2019 MLS Playoffs Conference Quarterfinals Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Oct 15, 2019.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10/19/19

Atlanta United vs New England Revolution
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (1PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Eric Weisbrod
    AR2: Philippe Briere
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

Seattle Sounders vs FC Dallas
    CenturyLink Field (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Cameron Blanchard

Toronto FC vs D.C. United
    BMO Field (6PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Tim Ford
    VAR: Alan Kelly
    AVAR: Peter Balciunas

Real Salt Lake vs Portland Timbers
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Kyle Atkins
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Dave Gantar
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

10/20/19

Philadelphia Union vs New York Red Bulls
    Talen Energy Stadium (3PM ET)
    REF: Christopher Penso
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Eric Boria
    4TH: Joe Dickerson
    VAR: Robert Sibiga
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Minnesota United vs LA Galaxy
    Allianz Field (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Alex Chilowicz
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

2. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are unsurprising assignments. Safe.
    PRO will probably need to use Canadian Rs in the playoffs, and Gantar had his best season ever this year. I'm normally not a Gantar fan, but he stayed out of trouble this season and managed games well. Not sure if that's enough to land him a playoff whistle though. I thought Ford also did very well, but maybe the All Star 4th (I think that was him) was enough of a reward. Vasquez might have earned a whistle too? Also, not sure if Bazakos played his way out of a playoff whistle at the end there. Other than those questions, I bet the playoffs will be the usual suspects. Barring controversy (which VAR is supposed to eliminate, ha ha ha) they might be able to staff the whole playoffs with basically the crews they are using this weekend, just rotate the 4ths and odd VAR in.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we account for 13 matches and presume at least two referees will work twice, Unkel is the only one that sort of surprised me. He had a controversial year. Not saying it's undeserved--and, of course, he's senior to many of the options. But it's the only one that stuck out a little. Villarreal and Fischer being completely unavailable may have played a role there.

Given Fischer is unavailable and almost certainly would have got a late round match, this is an interesting point. I like Gantar and I hope he gets a whistle. But I don't think PRO is as convinced and I'm not sure the Canadian factor matters much to Webb at all. We'll see.

I don't think you'll see any of the 4ths in the middle except maybe Toledo. Vazquez had to have played himself out of an assignment with the Portland match, right?

You can pencil in Chapman now for MLS Cup. As @ManiacalClown pointed out to me, the Referee of the Year has gotten the assignment every time since the inception of PRO aside for the one year Kelly was ineligible.

Marrufo has to work--possibly even twice (conf semi on one side and conf final on the other?). Sibiga and Kelly will get games. Then I'd guess one or two of the first round referees will work again (Elfath and/or Stott?). You toss in Toledo and you're done. It's hard to see Gantar fitting, unless you put him above Toledo and/or only give Marrufo one match. Possible, but I think unlikely.

jarbitro repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't know what MLS games have you been watching, but no way on earth will Bazakos get a playoff assignment.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was let go after this season like Stoica. He's a thoroughly average to below average professional referee and his assignments reflect that.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the 2015 exception, the last time RefOTY didn't get the Cup final was 2011 when Mark Geiger won the award, but Ricardo Salazar had the whistle. PRO began functioning at some point in 2012, I believe. Since then...

2012: Petrescu
    2013: Grajeda
    2014: Geiger
    2015: Kelly (Marrufo MLS Cup)
    2016: Kelly
    2017: Chapman
    2018: Kelly
    2019: Chapman

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It's also telling that since PRO took over, only twice has a US FIFA referee done the MLS Cup Final.

7. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Saghafi is being very active, getting in between players to prevent flare ups. I think it's working, but it's striking to see given our normal instruction to keep some level of distance.

8. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Wait, no cards there? Gonzalez should be off, and I would also send Nouhou.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same

10. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Is this seriously what PRO wants? 11 v 11 with so many missed cards?

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'll tell you one thing after watching the first half of ATL:NER -- the players really hate this crazy leave-the-flag-down-and-let-VAR-sort-it-out business.

Whose game is it again?

12. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    This is what happens when you don't show enough cards early in a match.

This was a testy match throughout, and Saghafi let it get out of control.

Treating both Nouhou and Gonzalez equally was the right approach, but they should have both gotten yellows or both gotten straight reds.

Sending off Gonzalez would have been a huge decision, but Gonzalez should have known better given that he had already been carded for dissent after racing across the field earlier in the match.

And the consequence of Saghafi keeping his cards in his pocket become apparent a few minutes later when Gonzalez got into a third verbal altercation with a Seattle player, this time with Roman Torres.

Horrible match management that showed that Saghafi was in over his head.

13. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I'm not sure I think this showed Saghafi was in over his head. I think this is exactly what PRO wants, and Saghafi delivered. It did not feel to me like Saghafi didn't know what to do, but was doing exactly what was expected. I think there's a chance he's rewarded.

Dayton Ref, ubelmann and Midwest Ref repped this.
  14. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I was there in person and thought Saghafi did a tremendous job in a number of challenging situations. You could quibble with the number of times that he got in players’ faces, but that is a tiny part of a game where he controlled a match with several lengthy periods of high challenge (including the first few minutes).

I don’t know yet what TV showed for the Nouhou/Gonzalez incident - watching in person, I instantly thought we had a straight red coming for Nouhou (who created all kinds of trouble for zero reason - none of this happens if he just accepts the foul he caused) and either a second yellow or a straight red coming for Gonzalez - but then the consequences are obvious. FCD loses their keeper and is out of subs, with minutes to go until KFTM, and while Gonzalez has to be sent off if Nouhou is sent off, he’s not the initial or more serious offender. Much harsher punishment - almost certainly creating a loss - for the team that was less deserving of punishment at that moment. In context, I 100% would imagine PRO would be happy with the result of what he did.

And yes, the later altercation with Torres was absurd and high risk by Gonzalez, but managing that is what makes these folks pros.

This is absolutely a game where the Ref could have been the story, and Saghafi did an excellent job keeping that from happening.

(Also, MLS playoffs, man. What a show.)

jarbitro repped this.
  15. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I can't append my own post anymore, so (if anyone besides me cares) I'll edit my thought, having watched this on screen. (It's at 114:30, plus I've put it at https://streamable.com/wemxe.)

I have this wrong: Nouhou commits the foul, is walking away, gets pushed by FCD's Hedges, pushes back, and Gonzalez sprints out of goal and puts his hands on Nouhou's neck. Nouhou then pushes him down (by the face) to the ground. I blamed Nouhou for creating the trouble, but that's wrong - it's Gonzalez, and so my "less deserving of punishment" is wrong.

Saghafi doesn't see the contact from Gonzalez - he turns away just at that moment. What's interesting here is that (assuming VAR is working as expected) there is basically no way that this shouldn't be reviewed on the field - it's a clear and obvious RC for at least one player. Saghafi could decide not to give the cards for the reasons above - he doesn't want to disadvantage FCD so significantly - but that doesn't feel like VAR's call, and I can't otherwise figure out why this doesn't get sent down for review.

Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.
  16. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I am not a regular MLS viewer, but I decided to watch the Seattle Sounders - FC Dallas game in so order to watch new-FIFA referee Nima Saghafi. I didn't take notes but I found his performance very disappointing with three crucial mistakes not corrected by VAR (penalties to Dallas for tripping and handling at end of 2H and ET respectively, violent conduct(s) missed - not even a card was sorted out!), and a non-existent disciplinary control let him totally lose the control in the last stages. Lacking soft skills , tolerating the most wild dissents / player-player conflicts, horrible whistle technique - I am missing the key skills to took him to the FIFA list.

Since Geiger it seems that USSF / PRO pushes simply talentless referees internationally (Marrufo, Elfath, Saghafi), I say that with all the respect of course. I think you can observe this trend across the world, eg. Guida who will début in CL on Tuesday.

17. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    OH with all respect OF COURSE.

seattlebeach and ManiacalClown repped this.
  18. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Take it from one who has been in Saghafi's position (both with MLS and with FIFA). That exchange is not a red card in an MLS playoff match. You can argue about whether it should be or not, but there is no way that MLS, and by extension PRO, wants red card(s) there. When everyone knows the bar for what is a card gets raised in the playoffs, it limits some of the tools that the referee would otherwise have available to manage things. VAR is operating under the same constraints. I would be shocked if PRO says that this is a missed review.

19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After what we saw in the World Cup, I just have to realize that the pro game operates under a different set of “actual” rules. They want a spectacle and matches ending 11 v 11. Unless we see someone laid out with brass knuckles or a steel chair (I’m only somewhat joking), we just aren’t going to see a straight red card for anything other than DOGSO-DGH.

It certainly takes several arrows out of the quiver for referees to keep control of games, but that’s why they are at that level.

20. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Why does it take Ted Unkel so long to whistle such obvious fouls? Just serves to raise the temperature unnecessarily.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Of course near the end of the match he blows a foul when Minnesota had a clear advantage.

RefIADad repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was dumbfounded. The only possible things I could reason for that was either he was fatigued and just had a brain lock or he was going to caution Zlatan and thought differently. Either way, that was a big miss. I think this is a season Unkel would prefer to forget.

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Kelly, Marrufo, Sibiga and ____ next round?

I could see PRO giving the LA derby to Stott. Toledo seems the obvious alternative. Gantar the darkhorse if the whole Canadian thing matters. If it's not one of those three options, it means re-using Elfath or Penso right away, I think.

I could also see a scenario where Sibiga is held for the conf finals. At that point, I guess it would look something like this:

Conf SF Kelly-Marrufo-Stott-Elfath
    Conf Finals Sibiga-Marrufo
    MLS Cup Chapman

24. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I was going to venture we’d see Sibiga in the next round and Elfath in the conference finals. But that would leave someone out - I would have guessed Toledo but just a hunch.

25. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    In real time, I could tell he was holding the whistle, and I swear it looked like the MNUFC player with the ball stopped and Unkel perceived that the MNUFC player wanted the foul called. However, that player then resumed and made the pass just as Unkel blew the whistle. I think it was one of those really unfortunate situations where he was trying to read what the team wanted and just got it wrong.