PBP: 2019 NWSL Week 16 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Semblance17, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    31' 0-0 Hinkle crosses from wide left to 6m 1/3 left, Debinha backheads off right post low. Hamilton settles at 6-top 3-right, drag-behind left beats Kellond-Knight sliding down. Hamilton shoots left instep across mouth, Bledsoe dives and stonewalls it -- and falls on the zero-rebound. Save of the Week > Player of the Month :notworthy:
    1157753321970700290 is not a valid tweet id

35' 0-0 Washington subs in (1 of 3) #20 Cheyna Matthews for #6 Chloe Logarzo.

kolabear repped this.
  2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was the worst red card call of the season -- and maybe the most important, because it sinks Washington's chances to come out of this game with a point or three and get back into the top 4.

The soccer gods made up for the bad call somwhat when Zerboni was fouled in the box later and the ref didn't call the foul.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really am not a fan of make-up calls, regardless of who benefits. I want the refs to call games consistently.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64' 1-0 Hinkle cross, Spetsmark heads back across mouth, Debinha volleys in past Bledsoe.
    1157766619403341824 is not a valid tweet id

79' 1-0 Hatch snipes across mouth (but not wide enough), Labbé blocks across. Matthews collects, shoots into "empty" net, Labbé recovers and blocks that!

kolabear repped this.
  5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [#3.CHI-UTA.#7]
    Boyd for Naeher; K.Johnson for Davidson (and Wright => LB); Stanton for Ertz; Colaprico for Brian.

Vincent for Sauerbrunn; Weber for O'Hara; Stengel for Press.
    (Utah did not tweet a line-up this week :unsure:)

Chicago: OK (<= Q, starting) DiBernardo / Q (<= OUT, starting) Colaprico / OUT (=) Jahansouz Mautz Vasconcelos / INTL (USA) Brian Davidson Ertz Naeher
    Utah: OK (<= OUT, both subs :thumbsup:) Nolf Strom-Okimoto / Q none / OUT (=) Laddish Moros / SEI (=) Lytle Ratcliffe / INTL (USA) Sauerbrunn O’Hara Press

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 Gilmoy, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    05' 1-0 K.Johnson passes to Short coming up through 30m wide right. Short cuts inside at 22m wide right and spins Weber around, goes to 22m mid-right. Kerr lurks at 11m 1/4 left on Vincent's right shoulder, sees Short's foot come forward, back-cuts Vincent to 6m as Short's cross inswings over Vincent's head. Kerr heads across mouth, Barnhart dives and blocks ball down to 3m right post. Kerr follows, hops and half-volleys down under Barnhart's left hand, just inside right post low.

HT 1-0.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    85' 2-0 Wright threads a pass up left touch to Kerr motionless (for once) at 35m. Kerr watches McCaskill and Elby attack the two seams of Utah's 3-back, passes diagonally behind Vincent through box top left, perfectly into McCaskill's stride to 4m mid-left. Elby pulls up at 9m 1/5 left, McCaskill shoots right instep across mouth, Barnhart dives and blocks ball down with left hand. Ball bounces out to 5m left post, Elby darts in and toe-pokes off Barnhart's left knee, across mouth just inside right post low.

FT 2-0.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 kolabear, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    I finally got a chance to look at it on the highlights. I have to disagree. I think it's likely the referee, Gustavo Solorio (according to the PRO assignment webpage), got it right.

It's admittedly unclear from the camera angle even on replay, but, first of all, we have to recognize when the referee has a much better view of the play. Second, while I'm a critic of the overuse of slo-mo and still shots, carefully used they can be helpful.

Since it's hard or impossible to see contact from the camera angle, I think most people assume the foul was called for #14 Nielsen reaching out with her hand, which does seem extremely minimal contact indeed. The question is whether she trips Debinha and, again, it's extremely hard to make out because of the camera angle and the presence of another defender (Tori Huster I think) who blocks our view of the moment of the trip - if there is one.

WHAT IS CLEAR from the freeze-frames is that Nielsen's right foot is stuck out in a position where, in the tangle of legs from the camera angle, it sure seems possible, likely even, that it's in a position where her foot or leg trips Debinha going by. Also FAIRLY CLEAR is Debinha's right leg winds up in an unnatural position, seemingly off-angle with the foot kicked up behind her unnaturally high.
    NWSL NC vs Wash Red Card 2019 August freeze A2.jpg NWSL NC vs Wash Red Card 2019 August freeze A3.jpg NWSL NC vs Wash Red Card 2019 August freeze A5.jpg

Again, I don't want to abuse the use of freeze frames. I can't see the contact. So I can't definitively say there's a foul. But I'm not the one, from this camera angle, who's responsible for making the call. What we can tell is a) the defender, Nielsen, has stuck her foot out where the chance of a trip seems high and b) our view of a trip (if there was one) is obscured by the other defender.

Again, we can't say there's definitely a foul, but I think we can (pretty) definitely say there's a good likelihood of a foul AND the referee is in a better position to see it than we are. Instead of slamming the referee, I think we have to consider it likely he made a good call.

And it appears to be last defender and the pass is right at Debinha's feet = DOGSO/ red card.

The video highlights on NWSL's website is here: http://www.nwslsoccer.com/videos/72B25B70-E826-A24F-93A3-5B1CF19B6A9E

AndyMead repped this.