2019 MLS Salary info

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by NashSC, Jun 18, 2019.

1. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    We normally have a thread for this topic don't we? Please remove if there already is one. I searched and couldn't find one with the latest info released. It appears this was released on 6/1/19.
    https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide
    PDF: http://s3.amazonaws.com/mlspa/June-1-2019-Salaries-Alphabetical-Web.pdf?mtime=20190612135339

Short ESPN article discussing some numbers: https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...0/mls-salaries-ibra-earning-record-$72m-in-19

I didn't understand this part. Is Dos Santos still getting paid by MLS?

RafaLarios and EvanJ repped this.
  2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, he had a no-cut contract, and the Galaxy had to buy him out.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  3. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Is he earning a salary somewhere else also?
    I have no idea how all this works and have so many questions. If you have to pay him anyway why not use him until his contract is up?

Edit: According to Wikipedia he isn't playing anywhere right now.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Believe they wanted to move on to another DP.

5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All teams have the authority to "buy out" one player per season. When a club buys out a player, their roster and cap space is freed up, but the club still owns the contract and has to either pay for nothing, or try and make a deal to release or transfer the player.
    LAG needed the DP slot, they got rid of their worst DP, but the contract is still there, so the Galaxy are still paying him. He was awful, so had they not used the out clause, they would still be paying him anyway to sit on the bench, but would have had to get rid of one of their other DP's.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, the Rapids did not use the buyout when they got rid of Gashi, they just cut him to free up the international spot and he's still hitting their cap.

7. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    It is surprising to me that they didn't find any other teams in the world that would buy him. Seems taking something would be better than nothing, but again I don't know the details of how what I just suggested work.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the salary that the Galaxy were paying him, I'd wager that many teams don't value Gio at that price point..........

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, the Galaxy would have to eat at least some of his salary. But why eat all of it? You'd think there would be a team somewhere in Liga MX who would take him for cheap.

NashSC repped this.
  10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine he is getting his full salary still, and if he were to accept a deal on the cheap, the Galaxy would reduce his pay by that much, so he would essentially be playing elsewhere for free. He may have simply decided to stay home and enjoy a huge salary.

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    He is still getting his full salary. But unless he's planning on retiring, he should play somewhere to maintain his value. I doubt LAG are picking up multiple seasons at 5 mil. So he'll need a job somewhere next year.

NashSC repped this.
  12. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I never said someone would pay his whole salary. Paying any amount of it would be better than nothing, it seems.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would have to accept the deal however. So if someone is willing to pay him $1m, why would he accept it?

14. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    ceezmad repped this.
  15. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    If they sold him, would he have to accept it? Serious question. I know sometimes in the sports world the athlete doesnt get much say depending on their contract.
    If LAG own his contract my original query was based on an assumption they could sell him if they so choose to.

16. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Boy how things have changed. Most of the time when we get these numbers there’s a lot of talk and analysis about MLS spending on players; whether they are spending enough; whether salary spending is growing fast enough; how far we are behind LigaMx in salary spending, which teams are spending too much for their results, which teams are too tight-fisted, etc...

But we just saw data that non-DP senior roster average salary has grown by a 150% in the last five years, so we are now talking about a couple of overpaid flops.

It’s almost like BigSoccer members don’t even care about overall salary spending anymore.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, in soccer the teams have to agree to terms first, and then the player has to agree. The Galaxy accepted some offers for Gio, but he rejected them all. I think MLS currently owns his contract so he is unable to go shop himself around. He needs to wait for it to expire. In other words, Gio decided to take a 6+ month paid vacation. Cuz he's Gio (and it was possibly a financially sound decision to do so to be fair)

jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    He really wasn't awful, but he was injured more often than not, with not much enthusiasm shown to come back from those injuries. The Galaxy did try to keep him, but the rules didn't let them. (they tried to get Alessandrini to take a pay cut, but he didn't agree)

19. jeffclimbs

jeffclimbs Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    A few more numbers to go along with the graphics that the MLSPA provided. Five years ago (the April 2014 report), only 12 players (2.2% of all players) made $1 million or more, now 55 (8%) do. Even more striking, only 7 players (1.3%) made between $500,000 and $1 million five years ago, now 116 do (16.8%). At the lower end, 52.1% of all players made under $100,000, now only 32.9% do. Total wage bill for the league five years ago was just over $115 million (555 players). Now it is over $287 million (689 players). All numbers here based on total compensation.

007Spartan, RfrancisR, ceezmad and 3 others repped this.
  20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #20 PhillyMLS, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    A Liga MX team still might, but by the time LA bought him out the Liga MX transfer window was closed, I believe. So they didn't have anywhere to move him so they bought out his contract for MLS rules but he still is technically on MLS' payroll like Yura Movsisyan. They both are still paid and have a contract with MLS so the league controls what they do up until the contract expires (which is how Yura ended up in Sweden last year).

Edit: Also, I'm surprised that no one brought up that Pity is on 900k a year (least for this year). Yes, he cost a bunch but he came to MLS on a salary that is less than Skjelvik makes. Other notable incoming salaries, to me, are Frankowski on 662k (that beat out a Russian offer) and Lucas Rodriguez on under 300k.

chrayatl and POdinCowtown repped this.
  21. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great info. I just got around to really looking at these numbers. One thing I found interesting is that the league median in total club wages is now up to $10,702,045.55 mln (I used the average of RSL ($10,832,522) and DC United ($10,571,569.00)). That is a 10.45% increase over last year's year end median of $9,689,537.84 by DC United. That is before any mid year additions like Bou, Gonzalez, and Gallardo are factored in. 16 of 23 teams from last year have increased their spending. Again, that is before any mid year additions are factored in.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember this?

upload_2019-7-21_22-57-35.png

I just wondered how things have changed.

2018 salaries (Sporting Intelligence)

1 England $3,935,197
    2 Spain $2,896,151
    3 Italy $1,999,865
    4 Germany $1,837,613
    5 France $1,302,347
    6 China $1,051,603
    7 Russia $877,071
    8 Turkey $864,053
    9 Brazil $670,740
    10 Canada $519,883 (MLS)
    11 S Arabia $507,933
    MLS 2019 $414,803
    12 Belgium $402,941
    13 Mexico $402,566
    14 Argentina $379,054
    15 Portugal $357,540
    16 USA $352,992 (MLS)
    MLS 2019 non-DP $345,867
    17 Switz $324,020
    18 Holland $323,488
    19 Japan $315,043
    20 Austria $233,110
    21 Scotland $231,891
    22 Ukraine $222,682
    23 Greece $170,612
    24 Denmark $159,020

Quite a difference.

NeilB, POdinCowtown and 007Spartan repped this.