2019 Nike Friendlies

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...dlies-set-for-nov-14-18-in-lakewood-ranch-fla

TxEx, don Lamb, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  2. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Those rosters go a looong way to helping me forget about Brazil.

Whereas the depth on that roster was weak, it turns out we have at least another squad of players who could have performed better.

There is a lot of talent in this U17 class. Compared to other U17 cycles, it seems much deeper, yet the group at the World Cup seemed much less like a well functioning team than others. Is that the Bradenton effect, or is it much more complicated than that?

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I would describe the '02s as having more depth than most of the previous U17 teams, as evidenced by all the "names" on the Nike Friendlies roster, but top end talent is lacking. In any case, it will be interesting to see who among this team and the WC team will make it to the 2021 U20 pool.

We can speculate for a while about the cause of our poor performance at the WC. Was it poor player selection (read: some of the Nike Friendlies 02s should have been selected instead), was it poor coaching, was it not enough time to gel, was it some combination of the above?

STANDFAST, bballshawn and don Lamb repped this.
  4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    #4 don Lamb, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    I was also including the 03s in with this U17 "class," so that makes it significantly deeper.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who is within shouting distance of this area, I encourage you to attend. I went last year (my parents live down there and I was preparing to go on a cruise with them and other family members). I went with a cousin on 1 of the days and had an absolutely FANTASTIC time. Games going on all over the place, youth stars of tomorrow (there was this Portuguese kid last year who annihilated the Brazilian team as I was watching) and just a generally great atmosphere. I even had a chance to greet Cory Gibbs, who was down there scouting. Seriously, check it out if you can make it.

6. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Last year it was in conjunction with the DA showcase. This year it is not, the DA showcase and DA cup is in another month. It might not be as festive down there.

onefineesq repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The '02 roster is a joke. It's a recycling of names who came close to making the U-17 WC team, but weren't picked. Most of those players aren't any good. A few belong (Ramsey, Wilson, Arce, Alejandre), but most are no better than players who played at the U-17 WC. It's not a great age group, but the scouting of this age group has been abysmal, IMO.

The '03 roster is pretty good. It's only missing a few names. I'm assuming Chifamba isn't eligible (and not close to it), so I'll give them a pass there. I don't know where Garcia and Roou are, but aside from that, it's much better selected than the '02 roster. I see Sealy is still there based on reputation. He needs to be filtered out.

The main gripe I have with this roster is the keepers. '03 is weak in net and Jones is injured, but this is punting the age group at keeper, instead of giving some the chance to emerge. There has to be a few quality keepers in the age group. Slonina looks to be getting the early star treatment, despite not deserving it, IMO The kid is a quality enough prospect for his own age group, but I think he'll get exposed playing up a year. I wouldn't even say he's the best keeper in his own age group. I believe the LAG II coach is guest-coaching this team. Did he have any influence in selecting the LAG keeper? I don't believe I've once seen anyone praise him as being a quality prospect.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone want to give me a brief overview of Noah Hall and Sam Sarver from the Crew.

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Any take on Ruben Hernandez at Xolos, who was not included on the Nike Friendlies roster?

1193190762852302848 is not a valid tweet id

Gacm32, xbhaskarx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not? Damn. Yeah, so it won't be the same. Thanks for clarifying that for me and everyone else.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing from me. I’ve never seen him play, but he’s one of many they could’ve included here instead of some of these players.

Gacm32, Luksarus, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sam Sarver: Blazing winger. Might be the fastest player in the DA. He can be used as as a striker, but he’s not a striker because he doesn’t have the size or hold up game for the position. Very efficient in final third. He’s not creative or flashy, but he makes smart plays in goal scoring positions. He knows where his runners are going to run to, he knows when defenders are going to dive in, and he makes quick decisions. Top 10 player in this very talented age group, IMO.

Noah Hall: Understated RB. Does a lot well on both sides of the ball. Incredibly smart defensive player who has above average athleticism. He’s very good defensively. He’s capable of shutting down good wingers. Going forward, he’s not a big skill guy, but he’s better than you’d initially think. Since he’s a very smart player, he has success with deception, athleticism and average passing and ball control.

This is exactly the kind of player I think the system fails right now. He’s probably a little too far off Columbus HG signing list (considering they haven’t even signed Chifamba or Sarver yet), not quite good enough to generate significant European interest, and college soccer will hurt his development playing multiple years. He’s probably a 20th-40th caliber player in the country. Good player, but I’d worry he falls by the wayside.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

14. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Great to see Solar putting three kids on the U17 roster in Josh, Bailey and JT. Doing great things as a club in NTX.

15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    How do you rate Sparks? He absolutely took over both the semifinal and final of the U17 DA championship.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    U-17 lineup I'd send out for tomorrow

Wilson
    Hankins-Ramsey-Lopez-Tolkin
    Alejandre-Soares
    Fuentes
    Arce-Jones-Imperato

U-16 lineup I'd send out for tomorrow

Slonina
    Cuevas-Huckaby-Walls-Gomez
    Casas-McGlynn
    Nyeman
    Paredes-Freeman-Sarver

Tom Collingsworth, kinznk and don Lamb repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Would that U-17 beat U-16 team?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Likely not, but one off games are impossible to predict.

butters59 repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thursday, Nov. 14

Netherlands vs. U-16 BNT, 3:30 p.m. ET

Turkey vs. U-17 MNT, 6:30 p.m. ET

That would be men against boys!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Why does the US have two teams in this tournament? Is that always the case? Seems odd that we have a non WC U-17 team facing off with a younger 2003 aged netherlands and Turkey? Is there some reason for that?

I mean I am all for any high quality international competition these kids can get, especially from teams outside CONCACAF.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    They couldn't get another international team for the Friendlies. Plus after the performance in WC it is an easy way to immediately start evaluating other U-17 players in the pool and bring in new players to the pool. Saw entitled WC performances by some of the kids that have been entrenched on the team for years. Maybe the "regulars" need to figure out they don't own those spots indefinitely.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any links for the games today?

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    US Soccer's facebook and youtube accounts.

24. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta