2019 MLS Week 22 Referee Thread

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Aug 1, 2019.

1. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    08/03/19
    Atlanta United vs LA Galaxy
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Philippe Briere
    4TH: Kevin Broadley
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

New York Red Bulls vs Toronto FC
    Red Bull Arena (6PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Greg Dopka
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Thomas Supple

New England Revolution vs Los Angeles FC
    Gillette Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Elvis Osmanovic
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Claudiu Badea

Orlando City vs FC Dallas
    Exploria Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Silviu Petrescu
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Eric Boria
    4TH: Robert Sibiga
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Kevin Klinger

FC Cincinnati vs Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nippert Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Rosendo Mendoza
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Alan Kelly
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Colorado Rapids vs Montreal Impact
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (9PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Kyle Longville
    4TH: Allen Chapman
    VAR: Dave Gantar
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Houston Dynamo vs Chicago Fire
    BBVA Stadium (9PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Peter Balciunas

Real Salt Lake vs New York City FC
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Michael Kampmeinert
    4TH: David Barrie
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

San Jose Earthquakes vs Columbus Crew
    Avaya Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Eduardo Mariscal
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Elton Garcia
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Apolinar Mariscal

08/04/19

Minnesota United vs Portland Timbers
    Allianz Field (4PM ET)
    REF: Christopher Penso
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Ted Unkel
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Eric Weisbrod

D.C. United vs Philadelphia Union
    Audi Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Robert Sibiga
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Steve Taylor

Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
    CenturyLink Field (10PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Rene Parra

2. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I know I said previously I didn't like Drew Fischer, but I'll eat crow and say I think he did pretty well with the Timbers-Sounders game. But overall, I'm realizing I think PRO must like him. Get's the All-Star game, and now the ATL-LAG game. That's quite a few high profile games in a short period.

3. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Congratulations to Rosendo on his first assigned MLS center

gaolin repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So the All-Star game happened last night and I saw the highlights and it looks like the Reserve AR walked out with the crew last night.

Have to say that's pretty silly. I get MLS and PRO want to make the All-Star game more prestigious than it is. It's just a glorified summer pre-season game, but Reserve ARs don't walk out with the crew. There barely part of the crew. At the World Cup, where it is most common, they just sit in a track-suit in the technical area.

Also, it looks like some of the MLS players were wearing earpieces last night. Anyone know what that is about. Surely that violates the Laws of the Game? Not that it matters...

5. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    That reserve AR went into that game in the second half so I wouldn’t say he wasn’t part of the crew. It’s also an incredible honor being selected, one all 7 officials should be recognized for.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  7. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Sorry I know I commented early but I read your post and got mad all over again. I don’t imagine you are an MLS official or that you worked over 20 years of your life to ref that “glorified pre-season” game. When you get there, you are welcome to take a stand and pretend that it didn’t mean anything but I promise you it does

JasonMa repped this.
  8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just because you put the name of the game on the referee jersey doesn't make it important.

I'm sure the officials would rather be chosen for the game than not, but I guarantee you there isn't an official out there setting goals for themselves saying "boy, I really hope I get to officiate the MLS All-Star game this year."

Ask any of the officials and you give them a choice and say "you can either referee the MLS All-Star game or an MLS playoff game, but not both. Pick one." I guarantee you every single one would take the playoff game or at least I hope they would.

No official goes into the World Cup hoping and excited to refereeing the Third Place game.

I read Howard Webb's book and he talked about the being in the room for the announcement of the assignment for the Third Place game and the World Cup Final. He said it was such a relief when his name wasn't called for the Third Place game and he saw the look of disappointment from Archundia (who was assigned to the Third Place game).

Also, I heard that privately Archundia and the Mexican Federation were privately furious with FIFA as Archundia was kept away from any knockout game only to referee the Third Place game.

No NBA official has their eyes set on officiating the NBA All-Star game. No NFL official hopes to referee the Pro Bowl, except maybe when they used to have it in Hawaii (which means you won't referee the Super Bowl).

Anyways, regardless of how I feel about the prestige and the importance of the assignment, let's say for arguments sake that it is a prestigious and important assignment. You still don't see the Reserve AR walk out with the crew on the World Cup Final or Champions League Final or MLS Cup Final (maybe that will change this year). That's my whole point in my comment originally.

It goes against all tradition and practicality. In most European leagues and the Championship League, the 4th official doesn't walk out with the crew, so why should the Reserve AR? It's like giving everyone a participation trophy.

Lastly, if it is so important you wouldn't just put the Reserve AR arbitrarily in the second half just because. I'm assuming whoever he replaced in the second half was planned and not due to an actual injury. If he was actually hurt than I'm sorry.

Yeah, such a prestigious assignment that you get taken out in the second half just because. Why stop there? Put in the 4th in the second half.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can say that the All-Star Game, for all its weirdness, has always been an indicator of which referees are well-regarded. The list of referees who have been on the game is a real who's who.

While I would personally prefer a playoff game if I absolutely had to choose, I can't ignore the exclusive company who have worked the ASG, and I'm betting it would feel pretty damn good to see one's name on that list.

Sure, the game itself is meaningless, but it's intended as a showcase. Why not showcase the referees, too?

Ismitje and Mirepo repped this.
  10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think in the first 10-15 years of MLS, where there were so few nationally televised games and so few games in packed/sold out stadiums that the assignment was absolutely prestigious. Other than the MLS Cup Final, I think the All-Star game might have been the only other game that was on national TV/free over the air TV like ABC.

From a league coverage standpoint, the All-Star was maybe the second most important game on the MLS calender so I get why MLS would want their best referees on that game and why referees would want that assignment.

Now there are at least one or two games on national TV almost every week in MLS and in front of huge crowds and stadiums.

11. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I grant that a ref would rather have a play off game than the all star game. That's true. I don't care about the dynamic of a third place game, but I'd also take the comments of a guy who literally got to do the final with a huge grain of salt when he says he was relieved he didn't get to do the 3rd place game. Also, I don't care if the reserve AR walks out with the crew or not.

But for MLS officials, its pretty cool to do the all star game. Most years, all the PRO officials are in town for it. They stay together, have training together, eat together. Then a few of them get to go officiate the game that the rest of them are all watching. As in physically in the stadium watching. Some years, there are more officials at the All Star game than any other time. Granted not every ref wants to work a game in front of his peers, just as there are many refs who might rather sit and not do any game than do a third place game. But there is a certain psyche to most referees that wants the game, wants to be the one working in front of all of the other officials. Its pretty cool.

Plus they get cool swag.
    Plus there is obviously a collection of "the best players" in the league, and its super cool to be an official selected to be "one of the best officials" in the league. They players remember that, and when you see them later in the year, you were the guy who did the All star Game. Its not worth much, but it is worth something.
    But the real point is its cool to be the officials that are selected from the group that everyone else gets to go watch. I mean, its a rodeo, but its a fun rodeo.

fischietto, Mirepo and seattlebeach repped this.
  12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only speak for myself, but as a fan of the sport I’d be pretty excited to officiate a game with a well-known European team like Athletico Madrid. I’d want to do well to show that US/Canadian officials should be looked at more for big FIFA matches. I get it’s a glorified friendly, but I’m sure a big missed call related to an injury of a big name wouldn’t go over well in FIFA’s eyes.

13. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    One’s goals are different than one’s honors so your argument makes no sense. Also the replacement was not contrived or planned but please continue to educate me on things you know nothing about

ManiacalClown repped this.
  14. Mirepo

Mirepo Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Your other points aside, it always seemed like a wasted opportunity and waste of manpower to have the Reserve AR sit there and do nothing. I could think of some heated games with big personalities on the sideline that could've benefited from having the "Fifth Official" help out with managing the benches and such. In the world of VAR, there's less need for them to help out with misconduct, but I believe my point still stands.

ManiacalClown repped this.
  15. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    I don't know about you all but I watch USL more than MLS (but I watch both ...) and I've been seeing a lot of good things from Kevin Broadley. He's been doing really well in the USL.

16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I clearly said in my post "if he genuinely got hurt than I'm sorry."

So did he get hurt or sick? What was the reason for the change? I didn't watch the game so, you're right I don't know anything about the game. Tell me since you know more than me.

Besides, you're the one that moved the goal posts anyways. My main point was always how silly, redundant and unnecessary it was for the Reserve AR to walk out with the crew. The importance of All-Star and the prestige of the assignment was secondary.

I don't think my opinion about its importance is totally unreasonable and outlandish. Just because a league and organization says something is prestigious doesn't make it so.

You want to put it on some grand pedestal go for it. I won't think you're horribly in the wrong. I think you're wrong, but it's not some crazy opinion.

I would have said the same thing (about the Reserve AR walking out) whether it was the World Cup Final, MLS Cup Final, Champions League Final or MLS-Allstar game.

Again, tell me why the RAR should walk out with the crew? Why not also bring out the AVAR and the VAR as well (we all know why because it might take them 15 minutes to get back up to the press box).

17. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019

Just cause we're discussing the "importance" of the all star game. The fans don't seem to think it's important.

RedStar91 repped this.
  18. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I hope Penso had a better angle of that handling than what ESPN showed us

TLR2 and rh89 repped this.
  19. TLR2

TLR2 Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Especially given how demonstrative Penso was at first. Not one of those angles showed helped the case that he was wrong initially. And, for what it’s worth MNUFC coach after the match seemed to think they got a gift.

Minnesota coach Adrian Heath called the PK dubious: “I thought we got a dubious penalty in the last minute... I feel for them a little bit because I know if we’d had been on the receiving end of the penalty, it would’ve been probably a little bit disappointing.

20. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I don't want to get political here so mods delete this if it's crossing that line...

When a player expresses a political belief on a shirt, or parades around with a certain flag or what have you, referees are supposed to do something about it. Bedoya took a new route and used one of the on field microphones to make a political statement. Video here.

https://streamable.com/7at6w

The head of the MLSPA made a statement on this matter. I'm wondering if PRO has an opinion about this, or maybe the league?

21. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Anyone know how on Earth Petrescu decided not to award a penalty kick to FC Dallas for handling after going to the monitor? It looks like he somehow decided to go with foul coming out.

Most obvious handball I've seen in a long time.

22. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The player who committed the handling offence had his jersey pulled pretty significantly to put him off-balance as he jumped.

So essentially Petrescu agreed with the recommendation that there was a penalty to award, but that there was a (pretty consequential) attacking foul in the APP to negate the penalty.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * Aggressive, straight-legged, sliding with studs up foul from Mattarita on Seba Saucedo in stoppage time on Saturday at Rio Tinto = yellow?

* Stomp on Espinoza's ankle by the Crew's David Accam in minute 75, nowhere near the ball and with what looks like intent or perhaps just laziness = yellow?

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see this one. Do you have the clip handy?

If PRO speaks on this one, I think they'll say it's a clear red. I've heard rumblings that they view this as a missed red card--both on-field and via VAR.

25. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I've had to watch it 10 times to see the shirt pulling. I don't agree with it being pretty consequential, but we all know there are now pretty different standards for a foul coming out and a foul for a penalty kick in the VAR world.

He was going already to handle the ball anyways and it's not like the shirt pull put him off balance, but I digress.

That would never be given as a penalty kick if he did that on the attacker. We've seen far worse acts by defenders not punished and supported by PRO to not award a penalty kick.

If you're going to micro analyze every decision like that, then you couldn't make the argument that the Orlando defender fouled the Dallas attacker first with the "two-hand" push on the back of the Dallas forward? Again, completely trifling and inconsequential for me, but so is the shirt pull.

Classic example of re-refereeing the game here.