PBP: 2019 NWSL Week 6 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, May 18, 2019.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    83' 1-2 Houston subs in (2 of 3) #15 Cece Kizer (1st cap!) for #10 Christine Nairn.
    86' 1-2 Houston subs in (3 of 3) #24 Jamia Fields for #7 Kealia Ohai.

87' 1-2 K.Johnson turns and chases a ball rightward, Brooks jumps across her and stoop-heads ball away, Brooks' left elbow follows through into K.Johnson's head. Johnson stays down, rolling. Stoppage for head injury, K.Johnson eventually walks into touch. Chicago resume with 10, holding their 3rd sub.

90' 1-2 Resume. +6'.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 Gilmoy, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    90+2' (of +6') 1-2 Hanson turns to chase a high clearance at ~30m mid-right, Sánchez overtakes her from the left flank and outjumps her, they bump heads. Hanson pops up quickly, Sánchez stays down. Brief stoppage, both walk into near touch.

90+4' (of +6') 1-2 Chicago fk, Boyd longball to Nagasato in box mid-left, she shoots high wide right.

90+4' (of +6') 1-2 Chicago subs in (3 of 3) #23 Brooke Elby for #10 Vanessa DiBernardo.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+6' (of +6') 1-2 Fields chases down a cleared ball at 40m mid-left, overhits a pass up wide left, too far for K.Mewis.

90+7' (of +6') 1-2 Chicago make short triangle passes above box top wide left, finally called offside?

90+7' (of +6') 1-2 Houston cross high toward K.Mewis at 15m right post, Wright heads back to Boyd.

FT 1-2.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Houston obviously missed Daly as it was unable to get much of anything out of the central forward position. Casey Short kept Ohai under control out on the left flank further reducing Houston's offense. So the Houston offense was pretty much Huerta -- who almost got a second goal.

I thought Hanson and Romero had good games for Houston. Brooks likewise, who is one tough player.

I love to watch Maria Sanchez for Chicago --- but she plays behind Vasconcelos who is doing very well -- so Sanchez is having a tough time breaking into the lineup.

It will be interesting at the world cup to see if anybody can put a lid on Kerr.

Interesting that there were four present or former Mexican national team players on the field: Huerta, Romero, K. Johnson, and Sanchez.

CoachJon, blissett and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Week 6, the table is ... not what we expected :D

(6) 11+05 (+13-08) +3=2-1 1.Chicago
    (5) 10+02 (+05-03) +3=1-1 2.Utah
    (6) 10-01 (+07-08) +3=1-2 3.Houston
    (5) 10+04 (+08-04) +3=1-1 4.Washington
    (6) 09+06 (+12-06) +2=3-1 5.North Carolina
    (5) 08+02 (+12-10) +2=2-1 6.Portland
    (5) 06-02 (+04-06) +1=3-1 7.Reign FC
    (6) 02-05 (+05-10) +0=2-4 8.Sky Blue
    (6) 01-11 (+02-13) +0=1-5 9.Orlando

Utah, Houston, and Washington in the top 4; Orlando below Sky Blue.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy for Washington. After last year's draft I predicted they'd do well in 2018. I was off by about a year. They look competitive this year.

I had forgotten about all the friendlies this month, so the missing USWNT players (through the end of the WWC) will certainly take it's toll on the team standings.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess this match-day showed once again the difference between Kerr and others: she puts the ball in the net where other wouldn't.

The comparison is not only with her team-mates (Vasconcellos found herself in a similar situation to the one of first Kerr's goal, but was unable to score), but also with strikers of other teams: Lynn Williams, in the game vs Utah, was incredibly wasteful; she missed two chances where Kerr would have probably scored two goals. :coffee:

And Courage champions currently out of the play-off positions. :coffee: As @MiLLeNNiuM said, I guess many underestimated how the international duties of WWC players would have affected the league.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I thought the two were pretty evenly matched. It was very fun to watch. While she didn't have any real good shots (just that weak one near the start), Ohai did get a couple good crosses off. And she made a couple really good runs where her team just didn't seem to see her and passed to someone else instead. Though there was one time when she didn't make a run that seemed pretty obvious, so it's not like I'm saying she was perfect or anything.

From an Ohai cross ;)

I didn't think they'd do as well as they have been, since they weren't great last season. But I guess the new coach isn't doing too bad of a job getting the team to perform better.

I certainly wasn't expecting that. I thought they'd dominate, even without their USWNTers. Though, I don't think it helps that Rowland still doesn't seem to be 100%. There were 3 goals scored against her in the last 2 games that were pretty week. Just take a shot low and to her right and it's going in. If it weren't for those 3 goals, NCC would have an additional 4 points (and Chicago 2 less and Utah 1 less) putting them in 1st place (and as is they're only 2 back). Of course it's not all on Rowland; Only 2 goals in the last three games, compared to 10 goals in the three games before that with the USWNTers. Maybe Williams should sit the next match and Eddy get the start... :barefoot:

blissett repped this.
  9. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #59 Smallchief, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Based on Holden's comments, I looked further into my statement that Short did a good job defending Ohai. According to my count of the stats, Ohai, in her 86 minutes on the field, only touched the ball 29 times. That's a paltry total of touches, indicating to me that Ohai was well guarded.

By contrast Ohai's counterpart on the right side of the field, Huerta, in her 90 minutes, touched the ball 48 times.

Of course, had Ohai converted one or more of those touches into a goal or an assist, we would be saying she had a good game. Such is soccer.

blissett repped this.
  10. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I didn't mean to imply that Short didn't do a good job and she wasn't well guarded, just you made it sound like she was invisible out there and I don't think she was.

Exactly. In the game she scored in she had 34 touches (compared to Prince's 42, Daly's 53, and Huerta's 55). That's not that much more and still less than her teammates. But because she scored, she had a good game.

(BTW, is there somewhere that lists the number of touches? The only thing I could find was the "Touch Map" so I had to count all the dots, which is a bit annoying)

11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The touch page is all that I've found. It's laborious, yes. But useful for seeing how active a player was and where they were. .

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So the weird thing is that Erceg (NCC) and Bowen (Utah) played in the game in Cary after having reported to New Zealand camp and playing against the United States.

The only time I can recall a World Cup player playing for their club after reporting to camp was on the men's side, and it was a third choice goalkeeper.

Mewis, Dahlkemper, and McDonald were also at the game, but had not been released by the USWNT to play.

Of course at this point, most World Cup players are playing not to get hurt. The friendlies before World Cups tend to get worse and worse because of this. For me the one exception will always be Wambach breaking her leg in the final friendly before the Beijing Olympics because she's Abby Wambach and only had one speed.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is weird. I wonder why the NZ girls played? I assume it's to keep sharp. I imagine they don't get as much work in as the USWNT players before the WWC.

blissett repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And frankly, players this close to a World Cup are generally in a "don't get injured mode". I don't think I'd have wanted the three U.S. players in uniform if they had been cleared to play. Players worried about getting hurt and missing the World Cup are not players playing to win.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa

Don't get me wrong, they are going up there to win, but Radio New Zealand keeps undermining them with scientific graphics.

blissett repped this.