2019 MLS Schedule

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Nov 19, 2018.

1. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. What is the obsession with having 50% of the teams make the post-season. For all of the MLB's flaws, they get the playoff part correct.

3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14 teams is a ********ing joke... shit, 12 teams is a joke.
    I’ll take midweeks and playing through the breaks to avoid this ridiculous playoff intermission.

The extra wild card one game playoff in the MLB is ridiculous, but it’s not half as bad as MLS.
    Cheap ********s like Jay Sugarman want this. That’s what it comes down to... MLS was finally correcting the playoff problem with continued expansion... now they are resetting things again and making it shitty.

4. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

MLS, basically. Not a huge fan of anything that rewards mediocrity. Teams in the 15th & 16th spots will point to how close they were to a playoff spot.

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree with both of you. We all know that the broadcasters dictate these things though. Playoff games have more at stake, which leads to more drama, and higher ratings. Besides, it's not like this is something new for MLS. Sheesh, they had 8/10, 8/12, 8/15, an 8/16 making the playoffs.

I have to be honest.......haven't heard too many folks complain about more than half the league making the playoffs in the NHL and NBA (since before most of us were born btw)...............

Don't be shocked when the NFL decides to add more teams to the playoffs. They'll do that before they add more regular season games. Which, btw is stupid as well seeing as the CFL has an 18 game schedule.........with 9 teams.........6 of which make the playoffs.........

Honestly as a Union fan and STH............I hope they let more teams into the playoffs with the ever expanding league. If they don't.............playoff appearances will be even fewer and further between for the Union. Especially with well heeled Nashville and Inter-Miami entering the league in 2020.

Off topic but, MLB should shorten the regular season, and add more teams to the playoffs. That would help keep people interested in the game for longer. It would also generate more interest from Fox and TBS, and ESPN, leading to more $$$ coming into the league.

derek750 repped this.
  6. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. I'm a hypocrite too because I watch as much of the MLS playoffs as I can. :whistling:

7. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever it's worth, this is the reason I watch no non-Flyers regular season NHL games, and just pop into Flyers regular season games on and off (that is, they're not 'appointment viewing' for me). I love hockey, but these games are just so meaningless because, as you say, half the league gets in. And it's pretty common to hear even fairly hardcore basketball fans say things like they only really start paying attention around Christmas.
    Contrast that with the NFL: I'm watching Chiefs-Rams right now (and multi-tasking on Big Soccer, I guess) because the game at least feels like it matters.

8. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are clearly just building towards my 36 team MLS model.

wantmlsphilly and cwelch999 repped this.
  9. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    3 big takeaways for me...

1. Ending in early November would mean a minimum 4 month off-season for every team, and 5 months for the other half of the league that misses the playoffs. No way we can do that. I think they have to start playing in February, but get creative with the scheduling so that the Montreals/Minnesotas/New Englands of the world play minimal homegames during that month.

Plus, as an ATL season ticket holder, I don't want to wait 4-5 months in the off-season. One of the beauties of soccer is that club season is around at least 75% of the time- having a 4-5 month off-season would be awful.

2. Over half of the league getting in the play-offs would be no fun. I won't go into that as others have already touched on it.

3. Ending in early November would mean less TV competition. Going up against CFB conference championships every year has been rough.

10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

drewuke, Dills, buzzkiller23 and 2 others repped this.
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta STH...RBNY favorite club? We'll get the best detectives on this guy!

drewuke and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  12. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost me at "as an ATL season ticket holder". Please go back to your side of the tracks and talk about your rich owner problems over champagne and caviar.

"Is a $15 million transfer fee for a DP striker going to be enough?"...Try worrying about whether your owner can afford to pay for a scouting department.

"Going up against CFB conference championships every year has been rough"...try wondering if you will ever get to watch your team play a home playoff game again.

ScottyMac26, OwlSaver, drewuke and 4 others repped this.
  13. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Y’all are going to think I’m stupid, and you should, because...

This thread was in the “trending” section on Bigsoccer and I assumed it was in the MLS general section. Didn’t check to see if it was a team forum.. my bad. I blame how tired I was.

Tyr, LiverpoolFanatic, OwlSaver and 8 others repped this.
  14. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ernst holds 1 presser and we're instantly on our way to the top!

16. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Or we are just dragging bg down to our level.

ScottyMac26 repped this.
  17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Supply and demand... in the case of NFL, the shortness of the regular season keeps interest high. Opposite applies to MLB. Just my opinion but 8 in the playoffs seems about right for MLS now.

LiverpoolFanatic and cwelch999 repped this.
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, imagine if the 2018 regular season would've ended on October 6th of this year? That was the 5-1 dismantling of the Loons.

S'all good, man. Don't let these (other) crotchety a-holes scare you off.

Since you're here, think you can see if Mr. Blank would be willing to gift Jay Sugarman a few hundred million dollars?

19. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So....does this mean ATL and us have a rivalry now? A wayward BS poster? No less contrived than the I95 Cup or whatever we have with the Revs.

You'd think that Atlanta would be a little more respectful because of the last time the Union marched into town....*

*Historical shots fired

20. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    75% of teams could make the playoffs and the Union would still fight for that last spot.

21. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And people will still argue Curtin should be kept for another season.

22. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm hoping that the MLS hurries up and gets to 40 teams so we can have 2 levels and (hopefully) fight to get relegated and promoted every year. Or better yet just let the shitty MLS teams slot right into the USL playoffs. Whatever just something to make things interesting. Also a GWAR night would be cool. They could probably actually get GWAR to show up play too. haha GWAR.

lopezzzz repped this.
  23. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. You can tell it's offseason and we're bored. A GWAR reference, lol!

[​IMG]

cwelch999 repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't consider the Union's last 2 playoff appearances as having been fought for, though.

OldRetiredCoach and Handsome Pete repped this.
  25. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He deserves a chance to bring in his guys.