get here? I got into town on Sunday morning, and from the first step, you could tell the city breathes the team. Jerseys everywhere, flags everywhere, bumper stickers everywhere. We talk about it a lot, to which market teams should aim for, I've heard everything from latinos to families to hipsters, but this city captured everybody. It's insane. People from all ages and backgrounds and races, everybody cares about this team. Even in the stadium, people care. It's not just cool to go and say you're there, it's cool to buy the jersey and actually follow the team. The stadium itself is as insane as it looks. The outside is so extra, yet on the inside, they went the opposite route. It's so minimalistic. You can't walk ten feet without walking into a food stand (the prices are that cheap too) or a team shop. They built the billion dollar stadium, but understood the fan with twenty bucks in his pocket.

The game itself was fine, lol. They didn't let me sit with the away support because my ticket was in another section. I mean they're just doing their job, so no biggie, but it's a lot different vibe than in Columbus, lol. Both teams played alright, and are still going to need a while to click. I don't really know what the Union are trying to do with the 4-1-3-2. They don't have the backs for it, nor the finishers, nor the midfielders really. Picault isn't a striker, and Haris isn't a CDM. Elliott, Aaronson, and Blake looked really good. Trusty looked shaky, and Burke just looked pretty bad, but set up the should-be winner late. Hopefully Jones gets some minutes to build confidence and consistency, but I don't even know if I noticed him involved in a play the entire second half. I actually missed the Union goal because somebody threw a koozie at the guy sitting next to me and I looked back up, and it was 1-0. How Union. And it was weird to think I was actually going to attend a win, which would have meant I would have seen the Union win in more states than lose. So of course they tied, but it was a fair tie. Atlanta was so boring with the ball, but looked so electric once Barco came on. Him and Josef created twenty of the most exciting minutes of soccer I have ever seen in MLS. (Throwback to the Union scoring three goals in like 9 minutes vs Vancouver years ago when Hack got fired. Also throwback to the Union giving up three goals in like 6 minutes vs the Crew to end their season).

The weather was also perfect, 60 degrees and sunny the entire time I was there. And it was quite the experience being pushed onto the train after the game by middle-aged women dragging their kids along. Overall, Atlanta is basically a must on any American soccer fan's bucket-list and lives well up to the hype.

slitz, Union42, aztec21bas and 3 others repped this.
  3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Five Stripes - meh - are still second fiddle to the primary tenant.

They're the second favorite son of Arthur Blank.

It's not a billion dollar soccer-specific stadium.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m trying to make it to the DC game this year to check out that new building... maybe a trip up to RBA too, have’t been there since 2010 so I’m due for a return trip.

I’ve been to away games at:

Red Bull
    NYC
    Toronto (pre-renovations)
    Montreal
    New England
    Columbus
    DC (RFK)
    Chicago
    Houston

cwelch999 repped this.
  5. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go to DC, don't get tickets in the away section. You might as well be climbing a mountain to get to the top of that thing. It is STEEP! There were people who were afriad of heights that couldn't handle it and went to the concourse to watch.

thomas19064 repped this.
  6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be attending the FCC and Galaxy away games the next couple of weeks.

Been to away games at:
    • Galaxy (Union and non-Union), Chivas LA (Union and non-Union), LAFC, Rapids, Dynamo (Union and non-Union), Fire (non-Union), FCC (soon to be Union and non-Union), Louisville (USL), DCFC (NPSL), Vegas (USL), and a boat load of PDL matches.

OwlSaver, Yo-Joe and cwelch999 repped this.
  7. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was thinking (and low-key planning) to go to Minnesota for the game next week. But I don't think I can justify the 12 hour drive there (and back) in one weekend. I would have loved to go though, and I'll definitely make it there eventually.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  8. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can fly non-stop RT to MSP for the game for as low as $132. That's a lot less expensive than driving.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  9. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I went to a game at RFK ages ago in the pre-Union days when I was a SJ Earthquakes fan. That was an interesting experience.

As for the Union--seen them at NYCFC, SJ (the Conor Casey comeback game), Seattle. Looking to add Atlanta to the list now that I'm back on the east coast but couldn't make it down this year unfortunately.

Went to a few other Earthquakes games when I was stationed in Monterey too--over the course of two seasons saw them play Vancouver at Avaya, LA Galaxy at Stanford, and Orlando at Levi's (49ers stadium) as well as the Union game.

10. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm taking my son to Minny next week. Round trip, non stop from BWI was $210

11. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give a shout if you need any dining recommendations/things to do.

12. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks! We are staying at the Hyatt near government center. Plan to take the light rail everywhere. Any recommendations on a relatively kid friendly place to watch the NBA finals on Sunday? Any decent sports bars in that area?

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downtown is pretty walkable. But the light rail is the way to go for the game.

I know Surly Brewing is doing a free pre-game event at Turf Club (off the light rail, near the stadium). It's a bar/venue so I'm not sure if it's 21+.

As for sports bars. I would assume any of these are pretty kid friendly. They're all pretty large spaces:
    • The Local: Soccer/sports. Plenty of TVs.
    • Brit's Pub: Soccer/sports. Plenty of TVs.
    • The Pourhouse: It's where The Rights to Ricky Sanchez podcase hosted their Fly the Process event before the Sixers-Timberwolves game.
    • City Works: I've never been but I've heard it's a decent sports bar. Close to Target Center and Target Field.
    • Hell's Kitchen: More of a restaurant but there are a few bars in there. I'm generally only there for breakfast, but it was pretty well packed on the Saturday before the Eagles Super Bowl.
    I'm sure if you look into any of them something will catch your eye.

mattylip repped this.
  14. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perfect, thx! You think that pre-game thing would be Union fan friendly?

15. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea. Minnesotans in general are pretty friendly. I can’t imagine anything worse than friendly banter. I haven’t heard of any issues with United supporters. And if we’ve learned anything from the Eagles Super Bowl run, Minnesota fans are notoriously soft.

thomas19064 and lopezzzz repped this.
  16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is thinking about the Orlando game, Frontier has Trenton to Orlando tickets available for $97 round trip. Leave Monday 7/1, come back Thursday 7/4. If you can get by for three days off of a "personal item" sized bag, it's a great deal!

cwelch999 repped this.
  18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Will be at Yankee Stadium in 2 weeks for the game. Haven't been there before. Expectations are low for the experience.

19. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went last year. The supporters seats werent good, but thats expected. Security treated us well. Some decent beer right behind the section. If you're driving, there is a garage close to the entrance they told us to use. We tailgated in there without any issues

Phillyspur repped this.
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the worst stadium I've ever been to for soccer... if you like baseball monument park is open and it's empty, so that's nice.

Phillyspur repped this.
  21. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went a couple years ago. The sight-lines for soccer are horrific, and when I went our boys in blue lost. That said, I sat with the general population since I was with a friend from NYC and the worst I experienced was some good natured ribbing. Verdict: terrible locale, good people.

Phillyspur repped this.
  22. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I went for the playoffs and a regular season match a while back. They stick the supporters away from the field at home plate. I’ve sat in 211-213, closer to the corner flag. Row 1 will keep you over the people walking and you’ll be dead onto the rest of the field. Not too crowded the times I’ve been and a quick walk for beer and hot dogs. It’s more expensive for food obviously, but otherwise good. The lots across the street are underground but easy in and out to the Deegan and back to the GW for playing “Escape From New York”.

Just got back from France and saw that Scotland Argentina women’s WC match at PSGs stadium. God, Euro stadiums are either futuristic spaceships or foreign versions of Three Rivers Stadium or what our high schools use. Parc des Princes is Trois Rivieres. Just a concrete squarish oval in a crappyish neighborhood.

Phillyspur, jaykoz3 and lopezzzz repped this.