2019 MLS Playoffs Conference Quarterfinals Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Oct 15, 2019.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were there any video reviews at all in this first round of games? I don't remember any off the top of my head, but I wasn't necessarily paying attention.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So leaving aside the Seattle-Dallas dust-up, I found two things interesting from Instant Replay that weren't actually highlighted by Instant Replay:

My first question relates to the initial handball shout they discuss in stoppage time of the second extra time. I don't think it's a punishable handball, but that's not what is interesting to me. The analysts then state that a subsequent corner kick was taken quickly (they suggest it was too quick to have the previous incident thoroughly checked via VAR). But, there are two issues with that. First, it should have been a goal kick. Second, if it was a corner kick it should have been on the near camera side. Did the referee crew really land on corner kick and allow it to be taken on the wrong side? Or was there a reason that they re-ordered the taking of the initial corner kick? It's got to be the latter, which renders the whole discussion about a potential handball moot, but I just don't see it.

Similar question regarding the tackle around 4:17. They focus on the fact that Stott gets the call right because the tackle is clean. Great. But the defender lets the ball go over the goal line and Stott indicates goal kick... which seems strange. I guess it's just a brain fart by Stott, but it's a pretty difficult one to justify. If the tackle is clean, it's a corner kick. The only way to justify the actual decision is if Stott thinks the defender missed the ball but the attacker just kept walking into him. Minor blip in the grand scheme of things, but definitely odd.

3. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Smokes. I missed the game but if that footage is real (ie, not from later/earlier) than that is a huge huge huge miss. Maybe a delayed VAR review from earlier?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 MassachusettsRef, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    I watched it again and again. It looks like it is the subsequent corner because you can see Silva still giving the big arms of "what's going on, that should be a goal kick" after he returns to the penalty area and #11 of Dallas is running back from the position he would have been in at the end of that play.

This would be such a massive mistake that I refuse to believe it's what actually happened. I really wonder if Saghafi had a reason to retake the corner kick itself, but nothing is clear from the available video. Anyone able to take a look at the match video itself uninterrupted?

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It really doesn't make any sense at all. There doesn't seem to be any whistle that stop the taking of the taking of the original corner to order a retake. The AR doesn't raise his flag or anything to mark improper placement of the ball.

Again, I have a hard time believing that the crew would allow the corner to be taken that blatantly from the wrong side. Something else must have happened in between.

If not, a really awful brain fart.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've learned there was an intervening corner--taken from the correct side--before the one shown by Instant Replay.

jarbitro repped this.