2019 Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Dec 10, 2018.

1. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Good thing the qualities of a good captain can be easily distilled down to a team's win/loss record.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Algeria. Period.

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I apologize that my goofing on someone named "Keaton" turned this thread into a referendum of Wil Trapp's career choices and performances.

TKyle repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #NoRegrets

Flyer Fan repped this.
  5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That wasn't even what that post was about. That post was about me not being a sucker and taking a poor bet.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s almost like winning trophies involves a minimum of 10 other people. Maybe it’s a personal preference but for players I don’t use them winning things as the ultimate judge of a career. On the flip side, I do use that much more for coaches when evaluating their legacy.

Porter I dont love but at least he has proven to be ABLE to win some trophies. He has had some real failures (qualifying) but better than always just being middle of the road all the time.

KCbus repped this.
  7. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    No, just your first sentence was about that. The rest of the post was questioning Trapp's role of captain based upon the team's record/trophy count. We get it...if you're not winning all the trophies then you are an abject failure. Every post doesn't need to remind us that is your opinion. Come back when you get your record fixed.

8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This above post was an abject failure.

The point here is that Trapp captained the U-23's and the Crew later under Berhalter. He also captained the USMNT in a few meaningless friendlies under interim coach Dave Sarachan. The point is in laying out that history that it would be a suckers bet to bet that a 21 year old who has not captained his club team or any US youth team will wind up captaining the USMNT more than Wil Trapp. Even if Trapp doesn't captain another game for the USMNT, it's a longshot.

You are making this much more complicated than it is. If you have issue with Trapp's team missing the Olympics take it up with Herzog and his teammates. As for Trapp it's just part of his resume now, for better (the captaincy) and worse (the failure to even qualify, let alone win a trophy/medal).

10. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    By that (ridiculously moronic) metric, Demitrio Albertini had a more illustrious career than Roberto Baggio, since Albertini captained gli Azzurri six times and Baggio only the once.

hangthadj repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I see. It was a great moment but does that one thing make him the best ever? I think not.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put him over the top. IMHO. At least as far as field players go--and modern era as well. Pre-modern era, you have Gonsalves, Patenaude, and Bahr to consider, among others.

13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbo Crewfan and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    No, the point here is you can’t resist the opportunity to bag on Berhalter/Trapp/or pretty much any positive thing that’s happened in Columbus that didn’t result in a trophy. We get it. You’re a contrarian with high expectations...you must be a joy at parties.

KCbus repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You may want to sit down for this one.....

Most of the East Coast Elite cocktail parties I attend don't get into the specifics of our shitty little single entity domestic soccer league, let alone the xGoals of the 2017 Columbus Crew, or Harrison Afful's 23rd mishit cross of the Colorado match.

The high expectations we hold are for the bartender, and looking down on your vinyl collection and whatever books you chose to display on your bookcases.

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We'll just disagree on this one. Or we'll agree IPAs are played out and overrated.

18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IPAs are the worst :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TKyle, POdinCowtown and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  19. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unsophisticated swine.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll not argue the latter--I hate that every craft beer maker seems to have to hop up any beer like an IPA, even if that style doesn't call for much hops.

TKyle and puttputtfc repped this.
  21. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    I don't think it is necessarily that IPAs are bad, it's the overuse of hops by Brewers to mask the imperfections of a beer. Throw in some hops and raise the percentage to hide the fact that you just really aren't that good of a brewer.

Managed at a pub for a couple years that had 23 rotating taps. The discussions I had with brewers, distributors, my bar manager, and customers ate ones that will stay with me forever. One that sticks out to me and was constantly reiterated was that if a brewery makes more IPAs and pale ales than other styles combined, they are probably not that good and just in it for the money.

puttputtfc repped this.
  22. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
  23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that FCC is taking an interesting approach to their roster. Right now they look pretty decent defensively but not sure how they create and score anything. I wonder about their ability to pay to bring in some higher quality international talent. Heck, even their coach and GM seem a little on the cheap side.

24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.
    Seems pretty risky for FC Food Lion. Are they really gonna find much talent in the superdraft? Should’ve gone with the GAM.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, they are gonna have something like 2/3 of their roster be made up of USL and NCAA guys?

*attempts to contains chuckle*

OK...

Draghignazzo repped this.