PBP: 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Rd. 1: ATL vs NER

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 17, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium – Atlanta
    October 19 – 1:00 PM ET
    Fox Sports Southeast

AJC.com United page here.
    MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    Revs preview here.

I don't know about you lot, but I had such fun at that New England match I say we do it again. What are you guys doing this Saturday?

4 Champions League matches
    6 US Open Cup matches
    1 Campeones Cup match
    34 regular season MLS matches

Now it's down to the MLS Cup Playoffs. 2 trophies won, but the big one is still left to claim. Atlanta is an outside 3rd favorite shot to win this year's Cup according to fivethirtyeight.com, for reasons which we all know - Offensive potential but still prone to defensive lapses; Loads of individual (MLS-level) talent but spotty individual effort; A great home record but a highly suspect road record.

First step to redemption: A return visit from the Revs and a gauge on what Coach Arena can do to change results compared to 2 weeks ago. Based on that last match we know Gil and Bunbury can make threatening runs off long balls, that the Revs will look to test Atlanta's outside backs and, now likely, whoever is playing centerback in lieu of Miles Robinson's confirmed absence. We also know that the Revs will do what they can to bottle the front edge of their box and force Josef to push wide or come back deeper.

So what does FdB do in response? Does he start Pity this time and look to change the angle of attack? Can he get Meram up higher without sacrificing defensive coverage? Can Hyndman actually find a way to work between Meram and Nagbe? The good news coming from the Stripes' camp is that the practices have apparently been going well, the team is preparing for possible curve balls from the Revs, and Josef is seemingly instilling in the boys the killer instinct that they'll need to go deep into the postseason.

This year's postseason is now single-match play, so each game should take on a more defensive stance. No off-days allowed, so if Atlanta has any errors or risks a start like we almost so last time the boys will only have that day to recover. The good news is that Atlanta likes playing at home, and they know they'll get round two at home as well. So at the least they should feel they have a decent shot at making the eastern final, at which point anything goes. So put aside everything else and focus on this: Win or go home. Win 4 and you get a shiny piece of silverware.

It won't be pretty because the revs are playing with nothing to lose, but Atlanta has been here and knows the taste.

3-2, Stripes win.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Season right here. We win and advance, 3-1 again. Vamos!

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's at home, so I think we score more than one, but the defense will be makeshift, so I think the Revs get some, too. I'm saying 2-1 good guys.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We win 2-0 with Parkhurst playing center back and Larry directly in front of him, but what I really want to talk about is Miles Robinson and the USSF. Rumor is the hamstring tear will keep him out another match if we win this one. That sounds like a pretty serious hamstring tear (and if you've ever seriously torn your hamstring you know this is a very long term injury). We might have seen the last of Miles this season, and why? F.U. Greg Berhalter.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Such us the effect of a single elimination format. Any given Sunday and all that.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Parky gets the start. Pity on the bench. Cue comments about roster management. Team must really want Hyndman to come back next year.

Barco needs to have a good game today.

VFish repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently Bravo's complaints about Pity turning the ball over to easily finally got to Frank. The coach hates that, but I think we are going to miss PT in the starting 11 today.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    VAMOS!

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m recording but let’s go Stripes!!!

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Uncle Arthur to bang the gong... err, I mean drive the spike today?

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Even better, Rick Flair, and since we are going old school Parkhurst gets to lead the team onto the pitch. HUP!

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Barco doing his best Pity impression. Stop embellishing.

That said this ref sux, stops a promising attack to award us a set piece from 40 yards. Thanks for nothing.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 0-0

Atlanta has been the better side but both sides with only 1 quality shot by my count.

Hyndman's role is clearly to run and do what he can to move the ball forward, allowing the defense to stay deeper. As a result Revs have not had the long ball play working near as well as last match.

Shortcoming is the struggle getting Meram and Gressel forward. Atlanta has it had many options for through balls and Josef has spent more time moving side to side than up and down.

If they keep this up Atlanta should get a goal or 2, but they may need to try something different to break thru the Revs defense.

As to the ref, I thought the replay showed keeper contact. Will have to see.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    No need for a card. This ref is going to decide the game if we don't score... mark my words.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    No offense Bravo, but we need a spark, the defense seems solid, so I say bring on Pity.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    LGP gets his money's worth.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    New England have to be happy with the 0-0 score line.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    FdB has Tito and Pogba warming up. I'd rather not see Pogba.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This ref is blind.

Subs on, Tito due to score. Pogba due to give up one.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    GOL! GOAL! GOL!

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Great pass.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Esco is our top posrseason scorer, I think...

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--