2019 MLS Primary Kit Rankings

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Club25Football, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Club25Football

Club25Football New Member

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    No doubt I will get ripped a new one for some of my choices, but I decided to rank all 24 primary jerseys for the 2019 MLS season for my wee blog about soccer tops. Think this will definitely spur on some debate, so figured it was worth sharing with you all!

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2019/03/18/2019-mls-jersey-ranking/

These are just my two cents, I'm sure everyone will disagree with at least one of my hot takes!

MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't looked, but I can already tell you that everything you said is completely wrong. :)

One note, while Zulily definitely got its start as an e-commerce site for kids and mothers. The point of their sponsorship of an MLS team is that they are expanding into the men's market as well... Not to mention the hefty portion of MLS fanbase that is female. Given their goal to expand beyond kids and mothers, sponsoring the Sounders makes sense for them. It expands awareness of their brand into an area that they don't have a lot of awareness in and it also allows them to advertise to a market they are already in at the same time.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor nit, the Rapids blue is the Nuggets' blue, not the Avalanche's. The rebrand was specifically Avs burgundy and Nuggets blue when they announced it in 2007.

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you would have done this a few years ago, we would have been the worst jersey's by a long shot (Our spiderman jersey's not only a slap in the face they were horrendous).

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The San Jose Earthquakes are currently in their third consecutive year of having the worst primary jersey (and primary uniform as a whole) in the league, after having had among the best primary jersey and uniform the prior three years. :(

-G

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland is ranked near the top.................Philly is at the bottom.............It's the same jersey, one is Green, and one is Navy Blue.....

Ismitje repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he doesn't like the way the sponsors logo on Philadelphia's jersey looks.

Oh Toronto is on the bottom, because it's all red, but Columbus is at the top with a all yellow jersey (except for the black accents).:confused: Maybe the black accents on the Columbus jersey make the difference.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One got rid of the gold that was “iconic” about their jerseys, the other has always been green. ;)

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby puke is NOT Iconic, and neither is Khaki!!!

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but it nailed their brand. ;)

11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, as a Crew fan, I don’t particularly dig our new home kits this year. I would put them much lower than 3rd. Our previous home jerseys were far better IMO.

But...there is a big difference between Cbus’ and TFC’s kits. Toronto has no use of accent color at all. Very plain design. I really don’t see how you can compare the two.

If you go by the writer’s basis for his opinion:

Respect for tradition, heritage, and club colours
    Strength of design
    Detailing
    Sponsors and the way they are integrated
    Congruency between front, back, and sleeves

...I really don’t see how you wouldn’t Cbus closer to the top and TFC closer to the bottom.

12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The new Motorola sponsorship makes a huge difference to the aesthetics of the shirt. I bought a 2019 authentic despite the fact that I could have gotten last year's one at a big discount.