PBP: 2019 NWSL Week 8 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Jun 1, 2019.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of predictions for the WWC, are there going to be any contests for match scores predictions or bracket challenges? Here's looking at you @Soccerhunter . ;)

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    castate, blissett, holden and 1 other person repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did it really happen? A ref must be quite ill-advised to make such a call! :geek: At which minutes of the match was that? I'd like to watch the scene.

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was around the 56th minute, but I haven’t pulled it up to check. IMO the ball made contact with her arm well below the shoulder and so she was called for the foul.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Found it, thank you: it was more or less where you had said, at 55th something. :thumbsup:

6. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I looked at the Pickett "handball." It does look like to me that she played the ball with her arm -- so I guess it's an "armball."

Maybe in the name of exactitude we should change the rulebook to call the foul an "upper appendage ball" rather than a handball.;)

Anyway, she argued her point with some heat -- and it is a good point.

blissett repped this.
  7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I've had refs explain to coaches that the Laws of the Game say "handling" rather than "handball."

But I just looked it up. There's a section on "handling the ball," but it says a direct free kick is awarded for "handball."

CoachJon repped this.