2019 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 16, 2019.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    CONCACAF Champions League 2nd legs start tonight. Tuesday, Feb 26.

Houston Dynamo (USA) v. CD Guastatoya (GUA) 6:00 pm Yahoo/UDN (first leg 1-0 Houston)

Toronto FC (CAN) v. Club Atletico Independiente (PAN) 6:00 pm Yahoo/UDN (4-0 Independiente)

Tigres UANL (MEX) v. Deportivo Saprissa (CRC) 8 pm Yahoo/UDN (1-0, Saprissa)

The pick of the lot is the Tigres - Saprissa in my opinion.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pleasant surprise, I bet. It was for me the first time I went. I've been to Toyota Stadium a few times while visiting family in SA. Fun stadium. Nothing fancy but nice and compact and not a bad seat in the house. The Crocketteers get after it. They are a boisterous and lively group. Since the Spurs group bought them, re-branded, and treat them like a true professional club the support has skyrocketed. I've been told they also have a well respected youth academy, too. I need to visit more of these USL venues. Several clubs have new stadiums in the works including the Switchbacks. The support in the USL is really starting to take off.

jayd8888, Rod1916 and Stuart95 repped this.
  3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really was a neat little stadium ... nothing fancy but nicer than the Switchback's current one. The crowd was what made it fun tough. I'll have to catch a regular season match.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This what I hate about international soccer.

6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD and Dom. FC repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find Conrad's comments a bit idiotic. He says MLS needs to be able to hold its own against the European and South American champions in the Club World Cup, a standard that literally no other league in the world outside those two continents has ever reached. But he says the reason the U.S. can't do that is the salary cap. No, maybe its because those are literally the two best teams in the world?

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    A good read and probably fair analysis -- clearly projects the conundrum of wanting to be World Cla$$ but being hamstrung by the salary cap that has kept the league from financial peril and enforced parity. The 'middle way' may be to keep raising the cap as the league continues to grow and for the short and middle term being able to reach the level of 2nd tier European squads (outside the big 5) and to become the dominant league in North America (see above re. salary cap) are probably reachable goals.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham Inter Somewhere Near Miami Someday FC announced that the franchise is going to tear down Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, build a temporary new stadium on the site, and play home games there in 2020 and 2021. Supposedly, the site will become their training facility and USL affiliate site.*
    • The Miami Toros became the original NASL Fort Lauderdale Strikers, and played at Lockhart.
    • The Miami (Con)Fusion played at Lockhart. The Rapids never beat the Fusion at Lockhart (0-5). That's one of the few stadiums where the Rapids played several matches and never won.
    • Miami FC became the NASL sequel Fort Lauderdale Strikers, and also played at Lockhart.
    • Lockhart is where the USMNT finally beat Mexico for the first time since before WW II.
    *Given the history of "Miami" teams playing permanently at Lockhart . . .

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  12. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else watching the US Men vs Ecuador? Just turned it on in 8'

13. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda glad Bradley isn't planning. Time to move on from him.

14. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I watched. Thought they looked good. 63% possession 88% pass accuracy. They need to take their chances though bit too much passing in attacking third. Particularly impressed with Adams.

15. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also impressed with Adams. There haven't been many players in USMNT history that had the tactical understanding to play a hybrid role like he did. Still not sure he'd hold up against top opposition.

We were clearly the better team last night but only had 1 fluky goal to show for it. Don't think Morris or Arriola are good enough finishers and Morris can't handle a role with any defensive responsibilities.

Bradley added nothing when he came in. Thought Trapp was a bit better.

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumors are heavily swirling that Chicago Fire are going to re-brand and move to the city, somehow. Can't find details but the Twitter conversation has a real "this is happening" vibe.

It'd be a shame to have to re-brand, but on the other hand if you could somehow guarantee it would work out as well as it did for Kansas City...

I've been to the stadium in Bridgview-- it's even further from downtown than The Dick, and harder to get to.

But I can't imagine building a new facility close to The Loop is a simple task.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a ton of Brownfield development available, just need the city/ state to fork over some cash "help" ;)

I have some interest in the Goose Island redevelopment which I hope will be spectacular and some plans include a soccer stadium.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    22SteveD, Stuart95 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado woman reffing US vs Australia tonight - Karen Abt is a FIFA referee based here in Denver - I've worked with her before - very very good ref.

Hope I didn't jinx her for the evening.

SccrDon, kucsdat, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow: SporKS @ Monterrey.

fortcollins repped this.
  21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That was ugly. At least the women's game provided some solace.

Totoro and COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked a great atmosphere for the USWNT vs Australia. Anyone know where it was held? I didn't recognize the stadium on TV.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Had tickets to the WNT last night, but sold them as the family is sick. Wold have loved to have watched in person.

Watching on TV, I was left with the impression that it's unlikely the WNT is going to bring home another WC trophy. The defending was bad and I'm not sure about the keeper either.

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rayados made the SporKS look like the Rapids.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States