2019 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Darkwing McQuack, Nov 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No, I don't get the Texas joke; but FYI - the Colorado Buffaloes are back and gold- not black and yellow.

But kudos for a great idea. Somebody's alternate uniform should be stout themed. Brown (almost black) colored socks and shorts, with tan shirts.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Texas is burnt orange, better known as brown, while Texas A&M is maroon, aka dark brown.

I'm with you on Gold v. Yellow. I went to Purdue which is Black and Old Gold, not that nasty yellow worn by schools like Iowa.

Hmmm. My color wheel seems to be expanding. But, no, the Rapids and RSL are still both Red.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington - Purple and Gold
    LSU - Purple and Yellow (regardless of what they claim)

newtex repped this.
  5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Has anyone noticed some variability in sizing in the jerseys lately? Traditionally I fit into a M in replica and L in authentic, but I went into the adidas store downtown to try on the 2018 Fire jerseys, and the authentic L just seemed a lot larger than previous years, the M still kinda tight on my lack of six pack gut as usual.

I'd really like to get an authentic since they're discounted right now, but no point shelling out that much $ for something that doesn't fit right.

On a positive note, the Fire display at the flagship adidas store was a lot more prominent than their other soccer stuff.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Week 2 jerseys:

Home team first.

Chicago - Red (primary, dark)
    Orlando - Purple (primary, dark)

New England - Blue (primary, dark)
    Columbus - Yellow (primary, light)

Dallas - Red (primary, dark)
    LA Galaxy - White (primary, light)

Houston - Orange (primary, light)
    Montreal - White (secondary, light)

Salt Lake - White (secondary, light)
    Vancouver - Dark Gray (secondary, dark)

San Jose - Black (primary, dark)
    Minnesota - White (secondary, light)

Seattle - Green (primary, light)
    Colorado - Red (primary, dark)

NY City - Light Blue (primary, light)
    DC United - Black (primary, dark)

Kansas City - Light Blue (primary, light)
    Philadelphia - Dark Blue (primary, dark)

Atlanta - Red/Black (primary, dark)
    Cincinnati - White (secondary, light)

LAFC - Black (primary, dark)
    Portland - White (secondary, light)

Corrections appreciated.

Only 6 white shirts this week. 10 of 11 home teams wore their primary shirt.

I don't know what to think about dark/light. It is apparently not a hard and fast rule. We started off the week with two teams wearing dark shirts in the Chicago/Orlando game. And then Houston wore their light shirt Orange against Montreal in their light shirt White.

I'm really confused as to why Houston wore Black in Week 1.

The rest were all dark v. light but most were pretty predictable pairings.

harrylee773 repped this.
  7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Week 3 jerseys:

Home team first.

Chicago - Red (primary, dark)
    Seattle - Black (secondary, dark)

Columbus - Black (secondary, dark)
    Dallas - White (secondary, light)

Houston - Orange (primary, light)
    Vancouver - White (primary, light)

NY Red Bulls - White (primary, light)
    San Jose - Black (primary, dark)

Orlando - Purple (primary, dark)
    Montreal - White (secondary, light)

DC United - Black (primary, dark)
    Salt Lake - White (secondary, light)

LA Galaxy - White (primary, light)
    Minnesota - Dark Gray (primary, dark)

NYCFC - Light Blue (primary, light)
    LAFC - White (secondary, light)

Cincinnati - Blue (primary, dark)
    Portland - White (secondary, light)

Atlanta - Red/Black (primary, dark)
    Philadelphia - White (secondary, light)

Toronto - Red (primary, dark)
    New England - White (secondary, light)

Colorado - Red (primary, dark)
    Kansas City - Light Blue (primary, light)

Corrections appreciated.

Back to 10 white shirts in the 12 games. 11 of 12 home teams wore their primary shirt. 4 games were primary v. primary, 1 was secondary v. secondary.

9 games were dark v. light so that seems to be the plan but there was one dark v. dark and two light v. light so it is not a strict rule.

8. Club25Football

Club25Football New Member

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    Prop for putting in the effort, not unlike some of the kit graphics I see for the EPL on Twitter, which tracks usage across the season. Is there any particular reason why Columbus decided to wear black? I know they've swapped yellow and black around in years prior, but it seems a little odd still. A trick to get fans to buy both kits rather than just the home?

aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There used to be more elaborate kit tracking threads but that was even more effort:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/ml...-season-long-uniform-tracking-thread.2029626/

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2017-mls-uniform-kit-tracking-thread.2039164/

I got tired of doing it week after week.

Marketing was probably the main idea for Columbus wearing black. Most MLS teams wear their non-primary shirts a few times at home. Kansas City used to be notorious for wearing all different shirts at home. They barely had a primary kit some years.

One reason why I'm doing this is to try to figure out what the MLS rules are for kits this year.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  10. Club25Football

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    Interesting, although I suppose a lack of rules might be a rule in and of itself. Some European leagues are particularly fussy about kits, so I'm surprised to note the Crew can get away with this in 2019.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #536 newtex, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    "get away with this"? Wearing a secondary shirt at home is getting away with something? I guess I don't follow European leagues that closely but I didn't realize teams had to always wear their primary shirts at home.

And this is nothing new in MLS. If you follow the links that I posted you'll notice that in 2017, the most recent year that I kept the stats, the home teams wore their secondary shirt 5% of the time that year. That wasn't often but it wasn't zero.

DonJuego repped this.
  12. Club25Football

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    Sorry, European bias shining through in the way I worded my previous reply.

There is a consensus among fans, especially in England, that a team must play in home colours as often as possible (this including away matches too) - I strongly believe in this philosophy too, but then club here tend to be so old and steeped in tradition that a certain degree of snobbery is to be expected.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hey, maybe you can explain something for me.
    When kits "clash" does that mean they are different or too similar?

As far as I can tell the word "clash" means to be different.
    Even the OED says:
    I can't find any definition of "clash" that means too similar. But it sure sounds like British speakers are using the word that way when talking about kits. I would think, speaking American English, that you would want a clash of kits but it sounds like it is the opposite.

We'll save saying "floor" instead of "ground" for another day.

14. Club25Football

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    A kit clash, in Europe, means that two sets of kit are (too) similar to one another. Arsenal playing Manchester United with both sides wearing home garb is a clash. Although I hate arguing semantics, it is a misappropriated word in the strictest of senses.

Your mileage will absolutely vary in terms of what is and is not a clash, though; Manchester City and Chelsea played one another with both sides wearing their home tops. Some would say that's a clash, as both are blue, whereas others would consider it absolutely fine. Things get a little more iffy when more than one colour is at play. Let me refer you to this excellent article by Museum of Jerseys;

https://museumofjerseys.com/2018/09/10/not-a-wise-kit-choice-at-morecambe-for-swindon/

For the most recent World Cup, FIFA enforced strict dark/light regulations to ensure even colourblind people could watch matches without too much confusion; although a similar rule does not exist in any of the domestic European leagues, teams do often go for a dark/light away kit when their home is light/dark, and some do seem to wear them at inappropriate times. As an example, Watford barely ever have to change (only v. Wolves, and possibly West Ham and Burnley), but seem to trot out their green away kit as often as possible. This might be for commercial purposes, but it is interesting to note nonetheless.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So "clash" for kits has a meaning completely unrelated to the other meanings of the word "clash". Weird but interesting.

Ugh, and the word "top". That just sounds so wrong for men's clothing.

There is a whole discussion of light v. dark earlier in this thread. That is what I was talking about when we were trying to figure out the MLS rules this year.

16. Club25Football

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    We play fast and loose with our languages. For what it's worth, talking about a jersey over here will result in puzzled looks - same for 'primary' instead of home.

Something I suspect you may find interesting is the Kit Crimes Twitter account, which is a good example of how people think about away shirts being worn when there is no clash between the opposition and a club's home/primary shirt;

https://twitter.com/KitCrimes

17. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when they had the extremely popular argyle kit, right? Is it my imagination, or did they have four kits at one point? For some reason I'm thinking they had a dark blue, a light blue, the black argyle, and a white & silver argyle in a single season.

Club25Football repped this.
  18. Club25Football

Philadelphia Union
    Netherlands
    Mar 18, 2019
    I think you're conflating the 2013, 2014, and 2015 seasons into one big clump of memories. Can't blame you considering striking yet samey SKC kits can be.

https://www.colours-of-football.com/colours03/usa/kansas/kansas_1.html

Don't get me wrong though, I love everything they've put out since the latest rebrand. That being said, I wouldn't mind a throwback kit, getting a bit of that 90's look back :D

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #544 newtex, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    I don't think they ever had 4 shirts but in 2016 Kansas City had three shirts: Light Blue, Dark Blue, and White (with the silver argyle pattern). That year SKC wore the Light Blue (ostensibly their primary shirt) 13 times, White 12 times, and Dark Blue 9 times. I'll have to look to see what they wore for home games but my recollection was that they wore all of those.

EDIT: In their home games Kansas City wore Light Blue (primary) 7 times, Dark Blue (secondary) 4 times, and White (third) 6 times. As I said, they really mixed it up.

This is a 2016 chart that kyleburkholder used to make. It shows all of the kit combinations that year.
    [​IMG]

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was also, to date, the last season the San Jose Earthquakes had a good primary uniform. :) ... :(

-G

21. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Now this is hilarious...

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saputo doesn't care about Montreal, why should MLS? :)

But damn, that is just horrible. I wonder if it has happened with any other clubs, or if it is just the Canadian operations that f**ked up.

23. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you both. I kind of thought that I mixed in the two third shirts in my mind. Either way, they definitely had a great stretch from their rebrand through the end of the third kits. The black argyle kit was dope.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of traditions for old leagues around the planet, in Argentina domestic competition, it is tradition that if there is a color clash, then the home team will wear their secondary uniform. Thus allowing their own home fans to view the visiting team in their uniforms that they are traditionally known for over the generations. As well delivering on the concept that it is not the road team that should bring a different jersey, but any home team can just easily reach into their own closet and put on a secondary uniform with much more ease. I.e. a gentleman's gesture when a guest to the party shows up at your door wearing your same shirt.

Example of this is when Rosario Central plays away to Boca Jrs at the Bombanera. Both sharing the same color scheme of Blue and Gold, thus Boca sports their secondary uniform.
    [​IMG]

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Purdue fans will tell you on U. of Washington's choice of the color Gold, the specific color used is Old Gold.
    Thus, as far as colors in our nation's vast sporting culture goes, teams like LSU are indeed Gold and is Vanderbilt or as well our U.S. Military Academy at West Point are in good order using the concept of Gold in both traditional and Old Gold forms, but still calling it just Gold in their songs and community.