2019 MLS Playoff Race/Discussion About Other Teams [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're within five points of the six teams ahead of us. However, they've also got 1-2 games in hand. And Portland is playing almost exclusively at home the remainder of the season. So from that perspective it's not looking good.

However, with so many teams within striking distance, if any of those hits a real poor run, we could sneak in. And I think there's a decent chance that one out of the six will fail down the stretch. Just a question whether we're good enough to take advantage.

2. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're capable of winning all the rest of our games. Of course, we're also capable of losing almost all the rest of our games.
    If we can put some $%^&* shots on goal and quit gifting goals on defense, we have a decent chance to get in.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dallas can keep the goal explosion working they might win a lot of their remaining games and sneak into the playoffs. Should we be expecting them to continue this streak after having a non goal scoring streak earlier? Seasons are odd birds with teams changing on the fly. BTW, I am very encouraged with Ferreira's dribbling and think he is starting to channel his Dad's ability there. It really creates an extra worry for other teams who can't just shut down Barrios and Pomykal. That it makes it easy for Cobra to just hang around and score easy goals is what we will be watching. Oh and can someone work with Acosta to put his knee over the ball before shooting? He has a good hard shot but kicking field goals almost every time isn't working. Servania is much more dangerous on long shots.

5. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta has become our designated Carlos Gruezo distance shooter, spreading joy to the fans in the endzones as he gives them the pleasure of catching an actual MLS game ball. Way to step up, Bryan!

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Remember kids: don't play the Bryan Acosta drinking game (over the bar, drink). You'll go blind from alcohol poisoning.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to know the Bryan Acosta drinking game rule covering a shot going out of the stadium. Triple Mai Tais? He was pretty close in the second half when he hit the Soccer HoF sign. Double Mai Tais for that?

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The guy is getting worse by the game.

9. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    his shots may have gone to hell, but his role as a single pivot holding mid, has improved leaps and bounds and that is a BIG part of why the team has been winning of late.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does that mean we're F'd in Chicago? His discipline is garbage and he's a walking card every game (but so are most good players in his position). I could've sworn I saw a tweet during the Houston game that said he needed a yellow card to sit out a game and he should just get one vs Houston and sit it out vs Cincy. I swore he got one but (**checks notes**) I guess he didn't.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to post after the game that I'd rather see Servania in that role but saw Acosta's stats and changed my mind. He is doing a sort of unnoticed great job other than his shots which may be mental at the moment.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd give a shot to Cerrillo who is made for that role (he had some ridiculous amount of touches recently in a NTSC game). If players who excel at NTSC don't get shots when they're available they'll start not giving their all like when Hyndman was in charge and they knew no matter what they did in practice they wouldn't get minutes.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Time for everyone to catch up...

Saturday, September 7th
    New York City FC vs New England Revolution, 2:30 pm (KUNV-23 Univision, Twitter)
    FC Cincinnati vs Toronto FC, 6:30 pm (ESPN+)
    Orlando City SC vs Los Angeles FC, 6:30 pm (ESPN+)
    Colorado Rapids vs Seattle Sounders FC, 8:00 pm (ESPN+)
    Portland Timbers vs Sporting Kansas City, 9:30 pm (ESPN+)

Wednesday, September 11th
    New York City FC vs Toronto FC, 6:00 pm (ESPN+)
    Houston Dynamo vs Minnesota United FC, 7:30 pm (ESPN+)
    Colorado Rapids vs Los Angeles Galaxy, 8:00 pm (ESPN+)
    Real Salt Lake vs San Jose Earthquakes, 8:30 pm (ESPN+)

15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like him a lot as our dmid. I just wish he'd either stop shooting or figure out how to do it.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm really pulling for the Rapids this week. Would really help FCD if they won both games. Hard to pull for Houston but that would be a big help if they knocked off the Loons. They might even have a chance because Minnesota usually counters against good teams but that's Houston plan too. SJ-RSL I'm hoping for a tie. I guess that's what I want with KC-Portland too. LAFC is so far ahead it really doesn't matter how they do against Orlando unless another loss causes them to lose their confidence. Unlikely. They'll probably smash Orlando.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys on the 3rd Degree podcast made a good point. By getting the yellow against FCC, he’ll get suspended for Chicago, he gets some rest after his international duty with Honduras, and he’s back for the game in Seattle. And so... he was working REAL hard to get booked against FCC.

18. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    . holy crap, someone actually listens to it. praise be.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I catch it weekly too. Any idea what your listener numbers are?

20. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I know them, but they're embarrassingly small.

I once believed it was the content or the quality of the pod, but after speaking to a couple of other local soccer pods, knowing what we do w/ the KickAround pod version and the metrics we see for stuff posted on DMN - it's clear to me the team just isn't very popular and the audience for FCD specific stuff is, tiny.

The Athletic chose not to hire a FCD specific writer because any articles they had posted received very low traffic. To pull the curtain back, articles about the academy and youth (not NTXSC) posted at DMN tend to traffic equal to, or better, then an average FCD senior team article.

So, my official answer to your question has been - "the podcast equivalent
    to the level of attendance of FCD home games".

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, great. Continued depressing state of affairs.

22. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    that wasn't my intention, and I should probably provide some perspective: I come from a radio background and come from broadcasts that expect a listenership of tens of thousands (at a minimum) and have been close to a million.

podcasting is so very different. there are those that will tell you once you break that "2 thousand" downloads/streams mark, you're on to something. I find that ridiculous, but again, I'm 99% sure none of the very few making real money from podcasting are running a listenership of four digits.

our podcast isn't even close, anywhere close, to four digits. And maybe that is totally normal for a MLS team. Just because our traffic at DMN is low, and the podcast listenership isn't in the tens of thousands - I can't tell you that any other MLS team's numbers are that vastly superior. Like, is the best ATLUTD pod getting 10000 downloads? Does the paper in PDX stories on the Timbers even get close to the Trailblazers? No, idea.

My point was, our metrics are in line with what you would expect from a team that can't fill it's own 20K stadium more than just past half way.

burning247 repped this.
  23. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the paywall for DMN come down during the recent transition? That's what was limiting me to specific stories (practice reports, OTB, FCDY, and podcasts when possible). Most of the other "news" is covered in multiple places, just missing ya'll's journalistic twist ;).

24. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    No the DMN paywall is still up, they simply changed the site experience. Paywalls are the future, whether we like it or not.

I think Buzz is considering putting all content he post at DMN, at the same time, on his new Pateron page. That way, you can donate whatever amount works for you and get access to his specific content. Not sure if he's done that yet or not.

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England