2019 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Centennial repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Austin's McKalla Place, where goop goes boom in the night.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    TheWarmBurger repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FtCollins repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
  6. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    I have a really clear memory of NYC doing something similar with RB gear but can't seem to find any articles about it.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    MrPerfectNot, SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.switchbacksfc.com/news_article/show/1050742

Switchbacks name former FC Cincy man, Alan Koch, as their new manager. Honestly, a big scoop for the Switchbacks. I kinda felt like Koch got the short end of the stick at FC Cincy. I thought he was the scapegoat for poor planning / mismanagement by Concy FO in their move from USL Championship to MLS. Not saying Koch didn't have some fault, I just think he was given a no-win situation and FCC then pinned it on him. Nonetheless, I think Koch instantly increases the credibility of the Switchbacks. Koch is a known and successful commodity In the USL Championship. With his appointment, I anticipate a much better, much more stable environment for the Rapids loanees.

SccrDon and Stuart95 repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember him playing extremely defensively (3 DM's) even while claiming he was not. Thought he also did an AH at end and threw Players/ org under the bus.

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Strangely, I'm looking forward to the MLS play-offs, although I hate almost everyone who is in it. I like the week off to build anticipation. Jury is out on the 1 games series.

It's a shame that once again MLS play-offs are in the "not Rapids related stuff" again.

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I think the week off is for the international break. Looking at the schedule, some of the first round matches will take place mid-week, The winners then have a quick turnaround for the second round. The teams with byes, LAFC and NYCFC don't play until the 23rd and 24th. That's a nice break, but I wonder how rusty they'll be?

With the single game format, it will be interesting to see how the away team approaches the match. Will they be really conservative and hope to go to PKs?

13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Rapids fans in general may be pretty well versed in how playing not to lose usually works out.

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The week off is for the international break, but it works OK. I did not know some games were mid-week; that would be a bummer. I'd think away teams will just play and not go for PK's because other than Seattle most MLS teams can't defend anyway.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #315 COMtnGuy, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Pretty cool seeing a team getting their 2nd SSS going.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...c-downtown-groundbreaking-ceremony-watch-live

Probably too much to ask for but I have hope Rapids will do similar.

Have to laugh with NYCFC farce of a field, Funny all the money Yankees and MCFC have and they have zip to show for it.

Guess I should add the Fire have officially announced they will play in Soldier field in 2020, so that's another SSS down the tubes (rumor is USL might put a team there).

22SteveD, AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know what to think about Columbus crew getting a new SSS stadium. I'd like to think stadiums last more than 25 years, but I've never been Columbus, not to mention the stadium.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Growing up in Northern KY (Cincy subs) it was a quick 120 mile trip to Columbus. I have been to more games in Crew Stadium than I can remember. I was at the very first game at Crew Stadium. There is a lot of sentimental value attached to Crew Stadium -- from being the first SSS to the Mexico games. It will always have a place in the hearts of many American fans. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say it's a Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, Soldier Field, etc. of American Soccer but it's a place littered with history. I hate to see it go. With that said, the stadium has sat on the crumbling eye sore that is the Fairgrounds for many years. It's just north of downtown, not in a great area, and really just away from any growth and development. As for the stadium itself..... even with all the glitz and glamour of being the first SSS, it was never a luxurious stadium. It was built cheaply and has a cheap feel. It honestly always felt like a big hunk of metal. Renovations tried to improve it but it could never shed it's metal look. I hate losing Crew Stadium sentimentally but new stadium in downtown Columbus will he a huge boost.

SccrDon, COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Team USA looks just like they did missing out last WC. I can’t figure out who to blame more, coaching, lack of effort, lack of basic soccer skills, a general softness...

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the above. We are no longer in a “transition period”. We are officially in a “we suck period”. I didn’t think it was possible to regress further after missing out on the WC. I stand corrected, we are awful and I don’t know where to start to fix this thing. Maybe we start with canning Berhalter.

20. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    LOL. True, but very funny.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think we are witnessing the Anthony Hudson of international football in Berhalter. It’s that bad and I’m afraid it could get worse.

22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Wish I could watch the Rapids and Directv had dropped the channel(s) that show the Nats -- or I would trade all of that and some TAM (its imaginary money isn't it?) to get beIN Sports back.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game last night was on ESPN.