2019 MLS Week 21 Referee Thread

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Ismitje, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I can see a kick from blue boots, I guess that's what justifies the call. He does tuck his legs back like he's drawing them away from fire.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It's the second time the defender clips his foot that he goes down. Maybe he goes down a bit easy (I'm not sure about his balance there--a pulled foot can sometimes cause significant balance issues)--certainly nothing that could be reversed by VAR.

LampLighter repped this.
  4. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    07/26/19
    New York City FC vs Sporting Kansas City
    Yankee Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Dave Gantar
    AR1: Philippe Briere
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Los Angeles FC vs Atlanta United
    Banc of California Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Kyle Atkins
    4TH: Sergii Demianchuk
    VAR: Tim Ford
    AVAR: Cameron Blanchard

07/27/19

New England Revolution vs Orlando City
    Gillette Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Robert Sibiga
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Thomas Supple

New York Red Bulls vs Columbus Crew
    Red Bull Arena (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Fotis Bazakos
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Michael Radchuk
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Chicago Fire vs D.C. United
    SeatGeek Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: Apolinar Mariscal
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Kevin Klinger

FC Dallas vs Real Salt Lake
    Toyota Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Kevin Broadley
    VAR: Drew Fischer
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Houston Dynamo vs Seattle Sounders
    BBVA Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Matt Franz
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Minnesota United vs Vancouver Whitecaps
    Allianz Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Lukasz Szpala
    VAR: Malik Badawi
    AVAR: Peter Balciunas

Montreal Impact vs Philadelphia Union
    Saputo Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Luis Guardia
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Gianni Facchini

Toronto FC vs FC Cincinnati
    BMO Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Eric Boria
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: David Barrie
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

San Jose Earthquakes vs Colorado Rapids
    Avaya Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Baldomero Toledo
    AR1: Felisha Mariscal
    AR2: Micheal Barwegen
    4TH: Joe Dickerson
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Michael Kampmeinert

Portland Timbers vs LA Galaxy
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Tim Ford
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Chris Elliott

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, I was just about to copy and paste the list of assignments myself, but you beat me to it.

Instead, I'll mention that RSL coach Mike Petke has been suspended by MLS ahead of tonight's match at Dallas due to his actions following the RSL-Tigres Leagues Cup match Wednesday night. It does not take much of a logical leap to guess that he's probably in serious trouble if they had to suspend him and no one's offering any further comments until after the incident is fully investigated.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    It’s about time they stepped on Petke. With his printers and his tirades he’s been a thorn for awhile.

Like to hear specifically what he said.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls were fouled in their defensive half at which time they were given a PK when VAR reviewed what happened before that. The fouled Danny Royer headed the ball, but he was pulled to make him change direction. IMO that's worthy of a PK.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Crew fan, I knew we were screwed as soon as I saw the replay. Good use of VAR.

Saw a red card for Alvarez of LAG for striking the ball at a fallen opponent in Portland. The whistle hadn’t blown yet, but the foul was coming and the intent was pretty clear to me. Chapman got that one right IMHO.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he did, too. I think it would never be recommended for review if he hadn't given it, but I think he read the situation very well and did what was needed to manage the game.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right.

This is a situation where the call is 100% about judgement. There’s no facts to interpret or check in terms of contact or location. It’s about the intent of the player. And the referee standing there will always have a better read on that than the guy watching on a monitor.

11. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Would've been good to see Zlatan get a second dissent caution just for his general douchebaggery.

rh89 repped this.
  12. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I love how 2x (once per half) Chapman tries to have Dos Santos intervene and calm Zlatan down. I hope we've all tried that before, enlisting the captain/teammate. Just funny to see it at such a high level.

13. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    The red struck me as harsh at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I think it's 100% a great call by Chapman and the result of his high level of experience. It's 3-0 in the 84'. Alvarez is kicking the ball backwards with force. Why would he be kicking the ball backwards like that if not frustration or some level of intent to hit an opponent? And if the red isn't shown immediately, that mass confrontation spirals. It's game management, but it's also the right call on the individual action.

I was once instructed to mentally prepare myself in high level games for the stupid red card in the last 10 minutes of the game. When you see a player make the ridiculously late tackle, push, whatever, to identify it and send the player. I was warned that if you don't, the game can completely get out of hand. I haven't had the chance to do those high level games, but Chapman has, knew exactly what to identify, and did exactly what needed to be done.

superdave repped this.
  14. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    There is no debate. It's a clear red card and a dirty play and good for Chapman for giving it.

It says something about the state of professional refereeing where we are praising what should be a standard and expected red card.

The only reason the commentators on TV, some of the posters on here and maybe some of the players on the pitch think it's a harsh call is because we saw it at the World Cup in Russia where the same Argentine player did the exact se thing twice and somehow ended up with only a yellow in both games.

We saw the same play in the Gold Cup Final where Pulisic got the ball smashed at him while on the ground and, incredibly, not even a yellow was shown.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought missing it live should be held against the CR. I was watching with a fan’s eyes, not a ref’s eyes, and i caught it. To me, that’s a bad, bad miss. Shouldn’t have needed VAR.

16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, the assessments take that into account. A referee who misses what is deemed an "expected" call will lose more points than they can regain from correctly changing the call after review. Whereas the points lost for missing a "difficult" call will wash when the referee corrects the error after review. I'm sure it's more complicated than that overall, but you get the idea.

And while they work as a team, I do know that individual members of the crew are assessed separately, and it is entirely possible for some to pass while others fail. It makes sense. As far as job performance goes, for example, a referee who calls a spotless match shouldn't fail because an AR blew a critical offside decision in second half added time (a purely hypothetical example—any resemblance to an actual game scenario is purely coincidental).

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it should 100% be a red card. I also agree that the situations at WC18 and with Pulisic in the Gold Cup weren't handled correctly (or, in the Gold Cup situation, not handled at all).

I would only quibble with your "the only reason..." phrasing. Because I think a lot of well-meaning but less sophisticated referees would believe this can't be a red card because the whistle hadn't blown yet and he was just kicking the ball, which he's allowed to do during dynamic play. In other words, the fact that this wasn't clearly done at a dead-ball stoppage would be the technical reason why some would feel their hands are tired.

That's why this is a perfect high-level situation that can be used as an example to show lower-level referees that their hands are not tied and they are obligated to punish this appropriately. Not only was it pretty clear that play was about to be stopped for the foul, but the player in question is blasting the ball toward his own goal for no reason except to hit his opponent. The technicality of the whistle cannot excuse the nature of the act.

rh89 repped this.
  18. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    Sad when he has to get another player to calm the "captain" down multiple times before finally pull the yellow. Especially when the other player doesn't do anything and the "captain" continues to shout in his face. It's almost as if certain levels of players have different expectations when it comes to discipline. Maybe the league will send Zlatan another official warning?

19. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Wait....the whistle wasn't blown when he kicked the ball at him? So, technically, the ball was still in play. I watched the video on mute so I didn't hear the whistle.

If so, even more impressive by Chapman. It also highlights just how poorly handled the incidents in the World Cup and Gold Cup were. The whistle was clearly blown in all three of those incidents and play was. The ball was kicked at most a two seconds after the whistle, but the whistle was blown in all three incidents and the officials and vAR just failed to act.

Brings back to a similar play I've had in my games over the years.

Every now and then on an amateur match or low level college game with no ball people or limited balls, a player will be chasing the ball out of bounds and he, either, blasts it into the parking lot/other fields as the ball is right on or just slightly over the touchline. Technically, the ball is still in play, but we all know what he was doing.

The other players get frustrated and upset especially if it is late in the game as it's going to take a minute or two to get another ball.

I've verbally asked my AR, immediately, after the play was over whether the ball was out of bounds prior to him kicking it over the fence.

If he tells me it was still in play, I just verbally admonish the player as I can't technically caution him for delaying the restart.

Messi did something similar in game years ago (9:30) in the video and I still don't know if the referee was right to caution him there according to the laws.

What we can we do in situations like this?

rh89 repped this.
  20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Do we know this for sure? It wouldn't be the first time a sound track was slightly out of sync with the video to suggest something that wasn't so.
    "Don't worry gentlemen, we'll add on the time."

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought he had already whistled for the foul, but he hadn't. If you watch closely, the whistle is going to the mouth as the kick occurs.

I would think/hope Messi got cautioned for game disrepute and the potential danger to spectators, as opposed to delaying the restart... particularly given the ball immediately rebounded back in play. If no one got hit with the ball, I would just say he's lucky he didn't see red for VC.

To your point about this move as an actual delaying tactic at the amateur level, I agree with you. If the ball is out, it's an easy yellow. If it's not, I think it's really hard to say you're delaying the restart when there isn't going to be a restart until the ball is blasted into touch. I think the verbal admonishment is useful if done properly, but more important is how you communicate to the opposing team. Something along the lines of "guys, I can't book him because he is allowed to kick the ball as far as he wants, but I am going to add 30 seconds for that and I'll add a minute the next time it happens" should suffice.

ManiacalClown repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sound track is irrelevant. Watch the video. He is winding up to blast the ball before Chapman makes any movement with his arm to bring the whistle up. The ball is already rebounding off the prone player as the whistle comes to the mouth.

rh89 and socal lurker repped this.
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the kicking the ball really far away before it's actually out happen in a JV high school game years ago. In that case you can emphatically signal for a clock stoppage before giving the player an admonishment. Everyone is satisfied.